MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2006, 11:25 AM   #21
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
bao, come back to houston where its safe. alot of hippies and druggies in austin.
No kidding. I went on my lunch break to wash my Xterra at one of those coin-op spray places and when I ran out of coins and went to get quarters from the change machine, I came back to find some hippie/homeless type washing my car. :BangHead: And of course expecting money for services rendered.

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did David Gregory just violate D.C. gun law by possessing a high-capacity gun clip? Rykoson Off Topic 7 12-30-2012 08:41 AM
who needs a gun, when you have ... aboo007 Off Topic 15 09-15-2009 11:17 AM
Stun gun Shot gun? mr_joe Off Topic 0 07-10-2007 12:00 PM
GOT A GUN joselopez General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 02-22-2006 05:17 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #22
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Uh, take a breather and think this through with a clear head. There are alot of choices that should be made before owning a gun for personal protection. So, if you are over 21 you may want to go take a CHL class and learn about your rights and others rights. You will need to check the policies of your primary residence and school to understand their gun regulations but primarily you need to decide mentally if you are going to be ready to use your weapon on anyone who poses a threat to your life. Otherwise your weapon becomes pointless and possibly is a downfall for your own safety. Lots of choices to be made but you need to make them while you are not under the influence of fustration from current events. Good Luck!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM   #23
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Have you ever fired a gun?
If not, go to a range with a buddy who has one or rent one at the range.

Could you REALLY shoot someone?
Think carefully on that, because if you can't, if you even delay a second or two, you may be shot yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. If you're really serious about it, take some lessons, get your CHL and practice regularly.

A good dailiy carry weapon would be some of the smaller Glock, Sig, or Spingfield .40 caliber semi autos or one of the Kimber .45 Ultra series. (my daily carry)

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM   #24
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Experience: 1-3 months

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
+1 to what patrick said above , very good points

i was going to get this , but i went for 4" size instead .. goto a gun store and hold alot of gun so you can get a feel of what feels better in your hand. i thought i wanted an hk until i held one of those blocks of metal in my hand

this gun feels tiny in my hands

XD9301

http://www.springfield-armory.com/pr...-compact.shtml
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #25
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo3rd
bao, come back to houston where its safe. alot of hippies and druggies in austin.
yea i miss home..

but thx for all the info.. I've already started to look into CHL. I'm checking out some of the guns you guys recommended and a nice set of hollow points.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #26
TooBuku
Dumb Gook

Send a message via AIM to TooBuku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick

Think carefully on that, because if you can't, if you even delay a second or two, you may be shot yourself.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. If you're really serious about it, take some lessons, get your CHL and practice regularly.

A good dailiy carry weapon would be some of the smaller Glock, Sig, or Spingfield .40 caliber semi autos or one of the Kimber .45 Ultra series. (my daily carry)
yea all good stuff to consider. I've fired guns before and i think i'm prepared for the mentality i have to be in to be able to fire a gun at someone without a second thought.

when i arm up i'll be sure to practice regularly.. what are the usually price range for a session at a gun range.. just curious.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #27
Rick H.I.C.
Got Surf? Snow? Track?

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
03' 600RR, 05' CR125, 88'NSR 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceInChains02
stun gun?
No, think he want to get rid of the problem. Not keep them around for more trouble later.:icon_bigg
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM   #28
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

don't forget, it cost about $8000 in atty fee's for every round fired, whether fired in self defense or doing ebil!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM   #29
Drumboy

Bike(s):
1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Check out the Glock 19. I have a 19C (holes on top compensate for recoil) and it's a compact that's very dependable.

PS, if your dad is carrying money home late at night from a business, I think he can legally carry without a CHL.
Drumboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:42 PM   #30
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:

the small glock .40 (glock 27) is a beautiful gun
http://www.glock.com/g27.htm
g26

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #31
Kinny
AONNOG

Bike(s):
None

Send a message via AIM to Kinny
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
Dude, welcome to life. I'm sorry to hear you and your dad were robbed. Crime has always been here its just finally gotten to you. Actually things are better now, the homicide rate in the late 70's early 80's was around 800 per year. Now we're lucky to get 375. A pretty big decrease. You said you got jacked at UT, and everyone is saying to get a CHL, but you need to see what the CHL rules are as they relate to colleges and universities. If you do go the CHL route, don't stop there. Once you get a gun take a good training class and learn how to use it in a defensive situation. Going to the range and firing a few rounds doesn't count as training, it just proves that your gun is functioning.

Practice drawing from concealment, learn how to use cover and/or concealment, learn how to shoot on the move, and just generally know the capabilities of your weapon. Lets say you go for a mousegun like a kel-tec, once you go past ten feet shooting under stress your groups will open up big time. Not to mention smaller calibers will have a harder time piercing clothing and jackets and such. I too own a kel-tec .380 and do understand it's a "get off me" gun. Press it to his chest, fire a few founds, then run like . My preferred carry is a full size glock or 1911 in .45 acp. A not much harder to conceal but if I shoot, I feel more confident that he's going down for the count. I agree with the CHL, but it only allows you too carry your guns on you and there are still restriction on where you can carry. But a CHL class is not a gunfighting school and is not a replacement for proper training.
Quote:

Agree with you two totally.

In your situation I think pepper spray and situational awareness will serve you better. Always stay in condition yellow which means stay alert, but in a relaxed state. If the BG knows you are aware of their presence, they will more than likely pick an easier target.
A CHL and having a gun with you isn't the solution to everything violent crime out there, although it is a good thing to have. However, if you go to UT it is against the law to carry inside any building. The proper mindset like others have mentioned is important. You have to make up your mind what you're going to do if this happens. If you are trying to decide when you're getting robbed, it's already too late.
Best of luck to you and I'm sorry for what happened to you and your Dad.
Kinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #32
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Mind set is huge here and as a student I doubt you want to find yourself dealing with a huge legal situation because that is what it is even when you are in the right.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #33
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

wow that brings back memories... thanks for the post :icon_bigg If you have never shot one of them... you are missing out on a big part of life...
Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM   #34
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
don't forget, it cost about $8000 in atty fee's for every round fired, whether fired in self defense or doing ebil!
, last time it was $7000 in attorney's fees per shot. Damned inflation this month huh?
My attorney works pro bono.
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 06:17 PM   #35
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

how about like a tazer.....cause then you could have fun while subdoing them....like, just keep the volts coming until they going into shock....and then plant some crack on them, pull out the barbs...and leave the scene
Old 11-14-2006, 06:42 PM   #36
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

IMHO tazers a waste of time. If they are alive, they will most certainly sue you. Dead men tell no tales. I would stress thinking hard about the decision to carry a gun. It can change your life in an instant.

My carry gun is a "worked" Colt Officers special 45ACP. I also have a HK USP40 that I am fond of, but it is slightly larger than my officers.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #37
Kinny
AONNOG

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipboy326
how about like a tazer.....cause then you could have fun while subdoing them....like, just keep the volts coming until they going into shock....and then plant some crack on them, pull out the barbs...and leave the scene
Tazer might not be the best idea. 1) You need to be at close proximity with the BG to deploy the weapon. 2) You will want some kind of training to use this device effectively. 3) Schools may not allow you to carry tazers.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #38
Kinny
AONNOG

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm
IMHO tazers a waste of time. If they are alive, they will most certainly sue you. Dead men tell no tales. I would stress thinking hard about the decision to carry a gun. It can change your life in an instant.
This is why you should always be the one calling 911 first. First one to report the incident almost always wins.

Advertisement