MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #41
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Jumping out in front of a car moving at high speed is a very good way to get yourself squashed.
Haven't seen it happen yet.

Quote:
What happens if the driver is not looking out the windshield at the moment you decide to jump in front of him? You get turned into road pizza is what.
Usually I don't have to jump in traffic. I'm targeting vehicles with the LIDAR unit at 900- 1300 feet before i even set foot off the curb. If they keep going, I step back onto the curb and wave goodbye as they blow by me at 60 mph. I did it this morning. They wave usually confuses them and they turn around and come back.

Quote:
Or maybe you get out of the way fast enough, but the person genuinely didnt see you and just keeps going. Now what? You make the choice to chase them down in a full on rage because they didn't respect your authority when all they did was not see some idiot standing in the road?
This is where being a professional comes into play. I've been angry many times on a stop when I had to chase people down that almost ran me over, but they never knew it. I stick to same same script that I use on every other traffic stop. Its pointless to and stomp my feet on a traffic stop. Not every officer can do this although they should.

Last edited by andre3k; 10-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hwy 290 east bound shut jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 06-30-2013 10:18 PM
Moto vs cager Hwy 6 & West rd. ekfraz General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-17-2009 05:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #42
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
Haven't seen it happen yet.

I knew someone that did and she was taken to jail.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #43
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Working traffic is the lowest of low police work, poor bastards
Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #44
My6

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
94 XR650L " "

Nope! Lowest is doing a domestic. When you see that some "sweetheart" (male or female) has taken out their bad day on one of their kids it makes you want to help them FALLDOWN so to speak. Been there, done that. I worked for Uncle Sugar for a while as a so called cop in the 70's. Then came video tape. nuff said...
My6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #45
Doug
Hangover

Bike(s):
FLTRX

Quote:
Usually I don't have to jump in traffic. I'm targeting vehicles with the LIDAR unit at 900- 1300 feet before i even set foot off the curb. If they keep going, I step back onto the curb and wave goodbye as they blow by me at 60 mph. I did it this morning. They wave usually confuses them and they turn around and come back.
Now that's funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My6 View Post
Nope! Lowest is doing a domestic. When you see that some "sweetheart" (male or female) has taken out their bad day on one of their kids
I couldn't do it. Someone would "fall down" several flights of stairs....
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #46
buzzltyr

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675
04 Daytona 600 (sold)
ninja 500 (sold)

and when an officer gets hit cause they jump out in front of a car, they will blame the driver for wreckless driving and most likely charge them w/ vehicular manslaughter. i dont want it to happen either but if you put yourself in that position then you have to accept the fact it could happen and be responsible for it. there has been many incidents about that scenario, not like its new. i have family that work in the force too but he wouldn't put himself in that position, i think its kind of stupid....but hey thats YOUR decision.
buzzltyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #47
rhenriksen

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'07 Bandit 1250
'03 CBR 600 racebike (parting out)
2013 Ducati Streetfighter 848
1984 Honda V65 Sabre (stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
Yeah, I told the last cop that pulled that "Not a very good idea, you can get yourself hurt like that"
And he started a beat down for threatening him, right?
rhenriksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #48
My6

Bike(s):
94 XR650L " "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Now that's funny!

I couldn't do it. Someone would "fall down" several flights of stairs....
Yea, That's one of the reasons I chose another profession. I realized I really didn't have the temperament for that job. Imagine Russell Crow in LA Confidential. That was me when I saw the Bruises. nuff said...
My6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #49
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Of course...I'm not Mexican!

Yup, he hopped out and I was wtf...Oh
of course if you were mexican you would be smarter, but you are from nicaragua,

well we already know

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #50
triumphant675r

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by honorsdaddy View Post
Jumping out in front of a car moving at high speed is a very good way to get yourself squashed.

What happens if the driver is not looking out the windshield at the moment you decide to jump in front of him? You get turned into road pizza is what.

Or maybe you get out of the way fast enough, but the person genuinely didnt see you and just keeps going. Now what? You make the choice to chase them down in a full on rage because they didn't respect your authority when all they did was not see some idiot standing in the road?
You have a point. Usually I've seen them just point at me and direct me towards the shoulder, which is much safer for both of us.

Coming home from work one evening I saw a moto cop that had a car pulled over, and I guess he heard me coming. He stepped in my lane late enough I'd have to really grab some brake, so I just went around him. I'm not going to risk being rear ended just so I can get a ticket.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #51
b42day

Feedback Rating: (3)

I've always wondered, aren't there more pressing issues (pending warrants, busting crack houses, crime investigations, and other CRIMINAL issues) than sitting on the road harrasing mostly decent people on their way to and from work? Just saying...
b42day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #52
triumphant675r

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b42day View Post
I've always wondered, aren't there more pressing issues (pending warrants, busting crack houses, crime investigations, and other CRIMINAL issues) than sitting on the road harrasing mostly decent people on their way to and from work? Just saying...
There are. But I think most of those cases end up costing tax payers and not really making the city/state and money, so they have to have ways of generating income as well.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:14 PM   #53
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphant675r View Post
There are. But I think most of those cases end up costing tax payers and not really making the city/state and money, so they have to have ways of generating income as well.
Generating money for the city is the name of the game.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #54
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

There are always a few checking stickers and seatbelts, at the 59 /lousiana split. During rush hour. I know to stay in the far lane...lol
Old 10-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #55
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b42day View Post

If you are referring to a an officer that works patrol then I would see your point. If you are referring to an officer who's job is to conduct traffic enforcement and work accidents then there really aren't more pressing issues. A good traffic cop can prevent a lot of crime and serves as a pretty good deterrent.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #56
scheinertr9
Get a - job Al

Bike(s):
'09 Interceptor

Quote:
If you are referring to a an officer that works patrol then I would see your point. If you are referring to an officer who's job is to conduct traffic enforcement and work accidents then there really aren't more pressing issues. A good traffic cop can prevent a lot of crime and serves as a pretty good deterrent.
please elaborate on that since im now a hardened criminal for doing 18mph over the speed limit. btw isn't there less accidents happening on the autobahns where there is no speed limit?
Old 10-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #57
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Alls I know, is that there wereno people doing anything stupid or wreckless..

, even at my speed, cars were next to me and I wasn't passing people as if they were walking...

I exited and maintained a speed that flowed with traffic (I know that's not defense) I was basically cruisin...and so were other people...

But, it is what it is... the cops laughed when I told them they were going to make a killing out of these people today...no shame...

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #58
QUICKGIXX
track track track

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
07 gsxr 600(race bike)
2005 ttr90(pit bike)
01 kx65 mini motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheinertr9 View Post
please elaborate on that since im now a hardened criminal for doing 18mph over the speed limit. btw isn't there less accidents happening on the autobahns where there is no speed limit?
You went over the speed limit willingly, and knowingly!!!!! You got caught pay your fines and get over it. We all speed at some point in time you know the risks. Quit your whining, and stop questioning cops on obvious matters. If you cant use your head to think of atleast a few reasons why traffic stops help deter, and possibly stop crime then you need to be educated. Go to your local police station, and ask for a ride-along. You might have a new found respect for those who protect you and your family. Its a job and somebody has to do it. Most people will hate you, and few will like you. Nobody likes paying fines. But seriously you could have avoided it. If you seriously think that in the eyes of the law you are a "hardened crminal" your a drama queen. Not trying to insult, just saying!!!!
QUICKGIXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:20 PM   #59
scheinertr9
Get a - job Al

Bike(s):
'09 Interceptor

so you're saying pulling me over for going 18mph over is equally if not more important then finding a murderer or other criminal? i must have it all backwards cuz i thought traffic cops were pretty useless. i guess those meter maids are stopping a lot of crime. i guess sarcasm isn't in your vocabulary too.

if you believe those cops are writing tickets for anything other than revenue, you sir, are an idiot. just sayin'

Last edited by scheinertr9; 10-22-2011 at 08:23 PM.
scheinertr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #60
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheinertr9 View Post
so you're saying pulling me over for going 18mph over is equally if not more important then finding a murderer or other criminal? i must have it all backwards cuz i thought traffic cops were pretty useless. i guess those meter maids are stopping a lot of crime. i guess sarcasm isn't in your vocabulary too.

metter maids are the new heroes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement