MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #21
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Another thing to think about and it was mentioned to some degree already. Learn to tune into the bike by hearing and feeling what it is telling you about the track. Understanding there are reference points and lines to get around the track is great but, if you put your bike on that line and hit a few bumps near the apex (Cresson) you are not going to be a happy camper. Also for me personally I like listening to the bike... it creates a sort of rhythm when things start flowing right. As that rhythm gets consistant you start running consistant lap times and then you can start to make more adjustments in your routine to gain ground on the time.
Good point. I started to get a feel for the bike and what it was doing underneath me before I started to recognize the reference points for braking and cornering but once I started to put it all together the day at the track got a lot more enjoyable.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Critique my cornering Salty General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 03-18-2014 10:18 AM
The Cornering Bible acjei General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-18-2012 07:09 AM
Cornering Question ThomasNinja650 General Discussion (Moto Related) 54 02-02-2010 06:39 PM
think you have cornering skills? chasee69 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 03-29-2006 04:25 PM
best cornering techniques? hfa3g11 Taking it to the Track 7 09-27-2005 11:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #22
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

great post radar!...

and romeo... i've seen PLENTY of fast guys like you out there with the same "just go!" philosophy - so meh pretty much +1 to what gabe said...
SBK Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:20 AM   #23
TWISTED METAL
Banned

Bike(s):
CBR 1000 AND GSXR 750 TRACK BIKE

User is banned

TWISTED METAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #24
Radar

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED METAL

hey doug i'm already feelin the need....it sux no more td's till next year....
i tried to go out riding the other day and couldn't help but feel bored....
Well, there is always the hill country, it'll at least rub the itch, not a full blown scratch.
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #25
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Lets see...

There's my brake point, my turn in, hello apex, how do I get out of here... okay where am I headed to now?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #26
gixxerbill
Banned

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

User is banned

gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #27
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerbill
Boy wait till you see the new Bond it will give that ananology a whole new meaning.

Old 11-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #28
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Last edited by ysr612; 11-21-2006 at 12:22 PM.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #29
andrave

all I know is when I watch the racers on TV or if you look at the photos their heads are always up and craned as far as possible to see the end of the corner.
thats how I have been driving my car for years, thats how they teach you to drive at any performance driving school that I've heard of, and thats how the books on track riding that I've read say to drive (and the books on street riding too).
If you are always looking ahead then you won't miss out on any of the stuff, in fact you will notice it sooner and have more time to prepare. If you are looking right in front of your bike and THEN look real far ahead then you might miss it, but if youre ALWAYS looking far ahead then you won't miss it. And the further you look ahead the more time you have to react and position yourself for whatever you see.
andrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #30
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrave
all I know is when I watch the racers on TV or if you look at the photos their heads are always up and craned as far as possible to see the end of the corner.
thats how I have been driving my car for years, thats how they teach you to drive at any performance driving school that I've heard of, and thats how the books on track riding that I've read say to drive (and the books on street riding too).
If you are always looking ahead then you won't miss out on any of the stuff, in fact you will notice it sooner and have more time to prepare. If you are looking right in front of your bike and THEN look real far ahead then you might miss it, but if youre ALWAYS looking far ahead then you won't miss it. And the further you look ahead the more time you have to react and position yourself for whatever you see.
So where exactly do you look in a blind up hill left hander @ 120mph then? (gixxerbill may have some input on this one)

Old 11-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #31
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
So where exactly do you look in a blind up hill left hander @ 120mph then? (gixxerbill may have some input on this one)
They asked the same question in "Speed on Two Wheels" and in an interview with Roger Hayden he said you look for a reference point. He drove Road Atlanta in a truck and explained how he picks the reference points he will use later for the race.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 PM   #32
ysr612

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

Quote:
I was talking to a fast AMA racer that was from the CMRA. We were talking about a corner at Hallet they had a cone out to use as a ref. He used the alignment of a couple of trees then counted to three. So in the race about the third lap he purposely clipped the cone.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

My question was hypothetical. In T7 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I use the bumps at the top of the hill as my reference point for the exit. Because, If I am trying to look through the turn as described I would be getting a big view of the sky.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:43 PM   #34
Faylaricia
The Comtesse

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'02 Honda VFR800

Quote:
My question was hypothetical. In T7 at TWS (Texas World Speedway) I use the bumps at the top of the hill as my reference point for the exit. Because, If I am trying to look through the turn as described I would be getting a big view of the sky.
My biggest problem was turn 1. The turn was so long that I kept going into it way too slow only to end up too far on the inside with a terrible line setting me only up for ugliness in turn 2, where I finally spotted some port-a-potties for the cornerworker of turn 3. :laughing6

I didn't get a good reference point until the afternoon when I picked the light poles way in the distance of turn 1 that I looked at when I came down into the turn. It increased my speed in turn 1 by a full 20 mph. I was so proud. :laughing6
Old 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #35
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faylaricia
My biggest problem was turn 1. The turn was so long that I kept going into it way too slow only to end up too far on the inside with a terrible line setting me only up for ugliness in turn 2, where I finally spotted some port-a-potties for the cornerworker of turn 3. :laughing6

I didn't get a good reference point until the afternoon when I picked the light poles way in the distance of turn 1 that I looked at when I came down into the turn. It increased my speed in turn 1 by a full 20 mph. I was so proud. :laughing6
T1 is a straight line coming off the wall. Head for the end of the Yellow line and when you get a visual on it look for the T2 apex. TWS (Texas World Speedway) is a bad track for off track reference points in my opinion.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:51 PM   #36
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Or talk with Patrick and Brandon while hanging out. Everytime I come in I have a question. :icon_bigg

Old 11-21-2006, 03:15 PM   #37
gixxerbill
Banned

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

User is banned

gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #38
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I look at a point just over the "vanishing point" on the track right before I come over the hill.
Based on where I'm at on the track as I come over the hill, I know where my turn in point is.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement