Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

BIKE

attachmentphp?attachmentid50609&ampd1321466040might be a good idea

info@halffastgroup.com

Last edited by BaoPee; 12-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with grom for my gf nunieboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 04-10-2015 08:42 AM
...... GF sent me this.. Lucar Off Topic 8 07-27-2013 12:31 PM
GF needs POS Bike that Runs to Learn On!!! Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 03-15-2010 08:36 AM
My new GF drsmallo General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-28-2009 07:15 AM
Anyone else's gf... seratt Off Topic 31 09-09-2008 10:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #22
1308cc
954 isn't a liter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VFR800
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR(Wrecked)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR (sold)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (sold)
2010 Yamaha FZ6R (sold)

Member Garage

My wife never rode a day in her life before taking the MSF. Her, her brother and I took the course together. She was the only female at the MSF. She kicked all of our butts in the tests. She has done very well on her bike. Just tell your lady to do the MSF, and she'll decide from there.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #23
MisterVu
Breasteses

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1308cc View Post
My wife never rode a day in her life before taking the MSF. Her, her brother and I took the course together. She was the only female at the MSF. She kicked all of our butts in the tests. She has done very well on her bike. Just tell your lady to do the MSF, and she'll decide from there.
Good to hear
MisterVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #24
vagabundo

Experience: 8 years

Your girl probably shoudn't even be driving a car..
vagabundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #25
Lucar

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

My girl just did her MSF.. and now she wants her own bike as well
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #26
TIFFANY&Co.

Bike(s):
2003 R6
SDG

I am a horrible car driver! Hate the free way! I'm good on the bike. Do just fine at all speeds and any condition. Go fig...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
BobViolence
Go Duc yourself.

Bike(s):
2013 BMW R1200RT
2012 Ducati 848evo
2001 Suzuki SV650 (wife's)
Sold: Victory Kingpin, TL1000S, Daytona 1200,
Katana 600, GS500E

Was in the same situation a while back

My story (or rather my wife's story) ...

I have ridden bikes since I was a kid, but about 10 years ago the wife expressed interest. Made her take the MSF class and I took it with her even though I already had the M endorsement. Prior to the class, we decided on an SV650, as we wanted something that wasn't overpowering, her skills wouldn't outgrow immediately, and physically fit her well (plus it's a fun bike for me to ride as well).

Didn't want her to go into the MSF class with no experience, so I put her on the bike and taught her to ride with several sessions in a nearby large parking lot. She picked things up pretty quickly overall, but from memory, the following issues stuck out:

1. When simple stuff went wrong (like missing a shift, stalling on takeoff, etc), she had a tendency to lock up and do nothing. I chalk this up to just being inexperienced ... she has improved immensely, but I had to teach her to just relax, and not panic when little things went wrong.

2. Her spacial recognition was not quite up to par. As an example, she would be doing 30mph through a parking lot, not realizing that if some cager decided to back out, by the time she saw it, she would have already hit the car. I demonstrated this to her by standing out of view behind a parked van, and then told her to drive by at her "normal parking lot speed", and as soon as she saw me step out from behind the van into view, I wanted her to stop as quickly as possible without locking things up (obviously not pointed straight for me). We did this, and because of her speed and reaction time, she ended up coming to a stop way past where I was, meaning she would have plowed into a car backing out of a space in a parking lot. Afterwards, she got it.

After some initial growing pains and the MSF course, I put her on the street to start interacting with the real world (with me on my bike as well), and I gave her this piece of brutal advice:

"You will either become more aware of your surroundings, or you will end up dead."

In the end, I don't regret anything along the way. She has done well, improved over time, and always rides within her limits (plus I've got an SV650 to ride whenever she isn't on it).

So if your girl wants to ride, let her go for it.
BobViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #28
MisterVu
Breasteses

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobViolence View Post
My story (or rather my wife's story) ...

I have ridden bikes since I was a kid, but about 10 years ago the wife expressed interest. Made her take the MSF class and I took it with her even though I already had the M endorsement. Prior to the class, we decided on an SV650, as we wanted something that wasn't overpowering, her skills wouldn't outgrow immediately, and physically fit her well (plus it's a fun bike for me to ride as well).

Didn't want her to go into the MSF class with no experience, so I put her on the bike and taught her to ride with several sessions in a nearby large parking lot. She picked things up pretty quickly overall, but from memory, the following issues stuck out:

1. When simple stuff went wrong (like missing a shift, stalling on takeoff, etc), she had a tendency to lock up and do nothing. I chalk this up to just being inexperienced ... she has improved immensely, but I had to teach her to just relax, and not panic when little things went wrong.

2. Her spacial recognition was not quite up to par. As an example, she would be doing 30mph through a parking lot, not realizing that if some cager decided to back out, by the time she saw it, she would have already hit the car. I demonstrated this to her by standing out of view behind a parked van, and then told her to drive by at her "normal parking lot speed", and as soon as she saw me step out from behind the van into view, I wanted her to stop as quickly as possible without locking things up (obviously not pointed straight for me). We did this, and because of her speed and reaction time, she ended up coming to a stop way past where I was, meaning she would have plowed into a car backing out of a space in a parking lot. Afterwards, she got it.

After some initial growing pains and the MSF course, I put her on the street to start interacting with the real world (with me on my bike as well), and I gave her this piece of brutal advice:

"You will either become more aware of your surroundings, or you will end up dead."

In the end, I don't regret anything along the way. She has done well, improved over time, and always rides within her limits (plus I've got an SV650 to ride whenever she isn't on it).

So if your girl wants to ride, let her go for it.
I would have loved to have kept this cheapo CBR600RR i bought awhile back as my first bike to teach her on. I can't pull myself to teach her on my Ninja. It's a pretty heavy bike considering i have less than half my feet of the ground at a stop. I'm 5'6-5'7. With her on it, even with it lowered she wouldn't be able to stand comfortably. If the bike started to tip, there would be absolutely no way she'd be able to hold it up under her own power.

If she were a bit taller id be more comofortable teacher her the basics on my bike at the least, as i can only demonstrate it to her verbally but its not gonna do her anygood unless she can practice it. We pretty much agreed on letting her do MSF and then so how she takes to it before we decide to dish out any money on a bike.
MisterVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #29
1308cc
954 isn't a liter

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VFR800
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR(Wrecked)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR (sold)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (sold)
2010 Yamaha FZ6R (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVu View Post
It's a pretty heavy bike considering i have less than half my feet of the ground at a stop. I'm 5'6-5'7. With her on it, even with it lowered she wouldn't be able to stand comfortably. If the bike started to tip, there would be absolutely no way she'd be able to hold it up under her own power.
That's what I hate about the FZ6R. It is a heavy bike, but while riding around it hides the fact that it's so heavy. It's when you are at a stoplight you feel the mass. It's not Harley heavy, but a lot heavier than it looks, and a lot heavier than my CBR. I got used the CBR's lightness, then hopped on her bike, it caught me off guard, near dropped it.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
venmichaels

ive got an 09 ninja 250r for sale. check my thread.
venmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #31
Alleykat

I still dont suggest you let her but an easy way to let her realize biking isn't for her is simply let her take MSF.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:00 PM   #32
AngusTEx
Hang the up & DRIVE

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Honduh

Good choice on the MSF, Vu. When that's over, go from there.

I had the same predicament with my gf. After a long talk, she agreed to be passenger only. But ever since we moved to Houston we've never done 2-up, and Houston drivers are the most unforgiving. , I'm slowly converting to track only until we move the out of here.

Early today, I was cut off by this one douche in an Expedition. It took all my power to not walk up to his window at the next light while I was fuming.

If she does continue riding after MSF, it'd be a of a feeling to have your significant other as your riding partner.

Advertisement