MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #21
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Joe rocket's basic perforated leather jacket is pretty good, though it is nearly three times the price of the bilt. The seams are strong, fit is comfortable, and it breathes pretty well for leather.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinions on "Bionic" gear for street duty BYRDMAN Gear Talk 19 06-15-2011 04:02 PM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Another "gear thread" summer pants episone.... hotcknstrips General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-05-2010 01:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #22
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by haythamboi600 View Post
i did some research on bilt and found out some of there leather supplies are made at the same factory in Pakistan or Bangladesh as A*.
Quote:
I've done some research and I've found out that 7 factories in Pakistan make about 80% of the motorcycle gear (boots, jackets, gloves) for the majority of companies out there (Alpinestar, Dynastar, Firstgear, SIDI, Teknic, Fieldsheer, etc). There also some factories in India and China but the majority is from Pakistan.

Why did I start researching this? Because I was on Cycle Gear's website and saw a pair of boots (BiLT brand) that looked exactly like a pair that is offered by SHIFT but at over half the price. I had never heard of BiLT so I called the Cycle Gear store in Louisville, KY and talked to them about it. They told me that it was a new "House" brand for them but couldn't tell me anything more about it, so that is when I decided to do some research. (I'm an Intelligence Analyst for the government so I'm pretty good at doing reseach, it also helps to have contacts working over in THAT country that gathers economic intelligence)

Here's what I found out. The boot by BiLT is made in the very same factory as the SHIFT boot, on the same line. SHIFT boot $100, BiLT boot $49.99. Alpinestar made in the same place and similar design $170........ Difference in the Alpinestar and other two is one higher grade of leather is used. Is that really worth $120 more?

I didn't end up buying that boot but I did buy another one from BiLT. Cost, $70 same boot different brand, $260. Oh yeah, they are made in the same factory..........

BiLT also has a weather proof boot that looks identical to my Alpinestars. Cycle Gear price $60. I paid $180 last year on Closeout for them.

This ties into my recent frustration over gear that is identical, branded by different companies. And generally to the large companies (A*, Joe Rocket, Shift, ICON, Technic, Speed and Strength, Scorpion, Cortech, etc.) simply putting their name on stuff that comes out of foreign factories without much differentiation, design, etc. It shows that motorcycle gear is all about marketing, and guess who the chumps are? Us, for paying for the A* or Icon or Joe Rocket labels. In that kind of market, the recent emergence of BiLT and Sedici as the Cyclegear house brands makes a ton of sense. Cyclegear buys the same stuff directly from the same Pakistani factories and rebrands it without going through the middleman, allowing Cyclegear to offer essentially the same products at significant discounts.

From the research I've done on this since I got the last CycleGear flyer, the quality of the BiLT stuff (5 year warranty) is about what you'd expect from the lower end of the A*, Joe Rocket, Shift, Scorpion, Speed and Strength, Vega, etc. lines at about 1/2 the prices. Entry level gear with some features, reasonably well made, but not going to hold up to comparison with the really high quality stuff. Sedici (lifetime warranty) is meant to offer quality to compete with the top of the line from these manufacturers. My take is that this is genius by CycleGear. And, honestly, consumers who continue to buy the big brands are being taken for a ride and giving away their money to pay for nothing more than marketing and branding.

The rational consumer response to the same factories making most of everything, and to the big companies irresponsibly slapping their labels often on the same products (or with styling varations to differentiate their brand) is one of three things:
1) Start buying from responsible, smaller companies that design their own stuff for purpose, run their own factories, and really care about quality. Aerostich, Vanson, Teiz, etc. Check out this thread: Best Small Companies for Gear;
2) Pay the money to get the uber high quality products that have complete product control and aren't likely to have fungible products. Dianese, RevIt, Sidi, Motoport, Aerostich, etc.;
3) Recognize that much of the gear out there is interchangeable and comes out of the same factories and go with the CycleGear brands to save money and cut out the middleman so you don't have to pay their margins and fund the cost of their branding and marketing efforts. Buy BiLT for the inexepensive stuff and Sedici for the quality.
Sedici,Cortech, and Teknic are all the same with just different names and are pumped out of the same factory. Just look at their boots: Sedici Laguna, Cortech Latigo, Teknic Chicane--- Same design with just a different name on them. They are an upgrade in quality and design than Bilt without breaking the brank.

I have tried on their leather suits and pants and quality is ok but the fit is on the larger side. The only thing Bilt I have is their Trackstar boots that are $75.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:12 PM   #23
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Here is some more info for you....

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=197140
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #24
vagabundo

Experience: 8 years

Hey Moc05 I noticed your BiLT boots. Forgot to ask you how you liked them. I was curious because I recently bought some Sidis and didn't even consider the BiLTs. I was looking at some of their gloves at CG, They seemed solid.
vagabundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #25
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):

Since when does coming from the same factory mean it's the same product? Some rope factories can produce like 500 different types of rope ranging from copper & steel to braided multicolor string.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #26
Jefe

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

I don't have experience with BILT, but while visiting CG, I asked about this product, and even the sales rep. pointed me in another direction. He pointed out the the diff. B/w the leathers and the stitching. Maybe they work on commission and was trying to get a bigger sale. Who knows.

I rather buy gear that I can afford and be protected vs. no gear at all.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #27
Scorch
Born to Run

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1990 Suzuki DR250S
1986 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
1975 Suzuki GT380

I have a pair of the Cycle Gear boots, they are very comfortable and well made. Been wearing them over a year, and a lot of time just wearing them off the bike as well.

One significant aspect is the perception. Many people cannot come to grips with low cost products, simply because they perceive they are also low quality. A brand name jacket may be 15% better than a Bilt jacket, but it is also 50% more expensive.

Years ago I worked in a caustic plant--we ran a machine that filled 50 pound bags with caustic soda beads. We produced the Brand Name product, and there were several competitors we filled bags for, with their bags bearing their logos. And there were a couple bargain basement brands, really generic brand X, and we filled them with the exact same product. The difference: some people will pay more just to have the Brand. Why not capitalize on that?
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 AM   #28
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #29
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Cortech jacket...

leftsleeve
Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 AM   #30
MiniG0D
Teknulogicuhly Challunged

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2008 600RR Graffiti Edition

I personally have looked at bilt and even tried it on. It all fit like but the build quality didn't seem too bad. And about CG. It's really hit or miss with them at the Houston stores. Here In Lafayette they take care of their customers. I had a pair of icon gloves that I had bought from them and were out of the year warranty and they still swapped em for me without issue. I specifically asked what happens with the 5 yr warranty if they no longer sell the brand and he said they'd still take care of you and get you in something else. I dunno how accommodating the Houston stores are but I wouldn't hold it against CG as a chain (I say that because the few times I went to CG in Houston I didn't get the same vibe).

But back on topic. Warranty is great for falling apart issues but not with how well it will fair in a crash. And as said earlier my skin is worth more.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:38 AM   #31
5.56Gixxer

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2012 VEGAS 8 BALL
2010 YZF-R1
2007 GSXR750

I tried some of their pants on and they just didnt feel thick enough. Save up and buy the better stuff.
5.56Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #32
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

I got a pair of the boots a month or so ago when they were on sale. If you plan on getting them, get the next size up, I got 13's (wear a boot size 13, my a* supertechs are 12.5) and they fit tight and were uncomfortable. I was just looking for a cheap boot during the summer that would flow more air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #33
honorsdaddy
Professional Donor

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2013 Triumph Trophy SE (sold)
2009 Harley-Davidson Road Glide(sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1300T (sold)
2007 Star V-Star 1100 (sold)

Send a message via Yahoo to honorsdaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
So you have experience with BiLT?
Other than looking at it, realizing the stitching is inconsistent and crappy, the materials are cheap and the fit is less than optimal? No. Why on earth would I buy and rely upon something that looks and feels cheap?

It is better than nothing, and as some others have said, I might have considered it at one time when I first started riding. Now? no.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #34
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

so i was at CG a big back, and there was a destroyed older HJC lid on the back counter, i asked whats up w/ that. clerk "we were tested to see how much it took to break it" " we threw a bilt lid up in the air, and when it came down it shattered. the hjc nothing. we had to rip apart the HJC"

i'll stick to better gear.

nobody ever said motorcycle was a cheap sport.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #35
Joshua42007

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Brand is no guarantee for quality. I've seen a Dainese leather jacket rip wide open and I have some A* gloves, that are much newer than my Scorpions and only worn on the weekends, split at a seem wheareas my Scorpion gloves which I wear almost every weekday have no defects at all.

I bought some Bilt gloves to replace the A*s. So far so good. Bilt has a 5-Year Guarantee on their gloves
^ Agreed. You think that spending in excess of 100$ on a pair of gloves, that they would at least last a good year. Nope
photo 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
This^
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #36
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
^ Agreed. You think that spending in excess of 100$ on a pair of gloves, that they would at least last a good year. Nope

This^
the issue w/ that is, whats 1 yr for 1 maybe 5 yrs riding for another.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #37
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so i was at CG a big back, and there was a destroyed older HJC lid on the back counter, i asked whats up w/ that. clerk "we were tested to see how much it took to break it" " we threw a bilt lid up in the air, and when it came down it shattered. the hjc nothing. we had to rip apart the HJC"

i'll stick to better gear.

the problem is the bilt helmet didnt have a head in it for strucural support.

Some of their stuff doesnt look bad for the cost.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:50 PM   #38
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Bike(s):

Went by CG today and checked out their gloves. lots of little quality issues, leather ends frayed by the machine, perforation holes looked really messy, padded areas were just an extra layer of the stuff the glove is made out of, lots of neoprene flex areas, super cheap looking palms.

The BILT leather suits actually looked better quality than the Sedici ones.

Definitely wasn't impressed. I'd consider them as a cheap/casual street gear something-something if i needed it only for a while but I wouldn't put them into a situation where i expect to rely on them like at the track or as a part of my regular gear closet.

Also the A* GP Pro gloves there also looked and felt like , materials were better but the workmanship was low even on them, looked like knockoffs. Really strange since they were supposed to be great gloves. I have some A* stuff (no gloves) and its much better quality than what i saw at CG... Weird...
Old 10-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #39
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Bike(s):
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold