MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #41
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Civicious has a cheap bike hauler for sale right now that gets 26-28 mpg. Don't let the fools who show up with a Mack truck and 50 ft toy haulers fool ya, doing td's can be done MUCH more modestly.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thank you Average Joe! iDreaM General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 07-13-2011 05:09 PM
what is the average JRxGRUBZx General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 06-18-2008 06:18 PM
Average weight! Candie Off Topic 217 07-18-2006 07:51 PM
Average Age! Candie Off Topic 202 07-17-2006 02:11 PM
Not your average cooler chasee69 Off Topic 6 04-26-2006 04:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #42
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

I got a Frontier pretty much just for the purpose of loading the bike into the back. I get the ezup and all the junk i need into it with room to spare.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:09 AM   #43
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Also, if you are new to this, don't be afraid to post up on this forum and others and ask for a ride to the track (let them know you will split costs, pay for gas etc.) Lots of guys have trailers and/or room for another bike, and you will be surprised how friendly and helpful your fellow trackday riders are. The same is true at the track if you have any problems or questions.

Q2s with low miles will probably last you a few track days while you get up to speed.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #44
Marlon

Feedback Rating: (0)

wow, first i thought it will be more expensive than that..now im really interested in doing my first track day. when it comes to riding skills, at what point is a track day considered?
Marlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #45
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
wow, first i thought it will be more expensive than that..now im really interested in doing my first track day. when it comes to riding skills, at what point is a track day considered?
I just did my 3rd track day last saturday. I have been riding for 47 years, but I had never riden a sport bike until this last august when I bought a Honda cbr600rr.. I put about 300 miles on it and then signed up with ridesmart for my first track day on 8-20... I wish that I had not riden for 47 years at that point, I had many bad habits and instincts that I had to unlearn, it would have been much easier for me if I had only been riding for a few months... IMO if you are comfortable around town and at legal highway speeds, then you have enough experience for a first track day... you will learn more about yourself and your bike in one track day than you will in months of street riding, and learn it in a safer environment...
I did my first track day with ridesmart and my second and third with fastline... both are great organizations and you will not go wrong with either one....both have their pros and cons, and each has a slightly different "personality", you would just have to see which one fits you best.
ridesmart has more "tech" in their classes, but fastline has a better student to instructor ratio....you have to pick which one suits you best...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #46
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

you'll find your self working with both of them on and off...

Track days are not an arm and a leg.. If you spend 150 bucks every month on track days is better then if they catch yo speeding.. or get busted for illegal activities.. lol (I would know)

I love doing it.. (track riding) I have nothing to worry about.. there are no cops, trees or on the road.. still running the chanse or crashing BUT thats all up to you.. how much you push your self.

I'll be happy to help ya if you wanna go.
we have a very nice track day coming up on the 30th of this month at MSRH.. if you wanna go let us know and we will be more then happy to help.

Good luck!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #47
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

if you find someone with a truck and an open room for your bike then you will spend less then 100 bucks for the 1st time.
food will be giving with Ride Smart and all you need to keep your self in shape is lots of water and a few snacks. $10 bucks.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #48
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
thats what I was thinking before I started doing them... now look at me now! Got my bike all build for track and track tires and warmers.. full gear.. boots.. gas... more gas.. lots of gas...
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #49
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
thats what I was thinking before I started doing them... now look at me now! Got my bike all build for track and track tires and warmers.. full gear.. boots.. gas... more gas.. lots of gas...
speaking of, , this R6 sucks the gas down... I remember being able to only use 5-6 gallons and riding near every session, this bike used 10 or so gallons and only ran 6 sessions!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #50
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
speaking of, , this R6 sucks the gas down... I remember being able to only use 5-6 gallons and riding near every session, this bike used 10 or so gallons and only ran 6 sessions!
lol.. if you wanna go fast you have to use gas...
I use a full tank all day until like 2pm then its time to fill up.. I used to be able to go until 3pm but now that I'm going faster yeah gas doesn't last at all sir!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #51
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I always take an extra 5gl tank and I'm able to fill up my bike and my buddy's bike and still finish for the day. not full but enogh to finish
Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #52
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Ridesmart is the cheapest. You'll get 50% off as a first time rider. Average track day is $140 so that'll be $70 for you, Then they will provide you with free leathers and boots so that it'll run you $0. You'll just need to get yourself and your bike to the track.

Let me know when you're ready, I'll shoot you a 50% off coupon code.
! thats a smokin' deal indeed

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:52 PM   #53
unswift

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
when it comes to riding skills, at what point is a track day considered?
As long as you are comfortable with your motorcycle, I think the answer is whenever you are ready to learn. All the track day orgs have a "beginner/novice" level, and some offer beginners classes (Lone Star Track Days/LSTD for one). The usual format is to start with a "round robin" session or two where you follow an instructor and learn the lines, and then you progress as you get more comfortable with the track and your bike.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:40 PM   #54
Marlon

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
As long as you are comfortable with your motorcycle, I think the answer is whenever you are ready to learn. All the track day orgs have a "beginner/novice" level, and some offer beginners classes (Lone Star Track Days/LSTD for one). The usual format is to start with a "round robin" session or two where you follow an instructor and learn the lines, and then you progress as you get more comfortable with the track and your bike.
now im really pumped up about track days. i think it would help to improve my riding skills, although I feel comfortable with the bike sometimes i just play it too safe. i need to pick up speed and be more smooth on turns (always at the end of the pack in group rides )
Old 10-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #55
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
now im really pumped up about track days. i think it would help to improve my riding skills, although I feel comfortable with the bike sometimes i just play it too safe. i need to pick up speed and be more smooth on turns (always at the end of the pack in group rides )
I can tell you this... I used to ride full throttle and be all out.. started doing track days and now I'm more lay back then what I used to.. slowly I'm starting to ride at a slower pace on the streets.

your skills of riding will only get better the more you ride.. street... track.. doesn't matter.. just ride!
Now to IMPROVE your riding skills then hit the TRACK, You think you're fast until you hit your 1st track day then you really know what you can do. Anyone can rip the throttle open and hit 100+ mph on a straight road.. anyone.. ask Route Gange (they know all about that)

I tell all my friends to hit the track at leas once!.. now they can't wait to get back out there.. its soooo much fun been able to ride your bike the way it ment to be and not been pulled over

come out for your 1st one.. I promise we'll be nice to ya!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #56
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

oh.. one last thing about riding in groups.. you really dont have room to do anything to improve your skills with out having to worry if the rider in front is going to stop or too many people going slow.

at a track day you get to ride with instructors.. you get to practice and practice and practice everything about riding.. improving your riding skills, learn what your bike can really do and see what you can do.

You dont have to worry about holding people up. If someone is going to pass you, once they do you'll never see them again... you can pair up with someone and follow them for a few laps and also been follow for a few laps.

Now.. about the price? do some CW and you'll be fine!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #57
Marlon

Quote:
I can tell you this... I used to ride full throttle and be all out.. started doing track days and now I'm more lay back then what I used to.. slowly I'm starting to ride at a slower pace on the streets.

your skills of riding will only get better the more you ride.. street... track.. doesn't matter.. just ride!
Now to IMPROVE your riding skills then hit the TRACK, You think you're fast until you hit your 1st track day then you really know what you can do. Anyone can rip the throttle open and hit 100+ mph on a straight road.. anyone.. ask Route Gange (they know all about that)

I tell all my friends to hit the track at leas once!.. now they can't wait to get back out there.. its soooo much fun been able to ride your bike the way it ment to be and not been pulled over

come out for your 1st one.. I promise we'll be nice to ya!

I dont like to ride ball out because the streets are full of unexpected things,(animals,debris,gravel) crazy/dumb drivers, cops, etc so i ride but keep it as safe as i can. however is this safety window i think is holding me back somehow..

i have "fishtail" twice doing panic stops.. not a good feeling. but i did learned how to use the rear brake a little better or when not to use it

Quote:
oh.. one last thing about riding in groups.. you really dont have room to do anything to improve your skills with out having to worry if the rider in front is going to stop or too many people going slow.

at a track day you get to ride with instructors.. you get to practice and practice and practice everything about riding.. improving your riding skills, learn what your bike can really do and see what you can do.

You dont have to worry about holding people up. If someone is going to pass you, once they do you'll never see them again... you can pair up with someone and follow them for a few laps and also been follow for a few laps.

Now.. about the price? do some CW and you'll be fine!
yeah i agree group rides are not necessarily the best place to attempt a new trick or learn to ride because of the lack of space. i do feel kinda bummed at the end of the pack and holding people up..

im getting more convinced of the benefits of a track day, i need to learn my limits and my bike a little better. i will do my search and see which riding school matches my learning style better. thanks for all the advice

what is CW?
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #58
Sileighty
Squid

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
05 Ninja ZX-10R (Street)
05 Ninja 636 (Track)
08 Ninja 650R (Sold)
06 Ninja 650R (Sold)

Corner work.
Sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #59
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
I always take an extra 5gl tank and I'm able to fill up my bike and my buddy's bike and still finish for the day. not full but enogh to finish
i miss the 250. 2 hrs at race pace before we had to come in for a refueling.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #60
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
i miss the 250. 2 hrs at race pace before we had to come in for a refueling.
one day I ether wanna have a motar or a 250 to play with.. people love those things and are so cheep to keep up with.. even gas!

Last edited by floyd600; 10-10-2011 at 08:38 AM.

Advertisement