MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #21
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
faster you go, the more it will cost
Well this explains why its so cheap
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thank you Average Joe! iDreaM General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 07-13-2011 05:09 PM
what is the average JRxGRUBZx General Discussion (Moto Related) 45 06-18-2008 06:18 PM
Average weight! Candie Off Topic 217 07-18-2006 07:51 PM
Average Age! Candie Off Topic 202 07-17-2006 02:11 PM
Not your average cooler chasee69 Off Topic 6 04-26-2006 04:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #22
unswift

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 ZX-6R race
2008 EX250 race

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintalmighty View Post
Well, once I have my bike paid off (which be rather soon), I will be able to attempt to finally get onto the track scene. Approximately how much will a track day cost? I already have leather track pants but I'd rather get a suit than get a jacket to zip to them, so other than a suit, back protector, and a pair of gauntlets (I already have boots, snell helmet etc.)...what costs am I going to be looking at?
After you have your equipment, and pay the track day fee (some track days are more expensive than others, but remember that sometimes you also get what you pay for - and please also consider paying extra for a beginners riders course if it is offered, it will be worth it...) the biggest expense is usually tires. If you have fresh tires, then you are probably good for your first few track days because your pace will probably not be tearing up the tires too quickly. Just getting started with track days is not that expensive.

If you get hooked, and start running faster, then tires will become your biggest expense, and you might be buying warmers ($260-$600) and be shelling out between $300-400 for sticky fresh DOT race tires a few times a season. At this time you will probably want to get some race plastics for between $300-700 (again, you get what you pay for). As you get faster you might reach the limits of your stock suspension and need an upgrade ($1-$2K). Do you want to gain power and drop weight? Maybe you want a full exhaust system? PowerCommander? Once you get a PowerCommander you will probably want a professional tune on a dyno, so... You see where this is heading.
unswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
blaknwite

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
After you have your equipment, and pay the track day fee (some track days are more expensive than others, but remember that sometimes you also get what you pay for - and please also consider paying extra for a beginners riders course if it is offered, it will be worth it...) the biggest expense is usually tires. If you have fresh tires, then you are probably good for your first few track days because your pace will probably not be tearing up the tires too quickly. Just getting started with track days is not that expensive.

If you get hooked, and start running faster, then tires will become your biggest expense, and you might be buying warmers ($260-$600) and be shelling out between $300-400 for sticky fresh DOT race tires a few times a season. At this time you will probably want to get some race plastics for between $300-700 (again, you get what you pay for). As you get faster you might reach the limits of your stock suspension and need an upgrade ($1-$2K). Do you want to gain power and drop weight? Maybe you want a full exhaust system? PowerCommander? Once you get a PowerCommander you will probably want a professional tune on a dyno, so... You see where this is heading.
Buy a trackbike from a racer or someone upgrading. Unless you have an "in" and can do the work yourself converting a streetbike is not cost effective.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:46 AM   #24
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
WTF, you make more NOW than you did before!
false info! lol These guys are right though....those tires get expensive and I was cheap and ran street/race tires (Sticky icky bridgestones) without warmers thanks to John at South Central Race Center.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #25
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

Corner working!! Do it. I have yet to pay for a track day and I like corner working. You learn a lot from watching all the riders.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #26
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

well.... as everyone ^^ here already said. It will not be much for your 1st time thats for sure.

as you keep doing track days you will spend about $250 bucks on every track day (track day fee, gas, food, truck etc..) if you have a truck it will save you about 80bucks witch is really good...

as I can see you have a 250 on your avatar so I'm asuming you just wanna do track days for fun.. thats what I do now. just for fun! have a really good time even the day I crashed I had a fuking blast!!

I know Ride Smart is the only local track day provider that will give you free leathers...

Fast line has lest people on their track days witch will give you more one-on-one tips and lessons with your instructor.

Never done a trak day with LSTD and they do seems to have a higher cost of track day, BUT like they said before.. you get what you paid for! right?

as we all know.. other then tires been one of the things you spend more money on doing the track days and paying for it can get really expensive and for the must part will be one of the reasons that you will not be able to do track.

Ride smart does an awesome job on keeping the cost of the TD's at a cheeper price but also have more riders to cover the lost.

bottom line.. all this people doing track days (Ride Smart, FL, LSTD) They are all great people and you can't go wrong with any of them.. they all do an awesome job and its all up to you who you think fits you best.

so to answer your question.. you'll spend about 150 for the day.

Last edited by floyd600; 10-05-2011 at 08:31 AM.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #27
GABRIEL

Ninja 250's dont run through tires.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Ninja 250's dont run through tires.
yep! But the 09 CBR 600rr will eat tires like a fat kid eats cake.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #29
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile337 View Post
faster you go, the more it will cost
haha great explanation
Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #30
clintalmighty

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (Sold)
2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
yep! But the 09 CBR 600rr will eat tires like a fat kid eats cake.
This... I don't have the 250 anymore, idk how to change my picture. Are tires like Q2's good enough for beginner track riding?
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 AM   #31
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
This... I don't have the 250 anymore, idk how to change my picture. Are tires like Q2's good enough for beginner track riding?
lots of people use those tires at the track...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #32
clintalmighty

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (Sold)
2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
lots of people use those tires at the track...
Cool my bike still has the stock qualifiers on it, but I am not too worried cause I won't be going fast for a while
Old 10-05-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
GABRIEL

Quote:
Should have kept the twofiddy. I want to get one again.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #34
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

here is how you change your avatar

motohouston
Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #35
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

settings> avatar settings> upload from pc> pick picture> done!

I could had done this but my pictures is a lot better....
Old 10-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #36
clintalmighty

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (Sold)
2009 Honda CBR600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Should have kept the twofiddy. I want to get one again.
It was one or the other, I gotta pay for school first

Quote:
settings> avatar settings> upload from pc> pick picture> done!

I could had done this but my pictures is a lot better....
Lol thanks man

And I don't have a truck to transport my bike either, I'd have to work out a way to borrow one from a friend or something and get ramps and stuff to strap it down

Last edited by clintalmighty; 10-05-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #37
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cychotic View Post
$20k or more? Are you serious?
Over the course of 3-4 years I've probably spent that much between bikes, bike mods, tires, trackday fees, gear, and bike/truck fuel.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #38
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
It was one or the other, I gotta pay for school first

Lol thanks man

And I don't have a truck to transport my bike either, I'd have to work out a way to borrow one from a friend or something and get ramps and stuff to strap it down
here to help!

I dont have a truck.. I usualy rent a truck from enterprice or borrow my friends truck but its easier for me to just rent it because the insurance will cover it.

It was a pain in the the 1st few track days because of transportation.. people with transportation all they do its load up and go.. its so easy having your trailer or truck ready to rock the next day but when you have to run around to try to borrow your friends truck or even go rent your own its a little of a pain in the after a while.

I wanna get a truck just for this reason but I'm thinking about..
Old 10-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #39
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Trackdays are cheap after you've made the initial purchases of FULL gear, stands, tires, hitch or trailer. However, don't run out and buy all this stuff if you're not going to committed to doing them consistently. Try it out a few times and make sure its something you want to keep doing.

With snacks/gas I would average about ~$200 depending on the org and track.
Get a ride with a friend up there, split gas/snacks, and it can be reasonable.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 AM   #40
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
here to help!

I dont have a truck.. I usualy rent a truck from enterprice or borrow my friends truck but its easier for me to just rent it because the insurance will cover it.

It was a pain in the the 1st few track days because of transportation.. people with transportation all they do its load up and go.. its so easy having your trailer or truck ready to rock the next day but when you have to run around to try to borrow your friends truck or even go rent your own its a little of a pain in the after a while.

I wanna get a truck just for this reason but I'm thinking about..
There's definetly sacrifices to be made if you want to commit to this hobby. I'm "that " that commutes downtown in an obnoxiously big crewcab pickup that BARELY fits into the parking garage. But I can't afford 42 different vehicles for every different task, and having said bigass truck makes doing trackdays less of a hassle in the long run.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement