MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Throttle Vs Suspension.

I was doing some thinking, I know it's dangerous, after my TD Saturday as I came across a situation that was new to me. I'm more than sure my thoughts are based around a bike with improperly set up suspension. What happened that made me think was we were running GSS CCW. Coming out of 13 on the front straight is a right hand kink. I take it at the top of second gear. As I've gotten faster I've found my self more into the throttle thru that turn, thus carrying more speed on to the front straight. I had also found that the more I applied the throttle, the wider the bike wanted to run and I actually ran off the track in my first session and it caught me off guard.

So, throughout the day I was trying to figure out ways to get thru the corner faster without running wide or having to lean the bike to what I thought (and it probably wasn't) too far. Ultimately, I found a speed that was quick enough, at a lesser throttle that would carry my line thru and out of the corner and then get to full throttle once I started to pick the bike up.

I think where my questions come in is that I'm certainly not the only one faced with this. Suspension can be set up many different ways. What may give you the turn in, stability etc may take away from another area like corner exits. As I've never been the "Take it until you crash and back it off one" (ahhhemm..kib). I prefer to hear opinions on how to combat this.

I tried hanging off the bike more and longer - IE standing the bike up while still at full hang off, but I still found my self pushing to the edge of the track faster than I thought it should thus making me stop opening the throttle until the line straightened out.

I'm certainly not the most experienced rider and always willing to learn. I like the stability and the way my bike turns in now, but it seems to come at the cost of it running wide on corner exits. So, maybe someone has an option that will offer good discussion.

Thanks!
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle miester throttle lock $40 jimrad General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-15-2012 04:51 AM
On the throttle too soon Cornerjunkie General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 04-06-2011 11:44 AM
Twist the Throttle RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 08-29-2009 07:44 AM
THROTTLE blodgettboy24 Off Topic 8 08-30-2008 10:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Because of the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, the bike will always want to stand up, and therefore run wide, on corner exit.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Because of the gyroscopic effect of the wheels, the bike will always want to stand up, and therefore run wide, on corner exit.
Natually, I mean, that's physics that you can't get around but there's got to be a way to ride correctly or something to less that effect. I mean, coming out of that corner at full throttle seems impossible on my bike. It will run straight the off the track, as I found out, even with knee-down lean angles.

Then again, I might just be an -clown and riding all kinds of wrong.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
Natually, I mean, that's physics that you can't get around but there's got to be a way to ride correctly or something to less that effect. I mean, coming out of that corner at full throttle seems impossible on my bike. It will run straight the off the track, as I found out, even with knee-down lean angles.

Then again, I might just be an -clown and riding all kinds of wrong.

Alternatively you could be the jolly green giant and your bike is capable of a fuckload more lean than your "knee down lean angles" . Not tryingh to be insulting...........well, ok a little bit......but a taller dude in theory should be able to tap a knee down at a lower lean angle than a shorter dude.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

How is the suspension set up, and what suspesnsion are you running?

Read through this thread. A lot of good advice if nothing else
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238205

Last edited by Mark06gsxr; 10-04-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
triumphant675r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

I was running wide on that same kink, trying to come out at the top of second. It's probably different for me being a different size on a different bike, but I started staying a little wider from the previous turn and turning into 13 a little earlier, and it seemed to help. I was hitting 3rd as soon as the bike was upright rather than right before the finish line.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
ileono918
On hiatus

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Are you using the same line as when you were slower?

It could be that the line you were using before, at slower speeds, is pushing you wide coming out of that turn. You may have not notice it before because you were slower coming out of the turn, but now that you are giving it gas, it has become more noticeable.

Last edited by ileono918; 10-04-2011 at 02:34 PM.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
How is the suspension set up, and what suspesnsion are you running?

Read through this thread. A lot of good advice if nothing else
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238205
It's stock suspension with the fork caps flush with the triple and it's been adjusted. But there's nothing aftermarket in it.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post
going in to the corner, but not coming out.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

In my experience with MX, suspension set up just for your needs makes a HUGE difference. You don't realize it until you've had a bike re-valved and re-sprung for you. Having that done helps with endurance, cornering and over handling of the bike. I can't say much regarding sportbikes on tracks as I don't have first hand experience with that. But i'm 99% sure it would also make a significant difference in overall handling which would only help your cornering and ultimately your lap times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irak View Post

It could be that the line you were using before, at slower speeds, is pushing you wide coming out of that turn. You may have not notice it before because you were slower coming out of the turn, but now that you are giving it gas, it has become more noticeable.
This looks like very good advice here.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

I was thinking about this earlier but I was falling back to using a different line to get the next turn straightened out more.

ie cut 12 tighter (slower) and make the straight longer (faster). I had trouble getting the lines right to experiment with it but I noticed some videos where people were doing the same, mostly for setting up on passes on slower riders and getting a better drive into the straight while they're still trying to stand the bike up since they took 12 wider.. I think that would be more of a solution than changing your suspension if you're already comfortable with the way it has been setup for some time.

You could always call whoever set it up for you and get feedback as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
GABRIEL

O, what do you guys mean suspension is supposed to be setup?
Old 10-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
going in to the corner, but not coming out.
Sounds like you need to find a new entry line. More entry speed requires a wider line to still hit the 2/3 apex.

What tires are you running? You didn't mention if the bike is ROLLING towards the track edge or if your tires are SLIDING you out to the edge.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by imma_stocker View Post
Sounds like you need to find a new entry line. More entry speed requires a wider line to still hit the 2/3 apex.

What tires are you running? You didn't mention if the bike is ROLLING towards the track edge or if your tires are SLIDING you out to the edge.
Power Pures.

I'm pretty sure I'm not sliding out. At least, if I am, it doesn't feel like it.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

when i hit the gas going through turn 13 going into the front straight, i find myself aiming for the inside of the "kink" (almost at the dirt) KNOWING that it will push me to the outside of the straight when gas is applied.

perhaps when you go around turm 13 your not picking the bike back up fast enough? almost like you are lingering through the corner longer than needed.

I'm no CMRA. take much salt with this.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:39 PM   #17
GABRIEL

What I was also thinking, was that sometimes you start drifting out that way and you start looking that way. Look where you want to go.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Black is what I did when I ran off. Orange was what I was trying to do. LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	49426  
Old 10-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #19
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
What I was also thinking, was that sometimes you start drifting out that way and you start looking that way. Look where you want to go.
I've always been pretty good at looking where I want to go...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1249261743_cV4ZL-O.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	49427  
Old 10-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #20
GABRIEL

From the pic, your line is different than what i would take.