MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
school me on 4x4 ATV's

what are some decent reliable atv out right now? something I can take out on a few thousand acres and not worry about it breaking down on me? I might be buying one soon... maybe a 05 or newer... 4x4 500cc and up.... I dont really plan on getting all crazy with a lift or monster mud tires... but I do want something with a good reliable 4x4 system...
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #2
JBIRD5363

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

A Honda or Polaris would be perfect.
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Honda Foreman, its not the biggest or fastest but its dead reliable. I had a yamaha grizzly and something was always broken on it. Most of my friends have Polaris and theirs also spend more time in the shop than on the trails. Had mine since 08 and the only thing that broke was the tail light cause some drunk plowed into the back of it. The foreman isn't the best if you want a mudder because of live axle in the back but is hands down the best all around wheeler. My dad had an 05 foreman 450 that I tried to break. I finally managed to rip off the entire rear axle and still managed to drive it back to camp using the front wheels LOL.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIRD5363 View Post
A Honda or Polaris would be perfect.
A used Polaris would definitely not be perfect. They are great new but after a couple years they fall apart. Plus with that independent suspension if you hook up to anything heavy it squats to the ground.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

The Honda 4 wheelers are insanely reliable. We've got a Honda 350 ES 4x4 that gets used all year up at our hunting camp. It's used to haul things, pull trailers, mudriding (deep mud and water) as well as retarted drunk shinanigans with wheelies and jumping it. IT WILL NOT DIE and has never left anyone stranded. Just like Honda 50's, it's a machine that will always vouche for as bulletproof.

Stay away from kawasakis. We had a Brute force for 5 months and everytime we took it out to play, something broke or it would overheat.

The newer polaris models i've also heard are nice but you don't want one for serious mud riding. I heard they are not the best for that type of thing. Something to do with belts? idk.. I havn't really looked into that.

Yamaha would be my second choice if for some reason i couldn't find a Honda and found a killer deal on a Yami. It would have to be a good deal, though.

Just my .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #6
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Honda Foreman... is bulletproof. I think ours was a 300 and it was a little boss. Reliable with enough power to get you through. You won't be running out with the 500+ but you will be able to get in and out of places well enough and for those other times a little wench never hurt anyone.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

You guys are making me want an ATV.
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

It is ok... I want a Motard or a Dirt Bike worse every day.. I honestly need to get rich to maintain my bike habit cause I don't wanna give up either one of my SVs but I want other bikes too ha. If only I were a single man.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:32 AM   #9
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Ive only had Polaris......if you dont do a crazy lift and giant mud tires, they are reliable. Once you start doing that, expect to go through axles, etc. Also with whatever you get, if you take it in the mud, make sure you really hose off the radiator. it will bite you in the if you dont.

I just picked up my new off road toy last night.....new RZR

IMG 20111117 165048

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
JBIRD5363

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
A used Polaris would definitely not be perfect. They are great new but after a couple years they fall apart. Plus with that independent suspension if you hook up to anything heavy it squats to the ground.
I guess iv had better experience than most with Polaris I've got a 95 500 cc 4x4 Polaris at my ranch that gets used daily that's never had a problem we've only done normal stuff to it tires, batteries, fluid changes. We also have a Polaris 800 that runs like a champ. My firs pick is a Honda though you just can't tear them up.
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
ELSpurgeO
Jeremy

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 R6
04 R6
02 R6
06 ZX10 *SOLD* 05 ZX636 *SOLD*
04 CBR1000RR *SOLD* 99 ZX9 *RIP*

I've had amazing experiences with Kawasaki. My brother in law and I both had a prarie 650 which was reliable considering the beating I put it threw. As was said before, If you go too crazy you will go threw ball joints and cv axles. Mine had 4 inchs of lift and 28"/12" Outlaws all the way around and only ever threw one ball joint.

Jason got a brute force 750 and never had one problem out of it. It also had the lift and 28"/12" Vampires.

We did most of our riding out at Newport and Highway 90 if that gives you any idea. We also made a trip to Alto which was also very fun.

Another point-of-view: When I worked at Highlands Kawasaki I saw more polaris come in than anything. Hondas came in but were rare. Of course there were Kawis but not near as much as the polaris.

On another note, the polaris side-by-sides are typically good.

As far as polaris 4 wheelers, I would never trust anything with POS in the name.
ELSpurgeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:59 AM   #12
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

I had a feeling honda was gonna be my first choice... Ive got a small 70cc honda from the late 80's I swear I used to do horrible things to that fourwheeler when I was little and it just kept on truckin!

Ill go look at some honda rigs!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #13
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Here's a thought.
Some folks want a big (700cc +) ATV so they can have lots of power and haul . That's great if it's what you want but when it comes to mud the extra weight can be a problem.
Consider a midsize (350-600cc's). The cost is lower, they burn less gas and weigh less. It makes a difference on big balloony off road tires.
I have also been told that staying away from electric (power) steering might be a good idea. Adds complication and another thing to break when you are off in the boonie sticker weeds.
I have also heard that power steering can get twitchy at higher speeds and there have been more accidents than is widely known. A little tug on the bars from a pothole and they wind up on their heads.

I'm sure I will get flamed for the above stuff. It's just things I was told when I was shopping for mine. Maybe not true but things to look into and think about.
I got a Kawi 360 Prarie and have been happy with it. Use it on the deerlease and it has gotten me through I couldn't walk through.
Even pulled a disc harrow while I was planting a food plot. I nearly had a heat stroke but the ATV kept right on workin.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak06 View Post
Ive only had Polaris......if you dont do a crazy lift and giant mud tires, they are reliable. Once you start doing that, expect to go through axles, etc. Also with whatever you get, if you take it in the mud, make sure you really hose off the radiator. it will bite you in the if you dont.

I just picked up my new off road toy last night.....new RZR

IMG 20111117 165048
Got-!!! What kinda job do you have that affords you a truck and 4-wheeler like that!!?

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #15
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by del240z View Post
Got-!!! What kinda job do you have that affords you a truck and 4-wheeler like that!!?
Oil and gas brother.....oil and gas. And the truck isnt all that, its a work truck model so it has no power windows or locks, and the 4wd is floor shift

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #16
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

I dont need anything fancy... no power steering or any stupid ... Id be happy with a solid rear axle honda 500... Ive ridden a kawi and liked it too... Ill see what price ranges Ill be looking at when shopping for a used 4x4 atv... Hopefully I can find one unmolested and stock
Old 11-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

you should be able to find a few of them......find the old guys that just use them on their hunting leases

Quote:
Ben C.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #18
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

i like the foreman 500... seems like a good bike... should I go newer with fuel injection? or stick with an older carb'd quad?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #19
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak06 View Post
you should be able to find a few of them......find the old guys that just use them on their hunting leases
hey bro, we should race our trucks
Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
i like the foreman 500... seems like a good bike... should I go newer with fuel injection? or stick with an older carb'd quad?
The carb'd one will probably be cheaper if things go wrong because of no electronics, but you cant beat FI. No choke, runs smoother

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
hey bro, we should race our trucks
my truck would get smoked lol. i really need to re-gear

Quote:
Ben C.

Advertisement