MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

How to ask for sponsorships?

I was wondering how would one go about getting outside sponsors? What information do you tell them about racing? What kind of deals would you work out?

I work in a business park where there are a couple of businesses in motorsports (mostly cars). I'm not racing yet, but just out of curiosity how would you go about trying to get some outside sponsors?

Also the businesses you usually go to every week like the bar or gym where the owners know you. Would you try to get sponsorships from them?
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to secure sponsorships hfa3g11 Taking it to the Track 53 07-15-2008 05:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

I also forgot to add one thing. What would be your duty if someone decided to sponsor you? Do you advertise their business? Or just go out and win races? Or is it entirely up to the agreement you make?

I know its a bit of a random question, but any insight would be helpful. Thanks!
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Stang Man
being rude

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Z1000
2005 KTM 625 SMC(sold)
1994 ZX-11(sold)
1983 Honda Nighthawk(sold)

Member Garage

I'm not 100% sure, but you'd basically need proof of past races and finishes.

Show them that you've raced consistently, make all the races, and place well in those races. Above and beyond that, also prove that you're not a hooligan who is a dirty rat, who might give their business a bad name.

I'm sure most would also like to see a progression up the ladder to more and more serious racing- something that would get some airtime and help spread their name.

I'm not sponsored, but I've had people donate parts to my 24 Hours of Lemons road race team lol. For this, they just need to have an interest in what you're doing, and spare parts they don't use anymore!

A good start would be to utilize social networking. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, and a REAL website. A real website thats laid out well, has all your information, future plans, current sponsors, awesome pictures, a blog to keep your fans updated, etc.
Family bikes: V-Star 1100, Harley 883, KLR-650
Stang Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
CarbonJames
LSTD/TTBC Instructor

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
13 250sx
13 350sxf
12 150sx
07 CRF 230
04 CRF 50/70

Member Garage

it kinda depends on what level you are at and what your goals are for your racing career, if you are real serious, say like Dean and several others who race across the country in different org's the below info is for you.

Sheila Paul, she's a local lady who lives in Conroe, her job is creating racer resumes', you may want to contact her. She's at most AMA and CMRA races, i don't know her contact info, i do know her, i met her at Colin Edwards boot camp, i can get her info if you would like but she is on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...817235&sk=wall)

if you want a basic resume, it's not that hard, Cycle Gear stores are fairly easy to get sponsored by but they too require a resume.

if you want further info, please pm me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivancuriel View Post
I was wondering how would one go about getting outside sponsors? What information do you tell them about racing? What kind of deals would you work out?

I work in a business park where there are a couple of businesses in motorsports (mostly cars). I'm not racing yet, but just out of curiosity how would you go about trying to get some outside sponsors?

Also the businesses you usually go to every week like the bar or gym where the owners know you. Would you try to get sponsorships from them?
CarbonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Experience: 10+ years

My wife keeps denying my applications for sponsorship.

James seems to be sponsored by everyone. Anytime I ask him about something on his bike, he's like...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJames
www dot ex and ex dot com. They sponsor me.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):

whats the benefit to the company sponsoring you? advertisement & write off?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #7
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Build a resume with your past races achievements. Start sending letters out with your resume. Thats how i got my sponsors in motox

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Joshua42007

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
A good way to get people to sponsor you is to prepare a pamphlet/packet and maybe go online and create an account relating to the event so they can know what they are sponsoring.

Ask friends, co-workers, family and you can create a way for people to donate anonymously so they don't feel obligated to give a certain amount.
Write a letter/resume
http://www.resumecoverletters.org/ty...sor_letter.asp
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Drumboy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Like previously stated, use social media and get a real site/blog where you can show traffic info. Let the company know what they're going to get by sponsoring you.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

What ive learned through motocross and now sport bike freestyle is approach the possible sponsor as a deal. Don't ask for a hookup. Say lets work a deal.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

from my experience..

Ask Not what your sponsor can do for you, but what you can do for your sponsor!

Sponsors are looking to promote and associate their product with an image of success. So if you are a "WINNER" the sponsors usually will come to you or are more readily available for enlistment.

Also if you have large following, a popular website, or another means of promoting their product to a specific market.

Many of the available sport specific products and suppliers (Motorcycle Racing) offer a contingency program that can be considered a sort of sponsorship.

Friends/acquaintances or those wishing to become involved or already involved will choose whom they wish to support and how much, regardless of the experience of the individual to be sponsored, (EX:Not what you know but who you know)

a sponsors "contract" would usually require the sponsored individual to preform certain advertising or promotions for the "company" in return for their monetary investment.

first try to achieve local support........... Good Luck!
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
from my experience..

Sponsors are looking to promote and associate their product with an image of success. So if you are a "WINNER" the sponsors usually will come to you or are more readily available for enlistment.

Also if you have large following, a popular website, or another means of promoting their product to a specific market.

Many of the available sport specific products and suppliers (Motorcycle Racing) offer a contingency program that can be considered a sort of sponsorship.

Friends/acquaintances or those wishing to become involved or already involved will choose whom they wish to support and how much, regardless of the experience of the individual to be sponsored, (EX:Not what you know but who you know)

a sponsors "contract" would usually require the sponsored individual to preform certain advertising or promotions for the "company" in return for their monetary investment.

+1
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
from my experience..

Nailed It

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

However. Be aware that if you do get a sponsor then you have obligations. Something I regret. Therefore currently don't try and push the sponsorship thing at all. Then when I want to stop riding for a bit. I can.

Advertisement