MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
MisterVu
Breasteses

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

GF wants a bike:

So, like the title states.. my girlfriend has asked me on and off if we can get here a bike. I keep telling her no. no. no. no. no. etc.

Well reason being, she scares too easily and it concerns me that she'll end up laying down because she paniced or something similar.. for example, Driving over random potholes in my old car(which was slammed) would cause her to *gasp* even though she knew it was coming every time.

Well today i suggested that she take MSF with me since im doing to to lower my insurance rates and finally get my license which i've procrastinated thus far after riding all this time

Im kind of warming up to her maybe getting a 250 since its not as heavy seeing as is shes 5'2-5'3 and weighs no more than 110lbs and she really doesn't need much faster. But with crazy texting drivers and whatnot im still uneasy.

- Looking for some outside input from my MH community on this matter. All help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
MisterVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with grom for my gf nunieboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 04-10-2015 08:42 AM
...... GF sent me this.. Lucar Off Topic 8 07-27-2013 12:31 PM
GF needs POS Bike that Runs to Learn On!!! Nightster Ridester General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 03-15-2010 08:36 AM
My new GF drsmallo General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-28-2009 07:15 AM
Anyone else's gf... seratt Off Topic 31 09-09-2008 10:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

Let her take the MSF and see how she does. If she scares that easily maybe she will be extra cautious and ride for a nice long time before any incidents.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

MSF will def. help her decide
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

If she wants to ride, let her ride.. dont deny her the experience because you fear for her safety.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
If she wants to ride, let her ride.. dont deny her the experience because you fear for her safety.
Mainly fearing for her safety because she has a 5yr old
Old 11-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
yumbeef
beef eater

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

msf, license, gear, then buy a used bike. less of a loss if she decides biking isn't for her.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVu View Post
Mainly fearing for her safety because she has a 5yr old

well talk w/ her about that. and explain the realities and make sure she has life ins. and plans if she dies. thats the reality, if she accepts that her decision to make.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
obed
TMGP Pimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

well, is she really spooks that easy, the riders course might change he mind...
so take the course and make a decision after... the course can only help either way...
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
msf, license, gear, then buy a used bike. less of a loss if she decides biking isn't for her.
She supports me fully in the moto world because its what i love to do, which is another reason im sure she wants to ride. I've already bought her all gear needed for when im backpacking, so thats not a problem.

Guess like previously stated. MSF and then go from there. Im not doubting her learning/riding capabilities at all. Just didn't really know how i should feel about her riding
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
So, like the title states.. my girlfriend has asked me on and off if we can get here a bike. I keep telling her no. no. no. no. no. etc.

Well reason being, she scares too easily and it concerns me that she'll end up laying down because she paniced or something similar.. for example, Driving over random potholes in my old car(which was slammed) would cause her to *gasp* even though she knew it was coming every time.

Well today i suggested that she take MSF with me since im doing to to lower my insurance rates and finally get my license which i've procrastinated thus far after riding all this time

Im kind of warming up to her maybe getting a 250 since its not as heavy seeing as is shes 5'2-5'3 and weighs no more than 110lbs and she really doesn't need much faster. But with crazy texting drivers and whatnot im still uneasy.

- Looking for some outside input from my MH community on this matter. All help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
I always tell prospective riders the same thing:

1) Take the MSF course.
2) Buy a cheap, used, low powered bike as your first one and accept that you WILL fall down go boom.
3) Buy gear - even if it is BiLT . Its still better than bare skin.
4) Understand that when you're riding, you will be hot and sweaty, cold, wet, uncomfortable, scared, near killed at least a half dozen times a day, nobody can see you, even those that do see you dont care, and yes, EVERY cager is out to kill you. Even a 5mph crash can kill you. You'll get bugs in your face, all over your body, even june bugs at 50mph can sting, etc. Understand also that even with all of that, all you'll care about is the ride - the other is just good stories to tell later.
5) If you enjoy it, accept that few of your other passions will matter anymore, and you'll sell your soul or your first born for just an extra hour on the bike.
6) Get used to the fact that your hair will never look good again.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
King Of Dirk

Much as you may want to, you can't protect her from everything.

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright and when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoice." - Stephen King
King Of Dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

does she want it for daily riding on streets or only for track? imo, having her as a passenger is also risky due to houston drivers. awareness only goes so far. perhaps yall can both use the opportunity to do some will/estate planning in case of a horrible accident. i need to get off my and discuss it with my brother/parents even though i'm only 25.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 AM   #14
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Quote:
She supports me fully in the moto world because its what i love to do, which is another reason im sure she wants to ride. I've already bought her all gear needed for when im backpacking, so thats not a problem.

Guess like previously stated. MSF and then go from there. Im not doubting her learning/riding capabilities at all. Just didn't really know how i should feel about her riding
to be honest, that seems a little unfair
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

I'm a believer of learning on a small dirtbike first!
learn clutch, brake and turning...then graduate to the street with MSF,

many hours can be spent building/training more confidence and comfort not to mention safety and developing good habits before getting on the dangerous streets of Houston

EX:

I bought a 125cc ($995new) and use it to teach the beginner!
images?qtbnANd9GcTXN2joy8IGdVIRtAM8bDy0y qC76oA8lgo 6MtdYjt6xduI0Sm

Last edited by ArtistMarty; 11-16-2011 at 11:43 AM.
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
well talk w/ her about that. and explain the realities and make sure she has life ins. and plans if she dies. thats the reality, if she accepts that her decision to make.
Already have, everytime she asks lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
well, is she really spooks that easy, the riders course might change he mind...
so take the course and make a decision after... the course can only help either way...
Yeah, guess that's where we have to start before any decisions can be made.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #18
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
does she want it for daily riding on streets or only for track? imo, having her as a passenger is also risky due to houston drivers. awareness only goes so far. perhaps yall can both use the opportunity to do some will/estate planning in case of a horrible accident. i need to get off my and discuss it with my brother/parents even though i'm only 25.
I live in Beaumont. Not roughly the size or traffic as Houston. But Id say street riding/commuting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
lol most guys would love if their GFs got a bike.
Indeed i would. Just thinking about the risks involved considering how timid she is. Guess i need to relax a little on the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
to be honest, that seems a little unfair
IMO it is. Which is why the thread was made in the first place and why i asked her to go to MSF and that i'd join her as it could be something we can do together.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #19
Alleykat

No way I would want my gf to ride a freaking scooter muchless a real bike.Your name is Vu and you have "i <3 pho" on your avatar,my WILD guess is your vietnamese.And if you are then so is your gf which hey! - she sounds like my vietnamese 5ft 90lb girlfriend.NO WAY IN mine could ever ever be safe on a 2 wheeled vehicle.She sounds just like yours getting nervous while she drives a car.Not to forget she has the seat all the way up just to reach the pedals and both hands gripped tight on the steering wheel like those 80 year old ladys.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #20
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
No way I would want my gf to ride a freaking scooter muchless a real bike.Your name is Vu and you have "i <3 pho" on your avatar,my WILD guess is your vietnamese.And if you are then so is your gf which hey! - she sounds like my vietnamese 5ft 90lb girlfriend.NO WAY IN mine could ever ever be safe on a 2 wheeled vehicle.She sounds just like yours getting nervous while she drives a car.Not to forget she has the seat all the way up just to reach the pedals and both hands gripped tight on the steering wheel like those 80 year old ladys.
Sounds about right. At the least, even if we end up not getting her a bike.. i want her to take MSF. But, youre pretty spot on about everything else. You sir, can relate to my concerns.

Advertisement