MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #121
ArtistMarty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Last edited by ArtistMarty; 10-25-2011 at 02:26 PM.
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So now that you're (somewhat) fast. Do you need a faster bike to be faster????? floyd600 Taking it to the Track 11 04-28-2012 10:21 AM
always somebody faster RACER X Off Topic 15 01-16-2011 04:19 PM
i'm faster then you ANTISOCIAL Off Topic 0 12-23-2007 02:17 AM
Faster,Faster funny quote jrock Off Topic 0 03-20-2006 01:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #122
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post
I dont care to qualify myself or my statements, just offering my perspective, take it as you may
those who know me, do, and those who do not, dont.
Im happy with that

Quote:
one thing I have noticed though, is "some" track day only riders carry a certain arrogance about them, whereas those involved with the CMRA have a wonderful sense of camaraderie.
So I guess you're one of them trackday only riders then, huh?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #123
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
So I guess you're one of them trackday only riders then, huh?
as usual........ you know nothing.........
Old 10-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #124
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
as usual........ you know nothing.........

I know that you're arrogant. That's certainly something.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #125
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzo View Post
I understand that we wreck, I am pointing out that it does not always make us better. The OP asked does it take crashing to get better, maybe if your a stunter, practice and learning make you better not crashing.
Everyone has their perspective. I'm not saying you're wrong. Just that my experience is different. I took umbrage with your choice of examples was my main reason for responding.

Quote:
That's like saying knocking up a woman or catching an STD makes you better at having . We all take chances, take precautions, and wear protection but it happens. And if your sleeping with a shitload of random women the odds of that increase, but it's the numerous times and random women that make you better in the sack, not because of the STD or pregnancies.

Note: I never caught an STD but I do have 5 kids
Yeah...maybe you're just horrible at analogies.

Quote:
I dont care to qualify myself or my statements, just offering my perspective, take it as you may
Im happy with that
As is your personal choice. Seemed helpful to others, but that's cool.

Quote:
one thing I have noticed though, is "some" track day only riders carry a certain arrogance about them, whereas those involved with the CMRA have a wonderful sense of camaraderie...
I guess it depends on the orgs you visit. The only ones I've ridden with are Fastline (formerly GU) and LSTD so they are all I can speak for in terms of personal experience. In both cases I found every rider I interacted with to be friendly, helpful, and real. Not much in the way of attitude and all about learning whatever they can to be better riders. I've also seen people come together to take care of a downed riders equipment when that rider wasn't able to do so himself. Strangers in every sense other than being at the same track together doing right by each other. In fact it's part of what solidified my transition from street to track riding. Perhaps that arrogance is projected?

Cept that Po-po guy. He's a jerk.

Last edited by kibitzer; 10-25-2011 at 02:42 PM.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #126
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

[QUOTE=ArtistMarty;3059698]I dont care to qualify myself or my statements, just offering my perspective, take it as you may
Im happy with that

ArtistMarty....while to some degree I understand what you are saying here... I also think that Kibitzers' request that you list your experience, or background is a good thing too...
knowing where someone is coming from helps other folks understand their opinion and why they hold it...
and folks at different experience levels may feel differently about certain things and both be right, because it affects them differently at their level... so understand why a newbie feels one way about a particular thing and an expert feels differently about it, makes since... makes neither wrong or right, but it explains why each one feels the way they feel...
like my perference for one trackday group over another... while others feel differently than I do...and if our roles were reversed, our opinions would be too...so if you are a novice you might want to go to the group I prefer and if you are an expert, you might like the other...
in this case, I feel you should capitulate and give your experience... otherwise it might deminish the value of what you say to some...and that would be a shame....the real losers here would be the folks who might gain something from what you say, but because of your defensiveness, write it off...
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #127
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by 956 View Post
This is a great place for the fast guys to get faster. If you ready for a "race school" like Ty's, also think about Whoopie's Race School (check out Whoopie's thread in the Sponsor section). They will be out at MSRH this Saturday. Small grids, lots of track time.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202319
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #128
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
That's like saying knocking up a woman or catching an STD makes you better at having . We all take chances, take precautions, and wear protection but it happens. And if your sleeping with a shitload of random women the odds of that increase, but it's the numerous times and random women that make you better in the sack, not because of the STD or pregnancies.
best.analogy.ever
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #129
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
ArtistMarty....while to some degree I understand what you are saying here... I also think that Kibitzers' request that you list your experience, or background is a good thing too...
knowing where someone is coming from helps other folks understand their opinion and why they hold it...
and folks at different experience levels may feel differently about certain things and both be right, because it affects them differently at their level... so understand why a newbie feels one way about a particular thing and an expert feels differently about it, makes since... makes neither wrong or right, but it explains why each one feels the way they feel...
like my perference for one trackday group over another... while others feel differently than I do...and if our roles were reversed, our opinions would be too...so if you are a novice you might want to go to the group I prefer and if you are an expert, you might like the other...
in this case,
I feel you should capitulate and give your experience... otherwise it might deminish the value of what you say to some...and that would be a shame....the real losers here would be the folks who might gain something from what you say, but because of your defensiveness, write it off...
I understand your concern,
but I have not really said anything more than "crashing will NOT make you faster" and that quality instruction is worth utilizing.
pretty simple..besides the basic understanding of tire and suspension.

I think 956 had the best statement when he said...

Quote:
............... I'll tell you guys one thing though... I live by this "stay on de line"
and
Quote:
........................I believe line study needs to be drilled and the foundation of open track day practice.

Last edited by ArtistMarty; 10-25-2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #130
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Man.. I need to get out to some of these schools with all these great instructors. Maybe I can learn to stop crashing so much. I'm obviously missing the boat here.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #131
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Man.. I need to get out to some of these schools with all these great instructors. Maybe I can learn to stop crashing so much. I'm obviously missing the boat here.
you sir are "out of line" !
Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #132
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
you sir are "out of line" !
Maybe 956 can teach me the line.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #133
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
I heard that staying off of a 250 is the first lesson in class.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM   #134
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

subscribed to read later....
Old 10-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #135
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
I heard that staying off of a 250 is the first lesson in class.
truth.

All BS aside.. I think that if you're looking for a sharper learning curve then crashing is probably more likely. In June of 2008 I did my first track day, first race in April of 09 and have tried to get to the front of the expert field quickly. I've crashed quite a bit on the way and every single one of them has taught me something. You dont have to crash to get faster, but I dont think you can get fast, as fast, without it likely happening a time or two or five.

It's all depends on what your goals are as a rider and how much time you have to get there or want to spend trying to get there.

Furthermore, people claiming to have gotten "fast" without crashing, really aren't fast. I know thats probably hard to believe but you gotta trust me on that one. lol

And a lil rant.. I get so sick of these subtle bullshit promotions from these motorcycle school employees, as if they are offering something significantly different than anything one of the other 4 orgs is offering. They only one is Ty, who has the track to himself, and does real drills like cones, threshold braking and trail braking. The rest of the schools it's about grid size, student to instructor ratios, track time and $$$ cuz frankly all the schools have people that have no business teaching someone how to get around the race track on a motorcycle. And they very well might be posting in this thread.

Fact.

Last edited by cdill35; 10-25-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #136
Get Some!

Quote:
Maybe 956 can teach me the line.
You're line sucks
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #137
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

Quote:
truth.
Fact.

BAM!
hammer 1

I cannot wait until 2012!

Last edited by ArtistMarty; 10-25-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #138
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Quote:
I understand that we wreck, I am pointing out that it does not always make us better. The OP asked does it take crashing to get better, maybe if your a stunter, practice and learning make you better not crashing.

Note: I never caught an STD but I do have 5 kids
Quote:
Originally Posted by exalted512 View Post
best.analogy.ever
-Cody
Thanks bro, I think pretty much sums it up.

ArtistMarty, I know your right and half of the individuals reading this thread do too. But, you cant convince everyone, just like I cant convince everyone its ok to pee in the shower.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #139
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
truth.

The rest of the schools it's about grid size, student to instructor ratios, track time and $$$ cuz frankly all the schools have people that have no business teaching someone how to get around the race track on a motorcycle. And they very well might be posting in this thread.

Fact.
plain truth there...considered treason in some circles.. but truth none the less...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 PM   #140
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
All BS aside.. I think that if you're looking for a sharper learning curve then crashing is probably more likely. In June of 2008 I did my first track day, first race in April of 09 and have tried to get to the front of the expert field quickly. I've crashed quite a bit on the way and every single one of them has taught me something. You dont have to crash to get faster, but I dont think you can get fast, as fast, without it likely happening a time or two or five.

It's all depends on what your goals are as a rider and how much time you have to get there or want to spend trying to get there.
This makes a lot of sense to me.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement