MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Arrow REVIEW: New Dunlop KR449 American N-TEC Slick

Today I was given the opportunity to run the brand new American made N-TEC KR449 Slick from Dunlop at MSRH. Most of you know or have heard about the UK built Dunlop N-TECS, their grip and longevity. Some of us have disregarded the hefty price tag and paid the $299 + tax for the rear and $199 + tax for the front because we felt the grip, feel and life was priceless. On the other hand, some folks have had a tough time paying that kind of money for tires and have opted for other brands or the GPA from Dunlop.

Prior to today, my personal best lap time at MSRH was a 1:36.92, set on the D211GP UK made DOT from Dunlop, in Feb of 2011. Today, on lap 3 of 9, I turned a 1:35.84 on the new American Made Slick, clobbering my personal best by over a second, on a track day. I'm not suggesting that the improvement was soley because of the tire, but it is obviously a capable tire and I'm sure the right person could go even faster on it.

I made no suspension or geometry adjustments. I just installed the tire, set the cold pressure at 17psi and off the warmer at 22psi. I used the first lap to put a little heat in the tire, the 2nd lap I used to see if I could get it to spin (it did not) and the 3rd lap I had enough confidence to see what I could do. The tire felt solid no real noticeable flexing.

At what I believe will be $50 less for the rear (plus the tax) than the UK made slick, I think that Dunlop may have found a solution to the higher priced UK slick that some folks won't pony up for.

I can not speak on the life of this tire yet, however, I would not hesitate to sprint on this tire.

If you have any questions about this tire, just post them in this thread and I will answer them as best I can.

You can contact Allan Campbell at Whoopie Cycles (The Dunlop Distributor) and see about trying a set for yourself.

-Brandt

Last edited by cdill35; 10-29-2011 at 07:24 PM.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michelin Power Slick Review Yorke Taking it to the Track 1 11-13-2013 07:53 AM
Dunlop Q3 Review Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-29-2013 09:09 AM
AMA Superbikes now on American Dunlop Slicks! Whoop Taking it to the Track 2 07-18-2012 03:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

cool deal.

congrats on the new best
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

I can add some insight to back up Brandts statement because the team who won the overall endurance for WERA this year (BEI) was basically the developmental team for the us slick. They had some very fast riders-Billy Ethridge, Tim Beimersdorfer, Mark Junge, Brian Stokes and Lee Acree.

Congrats on the new personal best buddy!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

The compound is 5436 which is a new compound for American Dunlop. It's a Medium plus, between medium and hard somewhere. This compound was developed this year in the AMA with testing and feedback from the Pro racers which run the American tires in the Daytona Sportbike series.
This New compound is now available for the fronts.
I also tested on the new American tires this weekend also.
My first test on the KR449.
I waited for the track to warm up on Saturday and I didn't go out on track until the 1:00 session. Feeling a little under the weather the past few days I didnt want to wast any energy on a slick track.
I did 5 laps my first session. Yes I had planned on a straight 25 minutes but I had no energy. I was surprised at how solid and planted the New KR449 was. 4th lap was a 1:38.8. I had hoped only for a 1:40-41 in the first session. Unfortunately I had no energy and blew my wad in only one session. I saw Brandt out there smoking on the track and decided it was a perfect time to test the tire.
I"ll do more testing myself and with others to test the longevity of the KR449s. Thus far the KR449 has exceeded my expectations.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

I would have to add, from personal experience, that the new American made N-TEC KR449 Slick may also be the best tire to power wheelie past me entering the pit straight.

Thanks for the great write-up and congrats on the new PR at MSRH.

I was running Dunlop D211 GPAs (the 2011 AMA Spec tires for Daytona Sportbike), which allowed me to lower my own best time around MSRH. Thank you soft compound rear!

(Full disclosure, I was faster than my prior best, but still a rolling chicane for a fast expert like Brandt - hence his beautiful power wheelie pass. )
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

Great write ups. Thanks for the feedback. Been thinking of going with these next myself.

Need Body Work, Shorai batteries, Protection for your bike and body, Tire Warmers, Rearsets etc..? Come see us! We sale the top brands at the lowest prices around from Attack, Armour Bodies, Optimal Racing, Woodcraft, Forcefield, Chicken Hawk, Suzuka, Teknic, Sato Racing, Driven Racing, Arai, XT Racing and more!
www.Track-Junkie.com **Also swing by our trailer at all Fastline Motorcycle Events**
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Found two links with some nice facts about the new slick and the new gp-a front setting track record

http://dunlopracing.com/dunlop’s-new...-championship/

http://dunlopracing.com/2-track-reco...5436-compound/