MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #21
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
You're doing it all wrong and asking the wrong question. It's NOT how to keep the front tire on the ground, but instead how to get BOTH tires off the ground. If you want to shave seconds off of your lap time, you need to get airborne. It's a well known fact that the higher you go, the thinner the air is, thus the less drag on your bike = better lap time. Ask any pilot, they'll tell ya.
Anyways..

I could usually muscle my 750 back down going through there. If it came up too high I would usually just blip the throttle back. On some occasions I would up shift early to 3rd. I was still trying to find my own way through there most of the time. Im not a "fast" guy tho. So take that for what its worth..
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got the front end swapped obed Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 14 08-12-2012 02:30 PM
wheelie week end miguel!! Stunters Lounge 30 12-08-2010 12:29 PM
no front end highway wheelie JRxGRUBZx Stunters Lounge 3 06-17-2010 09:17 PM
Front end shakes...... 100f How To's and Q & A's 13 05-16-2008 11:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

Dean! You can start by getting your fat off the seat. Get your eight further forward.
You cant go full throttle so you dont need to tuck for areodynamics.
At the point my front end stops coming up I go full throttle.
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...wImage=1424418
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

When the cars drive that track, I wonder what THEY call that hill?.... lol
Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #24
yak

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
You do realize that when racing every thousand of a second counts, right?

If you don't believe me search for the season finale of British Superbikes Championship. You'll see that 0.006 seconds were the difference from the champion and second place this year.
That was the result of coming in too hot on the last turn and having to slow down too much and getting way off line. Had nothing to do with tucking behind a windscreen more or aerodynamics of a bike.

Also you do realize that short shifting...rear braking...rolling off the throttle a bit all decrease speed too....so how exactly is it saving time compared to a brief small wheelie that creates a little drag.

I do understand that if the front comes WAY up then you need to get it down and it COULD cost you time...but a 12 inch wheelie isnt that big a difference.

Last edited by yak; 10-19-2011 at 02:36 PM.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #25
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
That was the result of coming in too hot on the last turn and having to slow down too much and getting way off line. Had nothing to do with tucking behind a windscreen more or aerodynamics of a bike.

Also you do realize that short shifting...rear braking...rolling off the throttle a bit all decrease speed too....so how exactly is it saving time compared to a brief small wheelie that creates a little drag.

I do understand that if the front comes WAY up then you need to get it down and it COULD cost you time...but a 12 inch wheelie isnt that big a difference.
When did I talk about tucking behind the windscreen or aerodynamics of the bike? All I am saying is, when you are racing you win races by doing your laps in lesser time than your competition. So yes, every thousand of a second counts.

Now, going back to the topic, Dean asked the fast guys to post here to see what they do. At this point only two posts have relevance to his question: Brandt's and Allan's. The rest of us are just whoring or bumping the thread.

So if you have nothing useful to say about passing wheelie hill, please GTFO
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
do you even remember how to ride?

so is the SV ready for the last round this weekend?
You sonofabitch!!! It's better to forget than to never have known like you.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #27
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36 View Post

Where art thou Romeo? lol Where ya been homie? Long time no C
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #28
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Whoopie View Post
Dean! You can start by getting your fat off the seat. Get your eight further forward.
You cant go full throttle so you dont need to tuck for areodynamics.
At the point my front end stops coming up I go full throttle.
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...wImage=1424418
Dang, Allan... Now that's getting over the tank!
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #29
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

I tend to get my body forward, too. Sometimes, depending on a bike's gearing, it's a natural shift point and the problem is reduced with a slight roll-off as has been mentioned here by others.

Here's a few examples of what others are doing.

Mike Rochester (and he's not a small guy) -

1242419805 xxAcC XL

Bryan West (and he's a small guy) -

1242183833 4rqya XL

Daniel Adams (on an SV650, by the way) -

1242415105 Wuowk XL

Alan Phillips -

1242182134 yCJfg XL

Brad Kelly -

1242181795 JkoF9 XL
Old 10-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
40Arpent
Cajun Proud

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Sears Free Spirit wit da fat slick on da back

So, how many thousandth's of a second do you lose by wheelieing over the hill as compared to short-shifting, rolling off the throttle and/or dragging the brake?
40Arpent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #31
exalted512
Slow^^^

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via AIM to exalted512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40Arpent View Post
So, how many thousandth's of a second do you lose by wheelieing over the hill as compared to short-shifting, rolling off the throttle and/or dragging the brake?
thats what I'm wondering. I cant imagine short shifting would be better than just letting the wheel come up...but I'm not a racer either. I just let off slightly to keep it down.

This is how not to keep it down, courtesy of Brandt
http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...wImage=1425391
-Cody
exalted512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #32
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEAN OF LEAN View Post
Where art thou Romeo? lol Where ya been homie? Long time no C
just working and trying to save. whats been up with you?
Old 10-19-2011, 09:34 PM   #33
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
you win this round
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #34
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
just working and trying to save. whats been up with you?
just trying to get through this season so i can save some money lmao

are you going to be at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:48 PM   #35
yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
When did I talk about tucking behind the windscreen or aerodynamics of the bike? All I am saying is, when you are racing you win races by doing your laps in lesser time than your competition. So yes, every thousand of a second counts.

Now, going back to the topic, Dean asked the fast guys to post here to see what they do. At this point only two posts have relevance to his question: Brandt's and Allan's. The rest of us are just whoring or bumping the thread.

So if you have nothing useful to say about passing wheelie hill, please GTFO
Are you reading the entire thread? The first part of my response in reply to your post...the second part of my response was a general response to the entire thread.

Does the question really need to be asked even? Think about physics...the laws of nature. You COMPLETELY missed the concept I proposed that was based off of observations.

If you (or anyone) thinks that the front tire coming up is going to lose the race for them because of fractions of a second and wind drag (as opposed to the time lost by dragging the rear brake or rolling off the throttle a little...both of which slow you down as much if not more than the tire coming up...and most of the time the tire still comes up)....your understanding of physics is poor.

The fast guys get the weight front...roll off...drag the brake to keep the front from coming up TOO long, TOO high, or TOO far...and its not a part of the track at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that people lose precious seconds and end up costing a race.

Wanna get faster at TWS (Texas World Speedway)...work on T1 and T2. Work on the gravity bowl off the back straight and the section after. Work on carrying more speed and the right line through T5 and T6. And make your climb up the camber of the front straight more gradual instead of charging straight up it.

And dont tell me to gtfo of a public forum where Im posting relevant information. Its rude.
yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #36
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
Are you reading the entire thread? The first part of my response in reply to your post...the second part of my response was a general response to the entire thread.

Does the question really need to be asked even? Think about physics...the laws of nature. You COMPLETELY missed the concept I proposed that was based off of observations.

If you (or anyone) thinks that the front tire coming up is going to lose the race for them because of fractions of a second and wind drag (as opposed to the time lost by dragging the rear brake or rolling off the throttle a little...both of which slow you down as much if not more than the tire coming up...and most of the time the tire still comes up)....your understanding of physics is poor.

The fast guys get the weight front...roll off...drag the brake to keep the front from coming up TOO long, TOO high, or TOO far...and its not a part of the track at TWS (Texas World Speedway) that people lose precious seconds and end up costing a race.

Wanna get faster at TWS (Texas World Speedway)...work on T1 and T2. Work on the gravity bowl off the back straight and the section after. Work on carrying more speed and the right line through T5 and T6. And make your climb up the camber of the front straight more gradual instead of charging straight up it.

And dont tell me to gtfo of a public forum where Im posting relevant information. Its rude.
sorry for any confusion I may have caused. but I meant also from the head shake, tank slapper, etc ( i can name numerous scenerios) that can result from the wheel being in the air and setting back down. I left it general...I also pass alot of people right here and it can be scary doing so on one wheel with everyone fighting for position for turn 4. I was wondering how the experts keep it on the ground, if they do. Rather I lose time from dragging brake, rolling off, short shifting, etc they all seem like better options that having my wheel in the air if I can help it when in a race> at a Trackday its fun to pose but im not posing on sunday

Last edited by THE DEAN OF LEAN; 10-20-2011 at 01:28 PM.
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #37
Pyrogenic
Annuit Coeptis Celeritas

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2001 FZ1

Member Garage

I'm not a pro, but I can't imagine that having the front wheel off the ground for a moment would have much to do with acceleration... and at the speed of that part of the track, aerodynamics is not going to play a big role just because the bike is 5-10 degrees up.

Getting off the seat is probably not great in terms of stability, aerodynamics, or center of gravity - maybe that could slow you down or be dangerous - I imagine that the most stable thing to do would be to roll off a little just before the bump so your front end settles just as it hits the other side where it would stay put...

Pyrogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #38
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEAN OF LEAN View Post
just trying to get through this season so i can save some money lmao

are you going to be at TWS (Texas World Speedway)?
Nope. I'm done for this season.

Advertisement