MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
TxVrod

Feedback Rating: (0)

Andrew Hines does it again!

By Rob Geiger Sr., NHRA.com Senior Editor
11/12/2006

Andrew Hines

Andrew Hines continues to bring glory to the Harley-Davidson brand, winning his and the manufacturer's third straight POWERade Drag Racing Series Pro Stock Motorcycle title Sunday at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona. Hines $50,000 pay day came after Craig Treble defeated Antron Brown, Hines' last remaining challenger, in the second round.

"This one means the most," Hines said. "Every single round of competition was tough. Every round you felt like you had to be at your very best to win the race. It was very hard. The level of performance has never been so close in this class. It was tough, but it makes the championship mean so much more."

The younger brother of three-time champion Matt Hines, who now serves as Andrew's crew chief, Andrew was never far from the points lead this season but he actually held the No. 1 designation after just five of 15 national events heading into the season finale. A first-round loss to teammate GT Tonglet two races ago in Reading, Pa., resulted with him giving up the lead, but a win in Las Vegas two weeks ago put him back on top for good.

It was a struggle at times for the 23-year-old son of legend Byron Hines, but according to the newlywed racer, who postponed his honeymoon to the off-season, the 2006 title is the most satisfying by comparison.

"The first one was hard because we started real strong and won three of the first six races," Hines said. "Then the NHRA added 40 pounds to us and we didn't win another race. Fortunately, we had earned enough points early in the year that it carried us. It was stressful.

"Last year we ran strong and consistent all year. I knew I had a bike that could make up for some of the mistakes I might make during the run. It was like a safety net. That was totally gone this year. This one I really feel like I had to earn it from start to finish."

Hines has certainly matured as a rider in 2006.

"Something I strive for as a rider is to not only be No. 1, but to be perfect on the bike," Hines said. "I don't want to make a great pass; I want to make a pass that absolutely turns everyone's heads. That might result in the rulemakers coming down hard on us some times but I can't help myself because it's in my nature to think like that. It's the way I'm wired. There is always, always room for improvement."

He points to the guidance of team co-owner and former champion rider Terry Vance as the main reason for his maturity.

"With Terry's help, I think I'm finally figuring out what it takes to win," Hines said. "I'm not just letting out the clutch, relying on the bike, and looking for win lights any more. I've taken more ownership of what's going on each pass. There's been more emphasis on the riders this year and I've learned how to deal with it.

"If I stay within myself and make a pass the way I know how to make it, nothing else matters. It really came to me in Las Vegas that the person in the other lane or the situation in the points, none of that matters. The only thing that matters is what you do. The wins will come. I didn't know that when I first started riding. I'm in such a better place now."
TxVrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coach Hines ThomasNinja650 Off Topic 4 09-13-2009 01:40 AM
Andrew Trevitt Update maxgs Taking it to the Track 4 03-24-2009 11:23 AM
Sport Rider Journalist Andrew Trevitt Update Txagharrison General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 12-27-2008 04:10 AM
andrew jackson on history channel. Chris24 The Circus 2 05-27-2008 08:12 AM
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxVrod
By Rob Geiger Sr., NHRA.com Senior Editor
11/12/2006

Andrew Hines

Andrew Hines continues to bring glory to the Harley-Davidson brand, winning his and the manufacturer's third straight POWERade Drag Racing Series Pro Stock Motorcycle title Sunday at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona. Hines $50,000 pay day came after Craig Treble defeated Antron Brown, Hines' last remaining challenger, in the second round.

"This one means the most," Hines said. "Every single round of competition was tough. Every round you felt like you had to be at your very best to win the race. It was very hard. The level of performance has never been so close in this class. It was tough, but it makes the championship mean so much more."

The younger brother of three-time champion Matt Hines, who now serves as Andrew's crew chief, Andrew was never far from the points lead this season but he actually held the No. 1 designation after just five of 15 national events heading into the season finale. A first-round loss to teammate GT Tonglet two races ago in Reading, Pa., resulted with him giving up the lead, but a win in Las Vegas two weeks ago put him back on top for good.

It was a struggle at times for the 23-year-old son of legend Byron Hines, but according to the newlywed racer, who postponed his honeymoon to the off-season, the 2006 title is the most satisfying by comparison.

"The first one was hard because we started real strong and won three of the first six races," Hines said. "Then the NHRA added 40 pounds to us and we didn't win another race. Fortunately, we had earned enough points early in the year that it carried us. It was stressful.

"Last year we ran strong and consistent all year. I knew I had a bike that could make up for some of the mistakes I might make during the run. It was like a safety net. That was totally gone this year. This one I really feel like I had to earn it from start to finish."

Hines has certainly matured as a rider in 2006.

"Something I strive for as a rider is to not only be No. 1, but to be perfect on the bike," Hines said. "I don't want to make a great pass; I want to make a pass that absolutely turns everyone's heads. That might result in the rulemakers coming down hard on us some times but I can't help myself because it's in my nature to think like that. It's the way I'm wired. There is always, always room for improvement."

He points to the guidance of team co-owner and former champion rider Terry Vance as the main reason for his maturity.

"With Terry's help, I think I'm finally figuring out what it takes to win," Hines said. "I'm not just letting out the clutch, relying on the bike, and looking for win lights any more. I've taken more ownership of what's going on each pass. There's been more emphasis on the riders this year and I've learned how to deal with it.

"If I stay within myself and make a pass the way I know how to make it, nothing else matters. It really came to me in Las Vegas that the person in the other lane or the situation in the points, none of that matters. The only thing that matters is what you do. The wins will come. I didn't know that when I first started riding. I'm in such a better place now."
awesome

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
How much of a displacement advantage do they get?
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement