MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #21
maxgs

Member Garage

I'm curious why people would suggest brake lines are the best bang for the buck. Can somebody elaborate?
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GoPro upgrade dinosaur Taking it to the Track 12 08-14-2014 02:30 PM
Upgrade 1308cc General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-16-2011 07:30 PM
my upgrade wesleh General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 10-06-2011 06:48 PM
What to upgrade first? Timme' Taking it to the Track 57 07-15-2008 12:41 PM
Upgrade coming soon. Solracer Forum Updates & Feedback 22 11-29-2006 12:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterVu View Post
3 track days, I'm middle pace lvl 2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRising View Post
I'm not in any way being a ...but are you really middle pace L2? Did an instructor tell you that? What track have you ridden so far?
Exactly what Im thinking....Ive been doing track days for 2 1/2 years with more than 12 track days under my belt and I would say Im mid pace Level II. Im no slow poke but I dont consider myself fast....
NOt saying it cant be true but there its very rare to have come up so fast with only 3 track days

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I'm curious why people would suggest brake lines are the best bang for the buck. Can somebody elaborate?
Curt, its someones opinion....so definatly up to the person if it is the best bang for the buck...Dont Grill them with your wealth of knowledge

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #23
MisterVu
Breasteses

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Actually yes i did have an instructor tell me this.

MSR Cresson/ MSR Houston. Im going off of the pack in front of me (Faster L2/3 riders) .. and the people that are getting passed behind me. Of course im not the fastest or lvl 3 material as of yet, but def not the slowest.

So judging by the faster guys in front and the slower guys behind me is where im coming from with midpace lvl2.

Yes i only have a few track days under my belt, but to me it just comes natural to ride (not being cocky). I've learned a lot and still have more to learn with myself, my bike, and the track(s).
MisterVu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
TheRising
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

User is banned

TheRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #25
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I wrote this awhile back. Hope it helps.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=194660
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #26
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post

Curt, its someones opinion....so definatly up to the person if it is the best bang for the buck...Dont Grill them with your wealth of knowledge
Just curious. For the track, I agree that stainless lines provide much much better brake feel and consistency as the brakes and fluid heat up.

On the street where brakes don't get nearly as hot, I think a grippy pad is more bang for the buck. I happen to like Vesrah and run the XX's due more so to all the track events I used to run. Frankly they are overkill for the street. RJLs are just fine and much more cost effective. They will be a huge improvement over a stock pad.

John sells them trackside at South Central Race Center and through P1 racing.

-Curt
Old 11-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #27
fluffy110

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that... Depending on what you are doing, Both pads and lines combined are going to make a huge difference.

Here is the difference: Braided lines dont allow the flex of rubber/stock so when you grab brakes, the feel will be consistent.

Pads will dissipate and stop the heat transfer to the fluid and, depending on the application, will give you a better bite than stock or cheap pads when you have them worn in and up to temp.

The combo of pads, lines, and good fluid, will give you great bite and consistency...

If anyone is curious, i swear by ATE SuperBlue Dot 4 Racing fluid... I wont run anything else in my lines...

Last edited by fluffy110; 11-08-2011 at 04:16 PM.
fluffy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #28
fluffy110

As far as track group and pace, no need to bash or question people here guys... Everyone progresses at their own pace...

Safe Riding out there...

-D
fluffy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #29
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

It helped me, and I'm sure many more.

This is the reason why I chose the setup I currently have, thanks again Cdill

Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #30
TheRising
Banned

User is banned

TheRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #31
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

Very nice write up and very helpful..
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #32
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy110 View Post
I don't necessarily agree with that... Depending on what you are doing, Both pads and lines combined are going to make a huge difference.

Here is the difference: Braided lines dont allow the flex of rubber/stock so when you grab brakes, the feel will be consistent.

Pads will dissipate and stop the heat transfer to the fluid and, depending on the application, will give you a better bite than stock or cheap pads when you have them worn in and up to temp.

The combo of pads, lines, and good fluid, will give you great bite and consistency...

If anyone is curious, i swear by ATE SuperBlue Dot 4 Racing fluid... I wont run anything else in my lines...
Well put. I agree. Fluid... Don't forget about Castrol SRF. Highly non-hygroscopic. Great stuff, just very pricey.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #33
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRising View Post
No...there IS a reason to ask a question...who was bashing anyone?

I asked a specific question because like I was previously saying, the EBC HH in my opinion wasn't good for faster riders. Someone says they've done 3 days and they're mid level 2....that throws up a flag in my book...so I wanted to make sure what he was saying came from an instructor.

Geez...
In no way did i feel bashed or butthurt by you asking. IMO it was within reason to ask. I also appreciate everyones feedback and help.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #34
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

I just upgraded to EBC HH rear brakes and EBC EPFA's for the front along with my stainless lines and frankly. I don't know how I lived without them. I love them though you gotta remember the front brakes are not for grabbing :thumbs up:

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #35
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
In no way did i feel bashed or butthurt by you asking. IMO it was within reason to ask. I also appreciate everyones feedback and help.
Yea twas a legitimate question....I think in your situation your at a point where your going to have to compromise street or track with your brake pads...either some that will last long and work great for the street or pads that will grip well for your pace but not last long nor do well on the street (if that makes any sense) Im sure you will find the equilibrium between the 2 and it will serve you well.....There are alot of knowledgeable ppl on this site so ask a bunch of questions

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:34 PM   #36
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I've given EBC more tries than I care to remember and they've never stopped like the Vesrahs do. Vesrah ftw!
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #37
MisterVu
Breasteses

Bike(s):
2009 Kawasaki Zx6-R

I actually considered buying seperate sets. 1 Street and 1 Track.. but i think it wouldn't do me any good because each track day id have to adjust to a different brake feel. I ride my bike as much as possible and everytime i mod it i have to re learn the bike as a whole. Makes modding it a pain sometimes.

But as of now im on stock pads and they are pretty much not going to cut it anymore.. I plan on ordering pads asap though, so i have much thinking and researching to do before then.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #38
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Maybe I will try Vesrahs for my next set haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I've given EBC more tries than I care to remember and they've never stopped like the Vesrahs do. Vesrah ftw!

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 PM   #39
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

I currently have EBC HH up front, and EBC organic pads in the rear.

The HH pads grip REALLY well and also perform really well when compared to OEM. The organic pads don't grip as much in the rear, this is a good thing so your rear brake doesn't lock up rather fast and slide your end everywhere.

Your HH Pads are Sintered - Sintered brakes last longer and generally speaking handle the heat of heavy braking better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
I just upgraded to EBC HH rear brakes and EBC EPFA's for the front along with my stainless lines and frankly. I don't know how I lived without them. I love them though you gotta remember the front brakes are not for grabbing :thumbs up:

Front brakes are definitely for the grabbing, you just gotta know how and when to grab them. Hit your rear first, and prevent yourself from flipping forward.

Last edited by Joshua42007; 11-08-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #40
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
I actually considered buying seperate sets. 1 Street and 1 Track.. but i think it wouldn't do me any good because each track day id have to adjust to a different brake feel. I ride my bike as much as possible and everytime i mod it i have to re learn the bike as a whole. Makes modding it a pain sometimes.

But as of now im on stock pads and they are pretty much not going to cut it anymore.. I plan on ordering pads asap though, so i have much thinking and researching to do before then.
You'll be fine with a single set of pads. One ride on the new pads and you'll be adjusted to them. Just figure out what your budget is and go from there. I think it comes down to two choices... EBC HH or Vesrah RJL. The Vesrah SRJL's and XX's are suited to racing and more expensive. The EBC Pro's are more expensive as well and also a racing pad.

As you can see there are strong EBC and Vesrah camps. In reality, both will be a big step up from what you have.

Advertisement