Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #21
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Pearland
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 12,270


Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900






Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutguy View Post
At first it is until you get used to it. After that it is a matter of playing around with tire pressure to get the feel you are looking for. Friend has a car tire on his Rocket III, once the sidewalls loosen up you can't tell the difference. Looks weird in the corners from behind -you can definitely see the edge of the tire making contact with the road.
You go from a HUGE contact patch, while going straight, to a very small one as soon as you start to turn.
Now I aint a rocket scientist, but wouldn't the other way around be better?

I've heard if you make your tires out of metal they'll last like, 200,000 miles!
__________________
Asphalt is for racing... dirt is for growing potatoes. - J. Diester
When seconds count... the police are only minutes away.
Grow up and be a productive member of society already.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Times are hard, WTF anatram Off Topic 52 06-06-2011 03:41 PM
Hard Financial Times? DvlRacer The Circus 30 10-05-2010 12:57 AM
people w/ kids or in hard times.....food Homebrew Off Topic 32 02-08-2009 10:47 AM
Hard times call for a 150,000,000 party bluewave18 Off Topic 18 01-19-2009 07:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,636

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
You go from a HUGE contact patch, while going straight, to a very small one as soon as you start to turn.
Now I aint a rocket scientist, but wouldn't the other way around be better?

I've heard if you make your tires out of metal they'll last like, 200,000 miles!
Why don't you talk to some of the folx that have done it?
It's not like they're being put on an ex250.

Figure 130 for a tire that'll get 10k miles, vs $130 for one that'll get 50k... 76 miles per dollar vs 384, why the not. Particularly if one isn't carving canyons or serious curves.

Bike tire doesn't get much more than a postage size contact patch, straight line you might be getter more benefit out of that car tire than a bike tire than just longevity.
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #23
+Travis+
Our past stops right now
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In a van, down by the river!!!
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 580

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'95 Speed Triple
'05 ZX-6R








Never done it, but have ridden with square cruiser tires (>30,000 miles)... it wasn't so bad, but the bike definitely wanted to stay upright. Turning was more effort. Never had any issue in rain due to different contact patch. But definitely wouldn't ever run them again, so I can't imagine how a car tire would be.
__________________
I’m out of step, 20 eyes in my head. I was a teenage werewolf; braces on my fangs. I’m a crawlin’ kingsnake; hang me on the edge before I fall away.
+Travis+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
Gigolo Jason
 
Gigolo Jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Magnolia, Texas (AKA: in the woods)
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,318

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
BMW R1200C






I have never personally done this. This will alter the handling characteristics of the bike, but for your average cruiser owner, it won't alter it enough to matter.

Car tires are not designed for motorcycles, however they are used. I was behind a Honda Valkyrie on my way home last week who was running a car tire in the rear.

GJ
__________________
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member."
-Groucho Marx
Gigolo Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
morvegil
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston&Minneapolis
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,397


Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter






User is banned

.
morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 PM   #26
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying
 
NewRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston/Heights
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 18,132

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)









Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
is he a black guy with a silver helmet on a silver busa? if so, i saw him earlier this week on highway 6 near westheimer going north on my way home from work. i was surprised to see how flat his rear tire was (no )
Prob same guy...except the dude from pp1 is hispanic, but is dark enough to look black lol

He sometimes has an equally as plump girl with him on the back...I feel so bad for that Busa, but I guess that's what they're for.
__________________
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/mhnewrider/IvanHalffast_zpsb8fb524d.png

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
...Bike tire doesn't get much more than a postage size contact patch...

this Isn't even CLOSE to being true.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,636

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Ok bryan, give us the EXACT dimensions of the contact patch on a PROPERLY inflated M/C tire on a flat/solid surface...
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:37 PM   #29
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,636

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Hate posting from phone... But, while your at it explain how its innacurate in the context of the post it is found in.
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #30
andre3k
I see dead people...
 
andre3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 2,798












HPD solo officer uses one on his goldwing. I don't know the exact tire size but I remember him saying that it fits a mini cooper. Worked good enough to pass his recertification test.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #31
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Ok bryan, give us the EXACT dimensions of the contact patch on a PROPERLY inflated M/C tire on a flat/solid surface...
here ya go, you may need some reading glasses.

http://sportbike.natkd.com/tires.htm
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,636

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
here ya go, you may need some reading glasses.

http://sportbike.natkd.com/tires.htm
Read it, the answer to the question(?) are not provided...try again. :-)
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #33
omer
SMR
 
omer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: THE S.W.A.T
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,379

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R



Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
dude from pp1 is hispanic that Busa
His name is Carlos and i sold him that pearl white busa lol he told me he was going to put a car tire in the back
omer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #34
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Read it, the answer to the question(?) are not provided...try again. :-)
as i quoted earlier. the contact patch of a motorcycle tire is NOT the size of postage..very simple.

why would there be bikes with 190 rear tires if the contact patch is always assumed to be so small?

if you've ever watched "twist of the wrist" they have a neat blurb WITH numbers, on contact patch.
__________________

Last edited by BRYAN; 10-15-2011 at 06:01 PM.
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #35
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,636

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
as i quoted earlier. the contact patch of a motorcycle tire is NOT the size of postage..very simple.

why would there be bikes with 190 rear tires if the contact patch is always assumed to be so small?

if you've ever watched "twist of the wrist" they have a neat blurb WITH numbers, on contact patch.
You quoted jackshyte for facts/information...and have continued to fail in providing the actual #'s requested. You have then failed an addressing the small contact patch in comparison to that of a car tire in a straightline situation. In short, focusing on the single sentence outside the conext of the paragraph/post.

The very article you provide does make a reference to tire size in relation to contact patch, but again does not provide #'s and does not fully address the topic of this thread. If the video has numbers, great...get off your and post em.
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #36
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







you said this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Bike tire doesn't get much more than a postage size contact patch,
then i said this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
this Isn't even CLOSE to being true.

I would think a man of your experience would at least have enough common sense to

1) realize that your postage stamp statement is wrong and that bike tires have varying sizes/contact patches that exceed postage stamp size

2) see, that i was making NO other argument about tires (car or bike)
I could give half a about car tires or thier sizes compared to a bikes.

you made an argument..that bike tires have a postage sized contact patch. this argument is wrong. simple.

you are saying that I'M wrong. does that mean that my CRF-50 has the same contact patch as my ZX10? should i just save money and put a skinny motorcycle tire on my ZX? surely, there is a reason why there is such a wide tire back there. I understand that you are trying to make a car/bike tire comparison argument, but maybe YOU should start with some numbers and figures.

however, if you want a "I won the internetz trophy", then i'll be happy to dust of one of my old ones and send it to you.

assuming the postage is wide enough...
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #37
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,636

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
you said this....

then i said this

I would think a man of your experience would at least have enough common sense to

1) realize that your postage stamp statement is wrong and that bike tires have varying sizes/contact patches that exceed postage stamp size

2) see, that i was making NO other argument about tires (car or bike)
I could give half a about car tires or thier sizes compared to a bikes.

you made an argument..that bike tires have a postage sized contact patch. this argument is wrong. simple.

you are saying that I'M wrong. does that mean that my CRF-50 has the same contact patch as my ZX10? should i just save money and put a skinny motorcycle tire on my ZX? surely, there is a reason why there is such a wide tire back there. I understand that you are trying to make a car/bike tire comparison argument, but maybe YOU should start with some numbers and figures.

however, if you want a "I won the internetz trophy", then i'll be happy to dust of one of my old ones and send it to you.

assuming the postage is wide enough...
I am not/have not said that you are wrong, I asked to provide data that shows what the actual contact size is. Something you keep dodging.
Beyond that, the gist of what I've stated to you is that you either you can't read for shyte or you're a idiot. There is evidence of this in your own replies...Take your pick.
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #38
FJRmgm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Omaha, Arkansas USA Motorcycling Paradise
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,995

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R







Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
So a $130 car tire is cheaper than a $130 bike tire. I wonder if it's cheaper than a $50 take off.
A $130 car tire that lasts 40k miles instead of 5-10k is a damned site cheaper.

That is on an FJR and there are several of them with car tires out there - I know one of them. He says initially the handling feels a little different but once you get used to it - not problem.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #39
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
I am not/have not said that you are wrong, I asked to provide data that shows what the actual contact size is. Something you keep dodging.
Beyond that, the gist of what I've stated to you is that you either you can't read for shyte or you're a idiot. There is evidence of this in your own replies...Take your pick.
Meh. Don't even care anymore. You win the Internet. Trophy is in the mail. Be safe on your car tires.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:09 PM   #40
scoutguy
pack leeder
 
scoutguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: west houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,391

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV






Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
You go from a HUGE contact patch, while going straight, to a very small one as soon as you start to turn.
Now I aint a rocket scientist, but wouldn't the other way around be better?

I've heard if you make your tires out of metal they'll last like, 200,000 miles!
When your rolling on a 860# bike running a wide section tire to begin with it really isn't that much of a stretch.
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy