MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #21
Hi-Side

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

Send a message via AIM to Hi-Side
When I started racing, I had a 12 year old and 1 year old. I didn't become someone other than the same guy I was before. I fell off 20 times, got run over at Daytona, tore my ACL, both rotator cuffs, broken wrists, arms, knee cap, ankle, damaged my back, several concussions, more than $150k of expenses over the 10 years I raced competitively from the amateur ranks to my one pro level race, and I can tell you I don't regret one second. I left the sport for 5 years and it felt like a part of me was gone. It is part of who I am and its very hard to turn it off... my father told me he admired me that my kids got to see me really living my life. I think thats the point...
Hi-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
the caliber of CMRA racers at AMA Daytona.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 38 03-09-2009 03:23 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #22
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Talent, luck, and $$. GL!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
its worth it to the right people...

Im like you, I have a family that I want to spend time with and they need me too. I cant afford to go racing. Trackdays are my limit.

I will say this, the two races I raced, even at the amateur level.....top 5 times of my life. Turn one is always a HUGE rush.
you see.. thats just it!
worth it to the right people has a lot to do with.. and I thinking having the right job to afford all those tires...
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 PM   #24
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Side View Post
Lets go one step at at time... Its one thing to ride a bike fast on the street, its another thing to ride a bike fast on the track, its something else completely to race as an amateur, another quantum leap to be a a fast amateur racer, a parabolic step change to move to mid-pack expert, beyond your wildest imagination to run as a fast expert, and you wouldn't forking believe it to just qualify for a national in expense and level of riding... and that just gets you to "qualifying" for a national... and that puts you right at the very back of the pack, racing for last place, getting on tv when the leaders lap you... and that is unbelievably fast. At $2500 to run a national to race for next to last place blows, and then to have a 17 year old, that has more experience than you after racing for 10 years, and by the way doesnt have a mortgage, or kids, or a job to go to on Monday morning, pass you with both tires sliding sideways lets you know exactly where you stand. There is always someone faster, and you dont have to be Rossi to figure that out. Just giving you a bit of perspective from an "old guy".
REAL talk

I remember reading another thread like this a while back and someone posted that it's not worth it. I asked him why he said that he decided to get into boats drop motorcycle racing altogether. Basically, he spends a LOT less money on what is still considered an 'expensive' hobby and enjoys it with his family...no broken bones, no waking up early and spending all day prepping, etc.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #25
Hi-Side

Bike(s):
09 YZ 450
07 TTR 230
05 TTR 125
03 TTR 125

Send a message via AIM to Hi-Side
LOL oh you misunderstand... I didnt say it wasn't worth it...
Hi-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #26
ormand
Deelish!

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Quote:
Neither did the other guy (although he was a little bitter about it lol). It's something to consider though...nobody wants regrets, financial or otherwise.

Here's the link:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...=141167&page=2

The member I am talking about is YOU DA MAN haha
Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #27
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:

I don't think the decision to go racing is a math related, crunch the numbers, "does this make sense for my checkbook?" kind of thing. Yes, you need money to race. But if you have the need to race you will find a way to do it, somehow. Because you have to race and nothing else will do.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #28
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
this is actually something I've been thinking for a long time.... Is it worth it?
whats worth it about it??

what about you spend the whole season and spend all that time for what? for fun? or to actually for something.. and become someone in life??

I'm the must unexperinece with CMRA stuff and yes! at one point would like to try it.. but for what? what does it take to actually be someone? lots of cash? time?

I'm a father of 2 kids and for me I put them 1st.. I can't spend a week or two with out working or my bills go to so spending all that time to try to archive something about racing is just not worth it? what about if I get hurt? now what?

I just wanna see the part about racing that makes it so worth it? I'm once again the must unexperence rider and have no clue about any of this but if someone in here that is an expert can share a little of their life to where they started racing and now have become someone in life. please shine the light on me.. tell me that it wasn't a total lost, it was all worth it but took lots of work and lots of cash.

I mean no disrespect to anyone just trying to understand the point.
Thanks!
Racing is not for everyone. You have priorities (kids), they go first. Some people don't, like me, and want to go racing.

Right now, im single, im making money and going to school part-time. Racing is right up my alley

Besides I see racing as a hobby, no different from track days. You put in what you want. You can be dead last if you want and still consider yourself a racer. Not a very good one, but still a racer
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:50 AM   #29
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
Everything you need to know is here for the CMRA, including Nancy's phone number. Several track day orgs offer CMRA licensing, too, and they are listed on this link. Some are sponsors on MH, of course.

http://cmraracing.com/involvement.html

For AMA, go here:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/racing/getstarted

Simple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivancuriel View Post
Is that all that is required? Will the CMRA license get you in to qualifying? Or do you need another license? Or is it just being a member in the AMA?

AMA link spells it all out. I just read through it.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #30
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

I just want to race!

If I have to do it on shaged tires and bikes that suck and dont have money in them then that is the way I am going to do it.

I am cheap when it comes to this stuff. I guess all I need is the lic. and a bike that will pass tech and to be able to pay the fees to do it. If all I can do is one race i will still be happy as long as I get to race someone.
I am sure you get the same feel if you are battling for first or second to last.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
If all I can do is one race i will still be happy as long as I get to race someone.
I am sure you get the same feel if you are battling for first or second to last.
couldnt agree more

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #32
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Why don't you register on the message board at www.cmraracing.com? It's open to everyone and you can solicit the opinions of folks that actually race. :
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #33
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Why is racing worth it? Because the rush is unexplainable, not in words anyway. Best way to do it is say go race. At least one time. Your first race weekend can cost a couple hundred bux if ur budget is tight. Then analyze that couple hundred for what you get that weekend. I bet my check (yep all two dollars and fifty cents after paying taxes) that you say it was worth it abd the best bang for ur buck and a memory that will last forever.

I think thats where people get it wrong. You cant compare what you feel is worth it when considering how much time and money someone eles is putting into it. Base it off of what you give and only give what you wont regret. If you do two races a year, those will prolly be the best two weekends of the year.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #34
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
I'd rather spend some money, race and have an experience.. good or bad, but an experience. A story to tell.. something you tried.

This has much more appeal to me than say someone who buys a bike, dumps chit-tons of money into shiny chrome bits, upgrades and fancy paint only to trailer it around for show.

But that's just me.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-11-2011, 07:34 AM   #35
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEAN OF LEAN View Post
.I think thats where people get it wrong. You cant compare what you feel is worth it when considering how much time and money someone eles is putting into it. Base it off of what you give and only give what you wont regret. If you do two races a year, those will prolly be the best two weekends of the year.
well said, Dean.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #36
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

In regards to MotoGP, if you weren't already winning every race, every weekend when you were 10-years-old then one could say the odds are astronomically against you ever getting there. Good luck with the local org.s though.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #37
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Doing MSRH on 11-19. Finally. It will be my first track day working twards my CMRA. I have to start somewhere. I've been riding since 89, better late than never.
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #38
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
In regards to MotoGP, if you weren't already winning every race, every weekend when you were 10-years-old then one could say the odds are astronomically against you ever getting there. Good luck with the local org.s though.

True, but probably, mostly because people haven't tried after hearing things like this.

It's good to keep things in perspective, but never let anyone prevent you from chasing your dreams. No matter how the odds are stacked against you.

Troy Baylis started very late and made it to the top. Let's focus on that.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 11-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #39
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEAN OF LEAN View Post
Why is racing worth it? Because the rush is unexplainable, not in words anyway. Best way to do it is say go race. At least one time. Your first race weekend can cost a couple hundred bux if ur budget is tight. Then analyze that couple hundred for what you get that weekend. I bet my check (yep all two dollars and fifty cents after paying taxes) that you say it was worth it abd the best bang for ur buck and a memory that will last forever.

I think thats where people get it wrong. You cant compare what you feel is worth it when considering how much time and money someone eles is putting into it. Base it off of what you give and only give what you wont regret. If you do two races a year, those will prolly be the best two weekends of the year.
THANK YOU FOR THIS.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #40
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC View Post
True, but probably, mostly because people haven't tried after hearing things like this.

It's good to keep things in perspective, but never let anyone prevent you from chasing your dreams. No matter how the odds are stacked against you.

Troy Baylis started very late and made it to the top. Let's focus on that.
Troy started as a youngster and then didn't resume until he was 26. And that's one of a rare exception. The reason most older guys don't compete in MotoGP is probably not because they get discouraged by others' words but most likely because they just plain don't have the talent - maybe not that they don't have it but they didn't begin to cultivate it when they were 5 years old.

Look at the current MotoGP grid and you'll see that EVERY SINGLE ONE started racing in some sort before they were 12.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement