MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #41
ysr612

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Transalp, DRZ, Hurricane

as was said before many people slow down on the street after doing a season of racing. For me it seems that there is no point in going fast on the street. Why people fall while racing. I take a lot of pictures at the track so I watch riders in corners. If you have a yellow shirt the chances are greater that you will throw the bike down. The mistake I most often see is front brake carried too deep.

I have gone down 4 times and the reasons
1. rear shock bracket broke:confused1
2. Clipped by fellow racer
3. Clutch slip caused highside:eh:
4. I don't know (this one caused me to quit racing):BangHead:
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
Tony Terrell Benefit Track Day, June 8th via Lone Star Track Days jeffLSTD Taking it to the Track 2 05-10-2007 11:47 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2006, 03:15 PM   #42
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Send a message via AIM to OutlawDCustoMs
i laff @ this post
Old 11-25-2006, 05:55 PM   #43
Max
rm -rf /

Bike(s):
Diamondback on twanks

Send a message via AIM to Max
go pick your self up a set of race fairings
if/when you eat , you wont trash that expensive oem bling!
Old 11-25-2006, 06:08 PM   #44
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

yeah i think i wrecked like 9 or 10 times in 5 trackdays

but one day i didnt wreck at all i was so sexcited about it

then the next trackday i lowsided at ~90mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:09 PM   #45
fuknrobert
the necessary villain

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
'04 R6, '05 70, '04 fiddy!

1102469787 l

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentgixxer
im not a midget , i was actually born with a type of dwarfism, but i took medication for 12 yrs to reach just 5'6"
fuknrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #46
lorin70

Experience: 10+ years

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612
The mistake I most often see is front brake carried too deep.
I'd agree with that. My first couple of track days I would carry the braking too deep and it made it difficult to get through the corner smoothly. I quickly found out to get all the braking done before you ever tip it in. As many racers would tell you, 'slow in, fast out' is the key (I'm only passing that tip on because I'm by no means a racer!). Moderate the 'fast out' with a 3 count when applying the throttle, especially on a 1K machine. It's far easier to add a little speed in a turn than it is to scrub it off when you go in with too much. A little throttle through the turn will also help settle the chassis.

Most of the people who are new to the track that I have seen go down often did it by panicking when they thought they were entering a turn too fast and they grabbed a handful of brake only to lose the front. I've seen it happen at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in T4, T5, T7 and it took people down, and in T3 I've seen people go off-roading. What do those turns all have in common? A straight leading up to them. Chances are that unless you are going way too fast your are probably going to make the turn, but if you grab a bunch of brake then the tire gets overloaded from both cornering and braking forces and loses grip and down you go.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #47
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapp
this is all good advice, thanks.

whats a goood way to practice body positioning, just read how you "sit" and then go sit on the bike and try to memorize that position?
Buy me some Stella's and we can talk about this all night.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:43 PM   #48
scrapp
I need earplugs.

Send a message via AIM to scrapp
As for the people who are giving me sitting pointers, I got that ALL cleared up on a ride with solracer this weekend. He showed me exactally what I was doing wrong (only leaning to the side, not forward as well) and it completly changed my riding style. I dont have that "why is the bike fighting me" feeling anymore.

Last edited by scrapp; 11-28-2006 at 11:21 AM.
scrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:04 PM   #49
Mr. Unassailable
1-20-2013-Change we need

Feedback Rating: (6)

Member Garage

[QUOTE=scrapp]Why, because you are too much of a billy badass, to be humble and ask for help? If you are laughing at my question, then go lowside into a telophone pole, you dickcheese, because I see nothing wrong with what im asking.

+1
Old 11-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #50
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Quote:
Why, because you are too much of a billy badass, to be humble and ask for help? If you are laughing at my question, then go lowside into a telophone pole, you dickcheese, because I see nothing wrong with what im asking.

As for the people who are giving me sitting pointers, I got that ALL cleared up on a ride with solracer this weekend. He showed me exactally what I was doing wrong (only leaning to the side, not forward as well) and it completly changed my riding style. I dont have that "why is the bike fighting me" feeling anymore.
billy badass? lol i've asked for plenty of help when i was racing kthnx.. don't assume you dont know me. so you're a "rider" hoping another rider goes down? you're awesome guy, hope i never see your noob on the track! the title of this thread is halarious... cause NOOBS usually don't go down, it's the guys that think they have big or the racers that push it.

BTW SORRY HENRY and CHRIS HE BROUGHT THE DRAMA
Old 11-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #51
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Quote:
Im not trying to be rude, but explain this misunderstanding. Im asking for track help so I know what to look out for so I dont eat . If your laughing at me for that sole reason, then sure, find the nearest open manhole cover, and go do a wheelie over it.

If, IM the one with the misunderstanding, then im fully sorry for my outburst, I dont feel bad about what ive said, Im just sorry, because I made a mistake....but at the moment thats not how im reading these posts....
a little bit of both... shoulda laffed @ the title not the post, i didn't even read the post, but either way.. don't wish for another rider to go down, it's just bad for yourself....
Old 11-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #52
OutlawDCustoMs
Mr Professional

02' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
04' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' Yamaha YZF-R6 (sold)
05' CMRA #328 (sold)

Quote:
I had a quarrel with a rider one time...I wished he would go down. A few weeks or so later I watched as he came into a parking lot, tried to do a power wheelie with ill consiquenses, and promptly hit a curb, shattering his wrist.

Ive learned to use my power for good.
lol that's messed, except for the fact if you came to the track... and i did take you seriously, i could make you eat horrible at the track lol

Last edited by OutlawDCustoMs; 11-27-2006 at 07:56 PM.
OutlawDCustoMs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM   #53
Jaygermeister
Get out of my way Jimmy

Bike(s):
2008 GSX-R 1340 Hayabusa CBR1100XX Superblackbird & CBR600F4 track bike

Strengthen your quads by doing squats or knee bends to get up some endurance you will need them for all the transitions you will be doing on the seat off the seat and hanging off the bike. Also do start doing some good stretching to limber up the groin area that way you will have an easier time opening up your hip into the turns. There's nothing worse than having fun on the track and fatigue starts to set in and the body doesn't transition fast enough so you will have to quit or slow down an neither one of those is any fun.

My low side happened when my fairing drug the ground @ 80mph and lifted the front wheel. I need to hang way way off my bike to get it to do what I wanted.......... never missed a session and lesson learned.

I hate rules
how often to n00bs go down at the track?
Track days are like going to Las Vegas If you canít afford to lose it donít go!!!!!
Jaygermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:02 PM   #54
MadseasoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70
I'd agree with that. My first couple of track days I would carry the braking too deep and it made it difficult to get through the corner smoothly. I quickly found out to get all the braking done before you ever tip it in. As many racers would tell you, 'slow in, fast out' is the key (I'm only passing that tip on because I'm by no means a racer!). Moderate the 'fast out' with a 3 count when applying the throttle, especially on a 1K machine. It's far easier to add a little speed in a turn than it is to scrub it off when you go in with too much. A little throttle through the turn will also help settle the chassis.

Most of the people who are new to the track that I have seen go down often did it by panicking when they thought they were entering a turn too fast and they grabbed a handful of brake only to lose the front. I've seen it happen at TWS (Texas World Speedway) in T4, T5, T7 and it took people down, and in T3 I've seen people go off-roading. What do those turns all have in common? A straight leading up to them. Chances are that unless you are going way too fast your are probably going to make the turn, but if you grab a bunch of brake then the tire gets overloaded from both cornering and braking forces and loses grip and down you go.
++1
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #55
gixxerbill

Bike(s):
K5 GSXR 1000
2008 Goldwing 1832 cc
Bourget Low Blow Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuknrobert
yeah i think i wrecked like 9 or 10 times in 5 trackdays

but one day i didnt wreck at all i was so sexcited about it

then the next trackday i lowsided at ~90mph
Dang, and people were giving me a hard time. How much did that cost you in bike repairs?
gixxerbill is offline   Reply With Quote