MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Have you had your stock suspension played with yet? If not, I'd start there for next trackday.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have a Spare bike or track bike I can use at a track day?? Adamhijazi1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 09-22-2014 11:04 AM
I need to gain weight 675Raisinator Health and Fitness 32 12-31-2011 01:36 AM
Power gain? megan_gsxrchic General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-16-2011 01:25 AM
How to gain 6 lbs in 4 days? Jason_Canuck Off Topic 28 07-13-2011 03:19 PM
First track day - Anyone ride their bike to the track? velo29 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 14 09-15-2010 07:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #22
plummer
dude

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Yea already done few months ago. Scrc did it.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #23
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by plummer View Post
Kinda how I feel. I thinks is probably best to learn and get faster on the current set up. If experts can still turn awesome laps on a stock bike, there is no reason I can't learn to be fast on a stock bike. It may be more difficult ...but that can only make me a better rider. I see a lot of people at the track putting around on bikes with some nice add-ons but can't figure why spend so much on upgrades if you haven't reached the potential of the stock bike.
Dude.. I have only been to 4 track days and done some routes.... but I pass people all the time on these tricked out bikes... IMO its about the rider not the bike.. My stock r6 and zx6r are very good for a smaller track..

Then again.. I'm probly slow..
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #24
dinosaur
Retired in place

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

here's my theory: you have a 6 speed gear box, if you don't get into 6th down the straight then you aren't geared low enough, i run -1 +7 at GSS, if you can hold on to it things get real interesting real fast and you will go faster even on a stock machine
CMRA #414

Last edited by dinosaur; 10-20-2011 at 08:26 PM.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #25
joeburt1
JoeJoe the dancing monkey

1976 Yamaha chappy
TL 1000S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
here's my theory: you have a 6 speed gear box, if you don't get into 6th down the straight then you aren't geared low enough, i run -1 +7 at GSS, if you can hold on to it things get real interesting real fast and you will go faster even on a stock machine
-1 +7!!!!! man, that might work for the slower riders!!! LOL
joeburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #26
DJOKER04

Bike(s):
00 R1
07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykoson View Post
Dude.. I have only been to 4 track days and done some routes.... but I pass people all the time on these tricked out bikes... IMO its about the rider not the bike.. My stock r6 and zx6r are very good for a smaller track..

Then again.. I'm probly slow..
Hey guys ...new here..but not new to bikes..all i ride is Track..Just moved here from DC in Aug and have done 1 weekend so far..last weekend at TWS (Texas World Speedway)....

Now let me say this...a rider is only good if his bike is good....The rider should never be better than the bike itself.....meaning....I have a 00 R1 with Penske shock and traxion Dynamic springs in the front...since 09 I've been getting faster on every track I've hit more than once....My friend told me even though I have good suspension on there..need to change fork oil (done) change brake pads (done) already have steal braided lines....reason he said is you never want to be better than your bike....if you surpass it you tend to go over your BIKES limit cause you've reached yours..I hope this makes since to you..tired as ....spend a lil loot upgrade your ish..and watch you do better...

K
DJOKER04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #27
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Kinda how I feel. I thinks is probably best to learn and get faster on the current set up. If experts can still turn awesome laps on a stock bike, there is no reason I can't learn to be fast on a stock bike. It may be more difficult ...but that can only make me a better rider. I see a lot of people at the track putting around on bikes with some nice add-ons but can't figure why spend so much on upgrades if you haven't reached the potential of the stock bike.
You actually complete missed my message. A better rider can be better than you on your own hardware, even if its not setup for him at all, because he is smooth. Someone with some pace but without that additional smoothness needs the additional "forgiveness" of the better hardware to not end up on his while he's learning.

In short: johnny racer can push stock hardware further because he's smooth. You trying to do the same things will end up crashing because you're not, and nobody learns anything sitting in the pits with a broken clip-on and shifter.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #28
plummer
dude

Bike(s):
k8 600
k13 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
You actually complete missed my message. A better rider can be better than you on your own hardware, even if its not setup for him at all, because he is smooth. Someone with some pace but without that additional smoothness needs the additional "forgiveness" of the better hardware to not end up on his while he's learning.

In short: johnny racer can push stock hardware further because he's smooth. You trying to do the same things will end up crashing because you're not, and nobody learns anything sitting in the pits with a broken clip-on and shifter.
I understood what you said perfectly. ....but.

If two guys go out on the exact bike and one can run faster than the other, again, why upgrade components ....sounds like the rider needs improvement. I understand its easier to ride a bike with plush suspension.
plummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #29
DJOKER04

Bike(s):
00 R1
07 R1

Quote:

If two guys go out on the exact bike and one can run faster than the other, again, why upgrade components ....sounds like the rider needs improvement. I understand its easier to ride a bike with plush suspension.
2 riders same seat time same bike same set up...what's missing riding style and confidence...that's it...

Confidence in yourself will help 1st...everything else will follow...

Get the bike to good track form, get you a Bike cam....go back and study your self and see where you need to improve....
DJOKER04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #30
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:

What Po-po is speaking about is creating an acceptable margin for error.

There comes a point when the stock bike is not providing enough additional margin for you to make a mistake and easily recover from it. Sure the faster guy can ride your bike closer to that edge, but he runs less risk as his skills provide the extra buffer.

Can you get faster on a stock bike that's close to its limits? Of course.

The real question is, are you comfortable accepting the added risk that comes along with that decision? Your one mental slip can have catastrophic results if the bike is at its limits.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #31
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:

The rider DOES need improvement, but if every mistake he makes in the learning process results in being sent home with a busted bike..............well you don't exactly learn much do you?

What I'm saying is a lot more can be learned from

" I almost crashed, I won't do that next lap"

than

" I crashed, I won't do that next trackday. <fast forward a month> Wait, what was I not going to do?"

and better gear might be the only difference between the two scenarios.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:16 PM   #32
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:

The rider could always use improvement, and so could the bike. But as someone else stated, the bike also has it's limits. A bike should always be setup for the rider to go whatever speed he/she is capable of going.

check out this picture (taken by the sooz), look at the travel in my forks. mind you, i'm not even braking anymore.... i'm pretty much bottomed out mid corner.

30kr0xy

in this picture I am currently on Stock suspension. what do you think would've happened if I hit a bump mid corner whiile bottomed out on the suspension? I also ran 3 seconds per lap slower than when I did have aftermarket suspension on my bike. No matter how hard I rode, how smooth I tried to be, I just couldn't get there. Luckily I didn't, because after seeing that picture, i'm lucky I didn't KILL myself riding that stock suspension as hard as I did. i'm sure Ty Howard (CMRA's #1 plate holder) could ride my stock bike and easily do a few seconds faster than me.... but he's also more experienced going fast. How did he get fast.... on PROPERLY SETUP MACHINES. I guarantee you no top Expert racer can go the same speed on stock suspension vs. aftermarket setup. Once you're accustomed to speed and going faster, you'll also gain that experience to ride on lower hardware, but continuing to improve requires work on your bike as well as you the rider.

Before having my forks redone with aftermarket Traxxion Dynamics AK20 Cartridges, I could not get my R1 to turn and take corners as well as it should. After having them done, I finally got to race them this weekend and it turns very well now. It was a night and day difference. I knew where my time was lost, it was the suspension holding me back. Once I get even faster, i'm sure I could put the stock stuff back on, and go faster than I did before on stock stuff... but that's because i'm already familiar and capable of faster speeds.

It's your bike, your money, your life. If you wanna go fast, make sure your bike is setup to go fast. Study up on suspension, see what each one of those knobs do for you and how they effect your riding. The best money spent to go fast on a racetrack is gonna be SUSPENSION. Hands down. It will allow you to go faster, safer.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #33
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
The best money spent to go fast on a racetrack is gonna be SUSPENSION. Hands down. It will allow you to go faster, safer.
Tony, I'm printing this out and showing it to my wife. If some random angry woman contacts you just repeatedly say "yes, he needs Ohlins."

Thanks.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

thats what i always tell my wife.. its all about safety! those grips make me safer

Advertisement