MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #21
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

i use it in everything...diesel truck, all my bikes, lawnmower...

JASO MA
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of motor oil do you use in your Track Bike? cyon Taking it to the Track 22 05-17-2013 10:50 AM
Motor Oil Preference? sunday_rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 62 02-22-2013 04:46 PM
Brad Pen motor oil captturbo General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-04-2009 01:39 PM
Motorcycle Oil Question RojerLockless General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-12-2008 12:31 AM
Whats the Best Motor Oil?? HOUSTONSR6 How To's and Q & A's 93 05-21-2007 11:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
Would they really stand behind it anyway? bluewave arent U having a really expensive engine problem right now? maybe they will reimburse U I honestly dont see any oil manufacturer paying for a engine repair, that being said I use it in several engines with no issues
Maybe they will hook me up. The ex. cam was worn to on one lobe and I had lower than expected HP numbers. Its back together as of yesterday. Now Im having #1 secondary injector problems.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #23
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

send them copys of the receipts and make up a labor bill maybe they will just drop u a check in the mail, fuggers, that sux, been checking out the build, wanna come out and watch u guys run sometime, might even bring my slow azz chit out too, just dont beat me up too bad, wish I could build a grudge or shootout bike
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #24
Jason_Canuck

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
A black one
and a red one

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz2866 View Post
Suitable for everything but m/c...... Their not going to stand behind it I'n a m/c... If it was meant for a m/c it would have a m/c were it shows "suitable for"...... I'm done here. Motors are expensive, oils cheap...

Meets JASO MA requirements right there in your picture.

From yamaha website.

**JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) defines and publishes motorcycle and automotive standards. JASO MA is the highest certified rating of motorcycle engine oil used with wet, multi-plate clutches. All Yamalube products listed here meet or exceed the JASO MA1 standard - the best for motorcycle engines.

Last edited by Jason_Canuck; 10-11-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Jason_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
blackhalo

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php...hlight=rotella

Wins the poll on the wera forums, tons of people use it and have been for sometime.
blackhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #26
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)
Fuzzy 150 (impounded by dad)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptshadow View Post
a guy from FZ1 forum did a long term analyze and follow up on that. Every report shows plenty of lubricant after 5K and the harmful materials are very minimal. He uses T6 and I have been using that for the past 5k. MPG still the same, bike still respond the same. Shell stands behind it since it's JASO rated (they can't lie abt it, can they?)
Oh, follow up on what I said. That guy actually emailed Shell R&D and tried find out about the myth, but didn't get a respond. So he emailed RoyalPurple which is also JASO MA rated, and they responded him back.

They said " if the oil is JASO MA rated, it's ok to be in m/c even though the tag on the bottle doesn't mention about it. As long as it's not raced with and is changed on the right interval, it would be fine."

FYI.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #27
crzy88

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636

If it's not a motorcycle oil branded item, I'm not going to put that in my bike.
crzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
ZaXoS

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
R1100S
GSX-R
VFR 750
Africa Twin (XRV-750)
CB750-k1

Been using it for many years as do a lot of people at the track. In fact I use it in all my vehicles. Spoke to Shell some years ago and they assured me it was safe to use in motorcycles with a wet clutch due to not having the friction modifiers that energy conserving oils have for certain cars.
Many years ago it was not JASO certified for motorcycle only because it did not meet the ash levels by 0.002% as Japan required. Back then they had told me they were working on it. As I see now i is JASO approved.
The only oil that you should not use in a wet clutch bike is an energy conserving oil.
Having said that, people that want to use Motul, Mobil1, ....etc please continue to do so, they are good oils as well and the rest of us would like to keep the Shell Rotella at a low price. When I started using the T6 it was @ $11 a gallon and only sold in drums and gallon containers. Now it is $22 a gallon at Walmart ($32 at Autozone) and sells in quart bottles as well.............so please keep the secret to yourself
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #29
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaXoS View Post
Been using it for many years as do a lot of people at the track. In fact I use it in all my vehicles. Spoke to Shell some years ago and they assured me it was safe to use in motorcycles with a wet clutch due to not having the friction modifiers that energy conserving oils have for certain cars.
Many years ago it was not JASO certified for motorcycle only because it did not meet the ash levels by 0.002% as Japan required. Back then they had told me they were working on it. As I see now i is JASO approved.
The only oil that you should not use in a wet clutch bike is an energy conserving oil.
Having said that, people that want to use Motul, Mobil1, ....etc please continue to do so, they are good oils as well and the rest of us would like to keep the Shell Rotella at a low price. When I started using the T6 it was @ $11 a gallon and only sold in drums and gallon containers. Now it is $22 a gallon at Walmart ($32 at Autozone) and sells in quart bottles as well.............so please keep the secret to yourself
it's all about how they tag the bottle and market the products.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:08 AM   #30
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy88 View Post
If it's not a motorcycle oil branded item, I'm not going to put that in my bike.
Is your fuel moto "branded"? I bet you need moto branded brake fluid too.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #31
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy88 View Post
Ignorance is bliss!
Old 10-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #32
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Ignorance is bliss!
Old 10-12-2011, 08:12 AM   #33
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

has anyone sent samples out to blackstone lab for oil testing (i think i got the lab name right)?

run the same bike, send in samples, compare.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #34
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumbeef View Post
has anyone sent samples out to blackstone lab for oil testing (i think i got the lab name right)?

run the same bike, send in samples, compare.
Yes, read my previous text.
That guy did a 2 straight tests, 5k each back to back on the non synthetic Rotella JASO MA rated (I believe,...the post was couple years back.) The results both came out normal.

He also did another 10k straight, no oil change in between. Guess what, the result showed normal too from the lab report.
He has a FZ1 Gen I from 01 or 02, and about a year ago, he had a post announcing that it hit 100k odo. Thaz when I switched over to Rotella

Which makes me think again, it's all how the products are marketed.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #35
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

A friend of mine with a racing connection says if I switch to moto specif oil that I'll gain at least 10 hp.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:36 AM   #36
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Is your fuel moto "branded"? I bet you need moto branded brake fluid too.
+1 good point.

oh oh, and those wax that has car picture on in can't not be applied on the motorcycle either
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #37
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
A friend of mine with a racing connection says if I switch to moto specif oil that I'll gain at least 10 hp.
I see what you did
Old 10-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
jptshadow
slow down~ fellas

Bike(s):
FZ1 & TMax (current)
TL1000R (stolen)
GSX400R (stolen)
RGV250 (stolen)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC View Post
That can be justified very easily as long as someone here has a connection to a dyno and 2 bottles of oil, Rotella and Mobil each.

On a racing tuned motor, it might be true, but on a daily usage tuned motor like yours or mine, no way you see that 10hp increment. I don't have a data to back that up but that 10hp on motorcycle should be like "night and day" for rider to feel it, not just "yea~~ it runs more smoothly, and the gas respond is quicker....". No, we are talking about huge, massive difference for you to feel it.

Well, at least I didn't feel it.
(I switched to Mobil between Rotella one time back then just for the heck of it)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #39
yumbeef
beef eater

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
08 ninja 250r
06 cbr600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jptshadow View Post
Yes, read my previous text.
That guy did a 2 straight tests, 5k each back to back on the non synthetic Rotella JASO MA rated (I believe,...the post was couple years back.) The results both came out normal.

He also did another 10k straight, no oil change in between. Guess what, the result showed normal too from the lab report.
He has a FZ1 Gen I from 01 or 02, and about a year ago, he had a post announcing that it hit 100k odo. Thaz when I switched over to Rotella

Which makes me think again, it's all how the products are marketed.
i just reread post 14. i was thinkig it'd be interesting comparing different oils in the same bike with new filters from the same batch, instead of a set of results from one bike using one type of oil.
yumbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #40
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I did see a dyno comparison of reg oil vs Royal Purple on Horsepower TV. They showed a 10 hp increase by changing engine oil, diff, and trans to RP. It was a chassis dyno.

Advertisement