MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #21
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
People, both regular riders and instructors, keep telling me that I need to hang off more. Sadly, that's about all the advice your average instructor is going to give unless you're totally up a corner or you ask for help on something explicit.

Earlier this season I decided that my body position was "good enough" and started working on other aspects of my riding. Consequentially, this has been my most progressive season ever. I'm on board with the "stop trying to look perfect." Getting the generally right body position is useful, but at some point trying to achieve that extra little bit of perfection is probably taking time and focus away from a lot of other aspects of riding that you're neglecting, and add up to significantly more impact.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Body Position while Cornering! Rykoson General Discussion (Moto Related) 37 01-26-2013 07:57 PM
Body Position Help mx6er General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 06-17-2012 08:14 AM
Correct Body Position ivancuriel General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 04-23-2012 10:08 PM
Body Position Critique FKNA Taking it to the Track 33 11-09-2011 08:24 AM
WHO HAS BETTER BODY POSITION????? FastLine General Discussion (Moto Related) 93 08-11-2006 03:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

its like a golf pro keeps saying "turn your shoulders".. there a lot more to it then just looking good!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGZT View Post
I wonder also if you ride with someone faster/advance level, would it make your learn faster? ...instead of riding with people at the same level of group..

I'm assuming that by riding with someone with better skill than you, you'll learn their line and the speed instead of figuring that on your own?
that can benefit a rider that already possesses the skills needed to go faster, but not a rider still in the learning phase. the reason for that is you'll be riding over your head for the most part. you'll spend all your focus keeping up with the rider and you have no room for error or learning. you'll be riding 100% which can be dangerous.

when i'm at a trackday or race practice, i ride 80%. i leave 10% for error, and the other 10% to see where i can improve or how to improve.

racetime i ride 95% and leave 5% on where or how i'm gonna make a pass. there's no room for error for me come racetime.

just think about it in percentages. i never put 100% into the ride. gotta leave some room for thinking "just in case". hope that all made sense.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGZT View Post
I wonder also if you ride with someone faster/advance level, would it make your learn faster? ...instead of riding with people at the same level of group..

I'm assuming that by riding with someone with better skill than you, you'll learn their line and the speed instead of figuring that on your own?
I think you can learn from someone faster, but just SLIGHTLY faster. A Lvl1 guy trying to stay on the back of a white placer is, like Tony has suggested, going to be riding over there head.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
triumphant675r

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 Triumph Daytona 675 Triple

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I think you can learn from someone faster, but just SLIGHTLY faster. A Lvl1 guy trying to stay on the back of a white placer is, like Tony has suggested, going to be riding over there head.
I got some experience with this on saturday. I had a few plated bikes pass me and I'd try to hang for a turn or two until they took off. If nothing else, it was showing me those places where I could obviously carry a lot more speed than I thought, and where their entry and exit points were, but it wouldn't have been a good idea to try to tail them all the way around.

Larry from track junkie got in front of me for a lap and was able to set himself at just a couple notches past the pace I was riding, which was awesome. It was just enough to push me, and he stayed in sight so I could see his lines and whatnot, very cool.
Anyone wear chaps with fishnet shirts? My friends give me for it, but I feel most comfortable this way. Just seeing if anyone else out there feels the same. Also looking for other men interested in riding.
triumphant675r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #26
andygill17

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #27
Jefe

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'12 Haro Flightline 29er
'09 R6 (sold)
'07 V-Star 1100 Custom (sold)
'01 F4i (sold)

Great write up!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #28
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

Ask Doohan about body position.............
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #29
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
Ask Doohan about body position.............
You sir...are correct.

doohan

Great thread. Thanks to the OP.

This is how I roll...of course, I ain't that fast, but I love me some track days...

hondaad3
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance

Last edited by Tojo92; 10-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Fast is smooth.

Nice article tony. You should submit it to a magazine editor.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #31
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Glad to read this Tony.... cos my BP steeenks! I'm getting a bit faster each time out, so I figured why screw that up, I'll fix the BP later if necessary.

Quote:
As Mr. Whoopie once told me a few years back, "how do you look so fast..... but go so slow?!?" hahaha
HARRRSH!
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #32
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1