MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
ecclissiass

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 (stolen)
2005 Honda CBR600RR (traded)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (wrecked)
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Ducati Diavel (dream bike #2)

Member Garage

Post My hands are starting to itch...

As I get closer to my next bike purchase I am starting to stockpile all of the equiptment I want on my bike. Then, I ran across an idea about installing a bike alarm system. I was originally torn between either LoJack or the Scorpio SR-i900R Motorcycle Alarm system. And while Lojack would most likely be the better choice (that and insurance that covers theft), it occurred to me that even with Lojack installed I would also like to add an additional security system just for "piece of mind". I mean, insurance replaces the stolen bike with another bike but not your bike. For every single piece of aftermarket part you slaved over to put on, insurance does not cover that (been there done that). Anyway, I figured a good tracking system might be in my best interest. So, I was referred to the GARMIN GTU10 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=67686

Nice product in theory. So, I bought it. It's small, compact and waterproof. It has a Geofence feature that alerts me when the bike is moved outside of a predetermined location. And, it is battery powered so it is not an additional strain on the bike's battery. Sounds pretty good right? So I figure, if the bastards touch or move the bike, and Lojack alerts me, while I move in to catch the crooks I have an additional system that tells me what direction there are traveling in (in the event it is a situation where they just toss it in the back of a van or truck).

Moving on. I also liked the idea of a wireless system that tells me what my tire pressure is looking like on the fly. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tiregard-wireless-tpms/
Pretty cool, huh? Bought it. And, with the reviews I get from you guys and gals, I also got a good set of rubber to use in conjunction with that system.

So, I am pretty much set on the aftermarket parts I want (for now). Well, that and my safety gear (another post all to together. Too much to talk about, me being a gear and all). Now, all I need is a bike to put all of this onto, again. Stay tuned...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starting to get the itch... cbrmonkey Taking it to the Track 17 04-26-2013 10:12 PM
Itch? What do you think? NewRider Off Topic 13 03-26-2012 12:44 PM
I got an itch.... BabyGirlGSXR Off Topic 47 07-06-2009 07:37 PM
Off season itch Somebody1010 Taking it to the Track 55 11-05-2008 04:29 PM
I got the itch for a bike again Dobeman General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 05-04-2007 08:25 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

youre not getting an alarm with ign. kill and perimiter sensor
u can run that in conjunction with a tracking
Old 11-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Well, sorta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
youre not getting an alarm with ign. kill and perimiter sensor
u can run that in conjunction with a tracking
The ignition sensor is all well and good if they try to "hotwire" the bike. But, I am pretty sure there are more situations of (especially among the more professional crooks) just throwing it in the bed of the truck and hauling . Now the perimeter sensor intrigues me, but, it would alert me everytime anyone walks near the bike (animals, the "lookie but no touchie" admirer, etc. etc.) One time I even caught two chicks (sexy as ) taking pictures on my R1. I am sure they meant no harm, but, they saw the expression on my face and apologized (I actually got both of there numbers, cool). Now, I might consider a perimeter alarm especially if I need to walk away from my bike out of line of sight. Just so long as I can have it independant from the other system. And, if anyone who might try to tamper with the chain/disc lock they will have an ear full of the annoying "get the away from me" siren blaring in there ear. Plus, they won't have any clue that I am storming in there direction, prepared to take action. Good idea, thanks.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

How much is the tracking fee once the 1 year free trial is up?.....Never mind, found the price. $50 for the standard subscription. Haven't found the premium subscription plan cost though.

Last edited by FKNA; 11-13-2011 at 07:06 PM.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Found it, the deluxe adds $5 more on top of the standard plan. One thing I'm not too keen on is that it utilizes GSM technology. Wish they would use a carrier that has better coverage.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
craigntx
team ftp

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclissiass View Post
The ignition sensor is all well and good if they try to "hotwire" the bike. But, I am pretty sure there are more situations of (especially among the more professional crooks) just throwing it in the bed of the truck and hauling . Now the perimeter sensor intrigues me, but, it would alert me everytime anyone walks near the bike (animals, the "lookie but no touchie" admirer, etc. etc.) One time I even caught two chicks (sexy as ) taking pictures on my R1. I am sure they meant no harm, but, they saw the expression on my face and apologized (I actually got both of there numbers, cool). Now, I might consider a perimeter alarm especially if I need to walk away from my bike out of line of sight. Just so long as I can have it independant from the other system. And, if anyone who might try to tamper with the chain/disc lock they will have an ear full of the annoying "get the away from me" siren blaring in there ear. Plus, they won't have any clue that I am storming in there direction, prepared to take action. Good idea, thanks.
i have the scorpio 900
if someones too close to the bike it warns them first, then goes off full tilt if they don't back off.
good piece of mind for $325imo.
and it would take some time to cut the disc lock, (assuming they don't just pick it up and throw it in a truck/van) so you can be running up on their to hopefully bust some caps
yeah i'd love to kill a thief, i've lost prolly $10k to thieves in my time
Old 11-13-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

I know many don't have the luxury of a garage kept vehicle. When my R1 leave the garage, it's never out of my line of site. When going on group rides, the final destination (turn around point) always place a factor on whether or not I'll partake in said ride. Goldwing on the other hand, if they can get it.....more power to them.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Found it, the deluxe adds $5 more on top of the standard plan. One thing I'm not too keen on is that it utilizes GSM technology. Wish they would use a carrier that has better coverage.
Actually, I read (and saw on youtube) the system utilizes cellphone towers (AT&T GSM) and sat tracking. I'm not sure how that works but it stated that it receives coverage even under garages and in buildings (similiar to cellphones when Sat coverage is unavailable). Further, the batt time can be adjusted from 24 hours up to five days with a "standby" time of 4 weeks(?).
Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
craigntx
team ftp

Bike(s):

^^ since the lsr ride the amount of noobs will be the deciding factor for me
Old 11-14-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Quick question...

Ok, so since my bike was stolen I will now be keeping my next bike in a storage facility. Probabaly overkill, but I will also be locking the vehicle inside the storage unit with a lock and chain (preferably the ONGUARD Rottweiler Cable Lock). Has anyone had any luck with that specific lock? Or, does anyone suggest an alternative?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
Moc05
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 ZZR600(Sold)
2008 ZX-10R(Stolen)
2014 Honda Grom

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Moc05 Send a message via Yahoo to Moc05
Where did you get the TPMS and for how much? I had wondered about something like that, think I might order it if its pretty decent.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #12
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moc05 View Post
Where did you get the TPMS and for how much? I had wondered about something like that, think I might order it if its pretty decent.
amazon.com for $159.00. It is still sitting in the box. Haven't used it yet. Looks pretty soild though. It got reviews from what I've seen.

Oh, and I have decided to get the ONGUARD Beast instead of the Rottweiler for those following this thread. http://www.onguardlock.com/?page_id=329

Well, according to ONGUARD...

Advertisement