MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Clutch/Tranny problem? HELP! I'm lost...

Hey guys, Iím lilí desperate for some help from some guys who have a little more knowledge about bikes than I do. I have recently replaced my chain and sprockets as well as my clutch plates (both fiber & steel) and Iím still having problems. About 2 or 3 months ago I realized my clutch was slipping when I got on the throttle really hard, especially when dropping one or two gears through a turn and then accelarating out of the corner. Well, I was in Motorcycles Unlimited for a suspension set-up and the guy was like you need a new chain and sprocket desperately. So, I ordered the kit and headed home. Well, I picked up my kit the following week and installed the new chain and sprocket myself. I had some difficulties getting the nut off the front sprocket. I initially tried putting the bike in gear and when I tried breaking the nut loose I just turned the motor over and could hear compression building. Well, I called Motorcycles Unlimited for some advice and Patrick advised me to put the bike down and have someone hold the rear brake (with the chain still in tact) while I break it loose (and that there was a locking hun (washer looking deal) that I needed to unfold. Well, I did all that and put it all back together. (There were no left over parts so were all good). Well, I go to take for a test drive and bam, the thing wonít move. I can feel the bike ďclickĒ into first gear the bike momentarily shifts forward just like it normally does, but when I release the clutch nothing happens. I tried all 6 gears and nothing. So, my next thought was those clutch plates are slipping pretty bad, maybe they went out completely coincidentally. Well, I replaced all the steels and fiber clutch plates and Iím having the problem still. Just for and grins I looked to make sure the ďpush rodĒ was in place and it was. There were 6 springs that I pulled and some sort of a plate to get to the clutch plates. I tightened those springs all the way down (they were all the way compressed when I pulled it apart), is that right? When tightening the front sprocket I did the same concept to tighten as I did to loosen? Did I overtighten this as well? When I put the bike on the rear stand I can put the bike in gear and I see the rear tire rotate just a little bit. When I rev the motor up to about 5 or 6K I see the rear tire budge a little bit, but then it stops. I was thinking I damaged something when loosening that front sprocket, but if you think about the concept of push starting a bike I didnít put any more stress on the motor or tranny than would there. I have a í94 Kawasaki Ninja Zx-7 and it has a hydraulic clutch. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the advice and sorry for the long read. Oh, I also bled and put new fluid in the clutch about 3 weeks ago. The fluid was low so Iím assuming thatís what caused the clutch plates to burn up so quickly. Thanks again.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tranny or clutch? CUZ How To's and Q & A's 3 09-29-2012 05:15 PM
Clutch problem please help!!!!! louisiana954 How To's and Q & A's 13 11-05-2010 03:56 PM
Clutch problem? zerobounds General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 10-18-2010 06:07 PM
Dirtbike tranny problem Prodigy Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 10 10-25-2007 02:56 PM
tranny problem 79porsche General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 04-12-2007 07:07 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
stlal
Superman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
Hmmm.. Is the clutch engaging? Maybe it needs to be adjusted. Dont take my word though
Old 11-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #3
JonEric0430
the slow and the retarded

Feedback Rating: (3)

Send a message via AIM to JonEric0430
Sell it and get the GSXR-750 you were looking at at the bike show.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
jkcole900rr

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
95 cbr900rr 97 cbr900rr (parts) 03 honda xr50

Send a message via Yahoo to jkcole900rr
hmmm did u get both front and rear sprockets??? if so not sure but maybe the front has a key or something and maybe u didnt put it back in like i said not sure but sounds like something is missing think back my .02 if i think of anything else let u know
jkcole900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
stunterdude

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
04 zx10,03 gsxr600,2001 f4i, 03 gsxr 1000, 2006 yzf250,2004crf150,2006 crf 450r,2001 929,06 klx 110

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to stunterdude
ok, when you replaced your clutchs did you let them soak in oil overnight?if you dont do that the clutchs could glaze over and slip
stunterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcole900rr
hmmm did u get both front and rear sprockets??? if so not sure but maybe the front has a key or something and maybe u didnt put it back in like i said not sure but sounds like something is missing think back my .02 if i think of anything else let u know
I did replace both front and rear sprockets and no parts that came out didn't make it back in. The front sprocket slips over the shaft which has several grooves and it appeared to have evrything in place. My next step I think is to loosen the chain remove the front sprocket, start the bike, put it in gear and see if I can stop the rotation of that shaft (if it's rotating at all) with a piece of wood or something. I ain't gonna use my hand as those grooves would probably tear my hand up if it is working correctly.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #7
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunterdude
ok, when you replaced your clutchs did you let them soak in oil overnight?if you dont do that the clutchs could glaze over and slip
I soaked the fiber plates in fresh 10w-40 for 20 minutes (that's what the shop recommended). Do I need to soak the steel plates. I would think that wouldn't do a thing. Maybe the fibers need more time in the oil?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

OK, I was just thinking...maybe that's my problem HAHA. When I flushed and bled my clutch is it possible that I got air in the line and I now need to do a "power bleed" (I think that's what they call it)? I tried to keep the resevoir filled as I pumped the clutch and broke the bleeder, but there was one time when it went all the way down. I continued to bleed the clutch though until only fluid came out of the bleeder tube. Patrick...Track guys...Anyone got suggestions?
Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

someone please help
Old 11-15-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

, I'm on a motorcycle board and only a 3 or so people have any comments to add to this thread. Pathetic I tall ya.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuckzx7
, I'm on a motorcycle board and only a 3 or so people have any comments to add to this thread. Pathetic I tall ya.

I usually find help on gixxer.com for my bike. Im sure there is a board like that for yours too. Try that. Did you try bleeding it again?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:39 PM   #12
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...es-sportbikes/

http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/

Last edited by stlal; 11-15-2006 at 06:43 PM.
stlal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:40 PM   #13
stlal
Superman

Bike(s):

what kinda oil you using..when was the last oil change?
Old 11-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #14
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

It's really hard to diagnose stuff like this without bein hands on. So, you put it in gear and let out the cutch and nuthin happens... does the rear wheel spin freely, by hand, in or out of gear when it's on a stand?
It's possible that the clutch is REALLY out of adjustment. Try reading the manual or look on the internet to find a clutch adjustment procedure, if that doesn't work you may have to take it to a shop.
Keep us posted.
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:21 AM   #15
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
I posted your question in a nother site. If any suggestions pop up I will pass them on. Danny boy.
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

I hit up that kawiforums.com and I think I found what my problem is. I did not realize the outermost fiber plate has to be rototated "one slot" out of alignment than the rest of the plates. I also learned that that the hub cover needs to be torqued down (I think 6-7 ft/lbs) and I probably overtightened it. The hub cover also fits in place only one way, however, it can be installed in all 5 positions where the springs line up. The only problem is that in four out of the five positions, there is a 1/8" gap between the hub cover and the outermost fiber plate. Here's the link if anyone is interested. If anyone has the specs for how tight those springs need to be, please let me know.
Thanks,
DBuck
Old 11-16-2006, 08:48 AM   #17
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

oops. here's the link...and I think this is pretty much standard for all bikes. This particular one was for a '01 ZX-9.
http://www.kawiforums.com/forum/topi...TOPIC_ID=22881
Old 11-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #18
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Your problems and the timeline of repairs confuses me. Remove the clutch cover. Put the bike in gear. Turn the rear wheel by hand. The transmission should turn over freely with the wheel, including 1/2 of the clutch assembly. If it doesn't, something is amiss in the chain / sprocket dept. If the transmission shaft turns over, but the engine doesn't (aka clutch slip), you either have A: pressure in the clutch line or B: a mechanical fault in your reassembly of the clutch. To solve A: break a banjo bolt on the clutch line so it can bleed down. If this doesn't change things, solve B: Take the plates out and look at their order. MOst importantly, look at the order and fitting of the small parts that actuate the clutch...bearing fit, shaft fit.....call me at 281-772-1211 if you need help.
Mr.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman
Your problems and the timeline of repairs confuses me. Remove the clutch cover. Put the bike in gear. Turn the rear wheel by hand. The transmission should turn over freely with the wheel, including 1/2 of the clutch assembly. If it doesn't, something is amiss in the chain / sprocket dept. If the transmission shaft turns over, but the engine doesn't (aka clutch slip), you either have A: pressure in the clutch line or B: a mechanical fault in your reassembly of the clutch. To solve A: break a banjo bolt on the clutch line so it can bleed down. If this doesn't change things, solve B: Take the plates out and look at their order. MOst importantly, look at the order and fitting of the small parts that actuate the clutch...bearing fit, shaft fit.....call me at 281-772-1211 if you need help.
I'll hit you up around 12 or so on my lunch break. Thanks, and I think my situation is option B. I think I reassembled the last fiber plate wrong and my clutch springs are overtightened.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 PM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Did the bike roll freely before you installed the countershaft sprocket?
If so, check to make sure you installed it properly and that it's not binding the output shaft. Try taking the countershaft nut loose and see if the wheel turns freely.

Second item to check; when you had the rear wheel off changing the sprocket, did you lose the spacer that goes between the hub and the wheel?
If so, you could be binding the rear wheel.
Loosen the rear axle and see if the wheel assy. turns freely.
If so, take the wheel off and make sure the spacer is inside of the hub and that the bearing are o.k.
If you have any more problems feel free to give me a call.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement