MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #101
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
A noob went down on a parade lap...whats new really? Let it go.. lol
ditto that
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ive been studying all day, time for play time.... scrapp Off Topic 29 04-12-2016 10:00 AM
A little night time help for those with babies or who have a hard time sleeping. Street Ninja Health and Fitness 11 08-26-2010 06:34 PM
What time is a good lap time at TWS (Texas World Speedway) eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 06-28-2009 12:35 PM
This time of year, especially these days, time to thank them all... Ridesmart Off Topic 6 12-05-2007 11:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2011, 11:44 PM   #102
Ninja T

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 ZX6R Monster Edition (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
Tim?
Nope
<--- Tim
Ninja T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:48 PM   #103
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
I hate to say it but if you want to learn how to ride without having to go down a bunch, group rides on MH with a bunch of people you don't know isn't a good way. Lots of people like to ride fast and if you are a young buck full of dumb courage you will try to keep up and you will get hurt just like you did today. You need a few riding buddies that you know personally to ride with. This way you know how they ride and you don't go trying to impress people. Seriously dude, you've only been riding for a few days and you've already wrecked. You need to stop riding with strangers and avoid the peer pressure that comes with that because it can kill you. Most people aren't meeting up on this board to have a nice scenic cruise. Most ride sport bikes and simply like to ride fast. You don't need to be getting into that at this point.
Look man... I see where you, and everyone else, are coming from... But y'all aren't understanding. I was at this ride because it was SPECIFICALLY LABELED as noob friendly. Despite the fact that I was pretty much the only noob to show up, Bevo did everything he could (and he succeeded) to keep it at a pace that a noob could handle. And even then, the sweeper and anyone else who was behind me will tell you that there were plenty of times that I fell back, because I wasn't comfortable with the speed of those ahead of me.

MY SPILL TODAY HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH RIDING IN A GROUP.

That bein said, I completely understand what you're saying about riding with strangers. I agree with you completely. However, I don't have any friends that ride. Therefore... Common sense tells me to go to meet/greets and NOOB RIDES(where one would expect to find noobs), meet others who are interested in the same pace/ride as I, and eventually ride with them instead of strangers.

Although I quoted brandontx, this is generally for most of y'all. I feel like I'm catching a lot of undue grief here. Almost every seasoned rider has told me or another noob to go to a track day, as it is a great learning experience. I found out about the parade laps and obviously wanted to go, as I'd be able to get a feel for track while being able to ride my own pace, and not have to worry about hindering others.

My mistake was NOT going on a ride that was specifically labeled noob friendly. My mistake was NOT choosing to keep up with the group, when it felt comfortable for me. My mistake WAS coming into a turn too wide, hitting the grass, and lowsiding, which hundreds of thousands of other cyclists, noob or not, have done.

I made a mistake, fell down, got the bruises to prove it. Case closed!

That being said, you're all my best friends in the whole wide world (), lol, and I hope to see y'all on the road.
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:39 AM   #104
WWFII

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
K8 Hayabusa (STOLEN)

Amen!
WWFII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:13 AM   #105
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

One last bit of advice.. can't tell from the pic, but if you don't have a set of knee pads under those jeans, spend the $15 for them.

Scapes and bruises heal up, busted knee caps are forever.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #106
sharkbait
i am delicious

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR

Last edited by sharkbait; 11-07-2011 at 01:15 AM. Reason: double pooooost
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #107
sharkbait
i am delicious

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabundo View Post
As I passed you while you were sliding around on the track I looked at your face.........PURE TERROR!!!!!
yeah i remember a couple of us were all talking about that facial expression afterwards

and just a clarification, it really was a slow paced ride. i was near the front and bevo didn't break around 10 over the entire ride except the last straights before the track. there was a sweeper, we didn't leave anyone behind. my only issue is, i saw some people zoning out or being retarded and slowing down like 100m behind the rider in front of them then speeding up again to catch up. that slinky up everyone behind you especially the guys in the back. i remember one of the guys saying he was doing 110-120 just trying to catch up because people kept speeding up and slowing down, but the bikes in front were keeping the same steady speed for like 10+ mile stretches.
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #108
ciao_strada

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
CBR600F4i '04

I hope this helps...

yoda

"Brandontx gives good advice. Have said it better I could not. Trying to be an he is not. Only trying to help your , is he. Predicament, you have; you have no friends to ride with and want not to ride with strangers. Yet ride with strangers to make friends, you must. But fallacy, that is! At meets, you have not to ride. And yet, you meet strangers. Herh herh herh."
ciao_strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 AM   #109
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
WOW

sounds to me like you need to take a step back and realize people die everyday from their decisions

1st bike
no experience
" to the wall" group ride
crash

all within 3 days.

just cuz you have a lil 250 doesn't mean it can't kill you.
It wasn't to the wall as I never went over 65mph on Crabb.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:27 AM   #110
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I don't know if you have noticed yet, but you can't see diddly squat with those factory mirrors, they're there to pass inspections and aesthetics. They don't extend far enough out so you can see behind you or next to you.
I test rode "shark's" bike for him after the crash and compared to CBRs those mirrors are huge and offer plenty of rear visibility.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #111
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
One last bit of advice.. can't tell from the pic, but if you don't have a set of knee pads under those jeans, spend the $15 for them.

Scapes and bruises heal up, busted knee caps are forever.
This.

You are doing things mostly right shark, keep it up! Take it easy on the straights until you are a bit more comfortable on the bike, finding out you aren't comfortable swerving or panic-braking at your bike's limit just isn't a good idea. I had my first spill coming back from Motorcycles Unlimited, a block from my apartment on a slow turn. Don't sweat it, at least the "you never have to crash" brigade hasn't shown up yet.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #112
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Honestly, I have been riding for a year and not sure I wouldn't have gone down on GSS. I wanted to make this ride for that reason but I had family engagements that I could not miss. As far as I am concerned everyone goes down eventually, whether it was an extenuating circumstance or because you pushed too hard.... either way the important thing is you learn from it.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #113
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #114
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
MY SPILL TODAY HAD ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH RIDING IN A GROUP.
Quote:
...............................I pushed myself and my motorcycle to the limit, in order to keep up with the group......................................I "crashed" doing less than 25 miles per hour, due to me admittedly trying to hard to conform to the way others around me were riding...............................

ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #115
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
I blame Bevo.
I blame ducati owners.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #116
BobViolence
Go Duc yourself.

Bike(s):
2013 BMW R1200RT
2012 Ducati 848evo
2001 Suzuki SV650 (wife's)
Sold: Victory Kingpin, TL1000S, Daytona 1200,
Katana 600, GS500E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I blame ducati owners.
So do I.
BobViolence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #117
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

The guy openly admitted he made a mistake and took full responsibility for it. Picking apart his words and continuously bashing him for it will do no good whatsoever. Just getting a rider to admit he even made a mistake is usually a monumental task. He learned his first lesson the hard way and hopefully it will help him move forward with his riding in a positive manner.

Good luck, SS. Rukus is a coworker of mine that I talked into trying out the parade laps. He crashed one lap in when he did exactly what he was instructed not to. Why? Because he is functionally retarded. We love him for it.

Now he's attending trackdays under instruction and making tons of improvement to his mental and physical riding skill set. Sometimes it's just a rough start.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #118
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Do you still feel the same smart shark?

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...highlight=love
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #119
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
The guy openly admitted he made a mistake and took full responsibility for it. Picking apart his words and continuously bashing him for it will do no good whatsoever. Just getting a rider to admit he even made a mistake is usually a monumental task. He learned his first lesson "the hard way" and hopefully it will help him move forward with his riding in a positive manner.
Good luck, SS. Rukus is a coworker of mine that I talked into trying out the parade laps. He crashed one lap in when he did exactly what he was instructed not to. Why? Because he is functionally retarded. We love him for it.
Now he's attending trackdays under instruction and making tons of improvement to his mental and physical riding skill set. Sometimes it's just a rough start.
I'm NOT trying to bash the OP..
but IMO the lack of controlling the speed for a parade lap is putting inexperienced riders in jeopardy...

the OP is just another consequence of that, similar to the many RIP threads I see coming from group rides.

I too think the safest place to learn IS at the track!! with instruction...
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #120
Trish

Bike(s):
2008 CBR600rr
2006 DRZ400SM

Honestly, as others have already stated, the ride was definitely noob friendly. Bevo asked if there were any noobs and SS raised his hand... as did I... but apparently with 3500 miles, 500 of those at the twisted sisters, I've graduated from being a fresh n00b.

Bevo then went over a TON of stuff to help SS out... hand signals, group riding basics, etc and then shared that we would be going about 10 over the speed limit. And that's what we did.

Annoyingly, there were a few people doing the whole inconsistent speed ... if I passed you during the ride, that is why.... it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

Smart Shark, I'm not not here to give you ... in fact, if you want to go on a ride, let me know. When I was a noob, I had a ton of people to help me out and it's my turn to return the favor.
Trish is offline   Reply With Quote