MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Question Developing Bad Habits....

I really need to get back to a trackday....

I noticed while we were riding lastnight, on my right hand turn (which is usually my easiest side) I wasn't really in a good body position and my knee really wasn't doing what it should. Instead of putting it out I was fighting it and tucking it in... It really made me think, the turn wasn't a complicated one and I really wasn't going at a high speed (maybe this is why). But I started thinking if maybe I'm starting to develop bad habits again with my riding position and corner entering.

I also started thinking about how long on my backroads rides I've been tucking my knees fighting to put it out a bit. I can think of a few times where I fought my knees and position a bit.

I haven't gone back to the track in quite a while (speeding tickets to pay from being pulled over in car) and now I have a new bike that I'm getting used to. So I know I need to get back out there (working on getting cornerworking)...

So I was wondering, for some of you guys that have done track before (but are just not as constant as other people), do you notice yourself start to loose a bit of what you learned?

Now that I'm aware of this I'm going to work on fixing it (I know the street wont provide a full opportunity to do so), I know the track will def get me back to getting it right.

For those that have ridden behind me on a ride, do you have opinions on my BP, how did it look? (I know you are focused on your turn, but I also know that you can see the guy in front of you too) Did you notice anything? I know I notice when someone is fighting their position and try to give them a bit of constructive feedback.

It was just weird noticing that I was starting to go back to getting into bad riding habits and wondered if I was alone...

That's all, discuss...

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
weird quirks or habits tonyt915 Off Topic 38 07-24-2010 08:21 AM
Any Weird Habits While Riding??? IslandKilo General Discussion (Moto Related) 116 01-30-2008 10:20 AM
Bad habits passed down 90 5.0 General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 11-19-2007 10:29 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I wouldn't worry too much about your "trackday" BP on the street. Tony (houseofpain) wrote a really good thread a few weeks ago about the expectations of BP...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=201460

For me, there's 2 styles of riding: "street" and "track". When I want to ride "street", I ride in street gear on the street. When I want to ride "track", I wear leathers on the street. This way, I keep current with both body styles and am not at a loss on the first few sessions of a trackday, or a have to ride street a few times to "remember" how to ride. This was more of an issue when I first started riding but not so much these days. If you want keep current with what you learned on the track and practice (safely) on the streets, go ride with that attitude in mind.

If you're taking a turn on the street, there's no need to put your knee out unless its a more comfortable thing, ie: balance (for some, it is - for me, it is). I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad habit. A bad habit is something thats unsuitable for both street and track riding, like bad foot position.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #3
Vegas Kid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Saw the title and was thinking about smoking and drinking.....

I found myself not being as agressive with BP on the street because we just don't have those hard core turns like the track.

I thought you looked fine yesterday. I don't think you'll develop a bad habit, just adapting for your conditions.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
NewRider

Bike(s):

Bad foot position....man, that one is hard for people to break..

That def isn't an issue.

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 10-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
Bad foot position....man, that one is hard for people to break..

That def isn't an issue.
I had terrible foot position for 1/2 a year since I started track riding. I would let my foot rest on the peg at the heel and when turning, I'd leave my foot in the same place and my toesliders would drag when leaned. I used to blame this on my bike - lower foot pegs + rubber - but in reality, it was all me. I learned proper foot position at trackdays but practicing it on the street was terrible...my foot and legs would cramp and feel uncomfortable in proper position. Also, my feet would slide off the rubber pegs because I was weighting them too much.

BAD FOOT POSITION...see my boot dragging? TWS (Texas World Speedway)...1st trackday

Developing Bad Habits....

Since then, I now put my foot at the ball on the pegs and turn my foot in/up when leaning. It took 1/2 a year and about 3-4 trackdays to break that habit.

BETTER... TWS (Texas World Speedway), 5th trackday

Developing Bad Habits....

Last edited by ormand; 10-13-2011 at 02:05 PM.
ormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
NewRider

Bike(s):

Yeah, ormand I hear ya on the cramping feet and legs with proper position..

When you're going through turns, you don't feel it....mannnnnn...but once you hit thatlong straight roadon the way back home...fml

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
Saw the title and was thinking about smoking and drinking.....
I was thinking Cocaine and Strippers.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
ormand
Deelish!

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r

Quote:
Yeah, ormand I hear ya on the cramping feet and legs with proper position..

When you're going through turns, you don't feel it....mannnnnn...but once you hit thatlong straight roadon the way back home...fml
I start cramping when I get OFF the bike...isn't that weird? Sometimes, the only solution is to take off the leathers completely and walk around or stretch.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #9
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
I was thinking Cocaine and Strippers.
That would be the next step for me

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Back when I was still riding the street I noticed that unless I was going at ludicrous speeds (for the sreet) proper track body position made the biketurn in way too much for turns. So yea, it really is a different ballgame.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
obed
TMGP Pimp

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I have only done 3 track days, a total newbie there, but already I have noticed that at speeds you take street corners, if you are hanging off the bike with your knee out the bike will want to turn in too much...so it is much more of a straight up body position for me on the street...
and as far as foot position, I too was dragging my foot and took off one of my toe sliders, so it is now up on the ball of the foot with my heel turned into the bike and my toes out in the same direction as my knee, that is still higher up than when i had the peg in the middle of my foot or under my heel...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #12
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Do a Navasota run on Saturday and I'll ride behind ya with the GoPro running so you can see for yourself.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
Do a Navasota run on Saturday and I'll ride behind ya with the GoPro running so you can see for yourself.
Oh man I wish...I work...but next time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
I know sometimes its a bad idea to do some of the stuff from the track on the street.
TAKE IT TO THE......street??

HALFFAST GROUP
Old 10-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #15
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Ivan i disagree with most of the people here in one way or another. Everything you learn on the track translates to the street. As far as bp, depends on who you ask and they all teach different things. The really fast guys barely drag knee. So dont be overly concerned about your legs and sticking your knee out. You can def work on upper body. an exercise could To get your head off the side the bike standing it on the biggest part of the tire and bend your elbows. Again these are my opinions, but something else to keep in mind is to over-exaggerate it at first. Then when you get tired it will be right. And thats why you will hear people saying they were faster somehow but it felt slower. Or the go slow to go fast. Slow it down in your mind and it your eyes. If you that you slow the bike down too. Not physically but mentally. Now im not suggesting you go ride the streets the way you would the track but you can practice these things and get your form down at slower speeds then you can do it at higher speeds without thinking as much.

Last edited by THE DEAN OF LEAN; 10-13-2011 at 08:01 PM.
THE DEAN OF LEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #17
pester
Black olives matter

Feedback Rating: (12)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 yamaha fz6
1998 yamaha wr 400 motard

Member Garage

Quote:
I really need to get back to a trackday....

I noticed while we were riding lastnight, on my right hand turn (which is usually my easiest side) I wasn't really in a good body position and my knee really wasn't doing what it should. Instead of putting it out I was fighting it and tucking it in... It really made me think, the turn wasn't a complicated one and I really wasn't going at a high speed (maybe this is why). But I started thinking if maybe I'm starting to develop bad habits again with my riding position and corner entering.

I also started thinking about how long on my backroads rides I've been tucking my knees fighting to put it out a bit. I can think of a few times where I fought my knees and position a bit.

I haven't gone back to the track in quite a while (speeding tickets to pay from being pulled over in car) and now I have a new bike that I'm getting used to. So I know I need to get back out there (working on getting cornerworking)...

So I was wondering, for some of you guys that have done track before (but are just not as constant as other people), do you notice yourself start to loose a bit of what you learned?

Now that I'm aware of this I'm going to work on fixing it (I know the street wont provide a full opportunity to do so), I know the track will def get me back to getting it right.

For those that have ridden behind me on a ride, do you have opinions on my BP, how did it look? (I know you are focused on your turn, but I also know that you can see the guy in front of you too) Did you notice anything? I know I notice when someone is fighting their position and try to give them a bit of constructive feedback.

It was just weird noticing that I was starting to go back to getting into bad riding habits and wondered if I was alone...

That's all, discuss...

thank the lord you are telling us, can you imagine one more day without knowing every single aspect of your life?

please be safe, we need you here alive,

/ sarcasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickGixxer View Post
nevermind ima bumbass and ill get my wife 2 do it 2nite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt915 View Post
I know enough Spanish to stick you with a knife cabron
pester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:47 PM   #18
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAN LADEN View Post
Ivan i disagree with most of the people here in one way or another. Everything you learn on the track translates to the street. As far as bp, depends on who you ask and they all teach different things. The really fast guys barely drag knee. So dont be overly concerned about your legs and sticking your knee out. You can def work on upper body. an exercise could To get your head off the side the bike standing it on the biggest part of the tire and bend your elbows. Again these are my opinions, but something else to keep in mind is to over-exaggerate it at first. Then when you get tired it will be right. And thats why you will hear people saying they were faster somehow but it felt slower. Or the go slow to go fast. Slow it down in your mind and it your eyes. If you that you slow the bike down too. Not physically but mentally. Now im not suggesting you go ride the streets the way you would the track but you can practice these things and get your form down at slower speeds then you can do it at higher speeds without thinking as much.
Dude this really spoke to me.. Learning the fundamentals are very important.. Ive been learning that everyone does have one opinion or another. It's about how you are feeling the bike. From the different bikes I have noticed that it required a different body position for me.

Ivan you do keep your knee in a lot and I sometimes wonder if your putting the right amount of weight on you pegs.. You must have something right..

Just keep your focus being smooth and comfortable.. Yeah inknow coming from me smoothness is not a strong point but I'm working on it..

Also have you had your suspension set?
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #19
Bart
Thread killer

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2005 R6
'06 Suzuki Katana 750 (destroyed)

You're still here, you must be doing it right enough. Now, if you're like me and you end up going erratic speeds and have blurred visors from where you keep trying to use your right hand to attempt picking your nose while riding... now that's a bad habit.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #20
NewRider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pester View Post
thank the lord you are telling us, can you imagine one more day without knowing every single aspect of your life?

please be safe, we need you here alive,

/ sarcasm
Juat dhe hehlll ahr yu tolking about madder facker?!?

I haven't posted a thread in a while(that didn't involve a meet)

Aren't there some coronas that need drinking and some drunk riding that needs to be done??

Quit slacking!

HALFFAST GROUP

Advertisement