MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #21
morvegil
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston Superbikes: New Bike Purchase [Review] itsmebanky General Discussion (Moto Related) 98 03-05-2013 04:39 PM
Title issue on a bike need help before purchase homi General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 11-13-2008 02:34 PM
Bike opinions cogs69 Off Topic 18 01-30-2008 06:12 PM
POST BIKE PURCHASE ryanx13 Off Topic 43 01-17-2007 01:56 PM
please give opinions on this purchase.. Solracer Taking it to the Track 20 11-09-2006 01:15 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 AM   #22
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
The concept of "as is" and "no warranty" only protects you to the limits that you inform your buyer of any problems that YOU can be legally expected to be aware of. And severe engine noise and poor drivability have time and again been shown to be things the seller SHOULD BE AWARE OF in many courts of Law.

People who think saying "as is" and "no warranty" gives them some kind of Umbrella protection against being piece of scumbags and peddling damaged goods behind a veil of ignorance are pathetic scum, barely above common thieves.
Hmmmmm, what does "caveat emptor" mean? The buyer has some responsibility too. Who pays for a used bike without even starting it or inspecting it?
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Your issues could potentially fall under either one of the following in the laundry list of DTPA concerns:

(7) Representing that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade, or that goods are of a particular style or model, if they are of another.

(23) The failure to disclose information concerning goods or services known at the time of the transaction and was used to induce the consumer into a transaction whom otherwise would not have entered had the information been disclosed.
This section prohibits a seller from failing to disclose information known by the seller at the time of the transaction if such withholding of information is intended to induce the consumer into a transaction, and if the information is such that had the consumer known it at the time of the transaction, the consumer would not have made the purchases.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
So you're saying a used vehicle sale without a warranty is not a "as is" sale?
No, I'm saying that for you to suggest that he should just give up and not try anything is complete and utter bullshit. That defeatist mentality just serves to validate unethical business practices.

How did you even get that from what I wrote anyway? You're doing that thing that women do, where I type one thing, and you read something completely different.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #25
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
Your issues could potentially fall under either one of the following in the laundry list of DTPA concerns:

(7) Representing that goods or services are of a particular standard, quality, or grade, or that goods are of a particular style or model, if they are of another.

(23) The failure to disclose information concerning goods or services known at the time of the transaction and was used to induce the consumer into a transaction whom otherwise would not have entered had the information been disclosed.
This section prohibits a seller from failing to disclose information known by the seller at the time of the transaction if such withholding of information is intended to induce the consumer into a transaction, and if the information is such that had the consumer known it at the time of the transaction, the consumer would not have made the purchases.
Yea well, I don't see in the OP where the seller made any claims as to condition.

Good luck proving that the seller hid a known defect

Maybe you could help a brother out and go to small claims court with him so he can get his money back. Let us know how that works out
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
And what's the misrepresentation here? You realize that damages under $10,000 are handled in small claims court, right?
I know it is handled in small claims court, that doesn't prevent the DTPA from being used. DTPA claims allow fee recovery independent of the damages in most cases, so if the case has merit it should be easy to get an attorney on board.

The misrepresentation would be failing to disclose a problem the dealer should have known about. I'm not up to date on what the buyer should be aware of in a motorcycle purchase according to case law, but the common practice of disallowing test rides might impact the outcome. Calling an attorney who works in consumer law would be the best way for the OP to sort this out though.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #27
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
No, I'm saying that for you to suggest that he should just give up and not try anything is complete and utter bullshit. That defeatist mentality just serves to validate unethical business practices.

How did you even get that from what I wrote anyway? You're doing that thing that women do, where I type one thing, and you read something completely different.
Maybe you could help a brother out and go to small claims court with him so he can get his money back. Let us know how that works out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlucas78 View Post

The next day I called the guy and he said I was out of luck and he couldn't do anything.
So what's the next step?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #28
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The next step is calling an attorney and if he takes it up making an offer to settle.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #29
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You will have to prove that he knew the issues with the bike. He sounds like a flipper. He will deny knowing anything about the bike.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #30
Captain Slow

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Hayabusa Sold
2009 GSXR-1000 Sold
2010 Yamaha Vmax
2014 RZR 1000 Sold
2010 ZR1 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I would start with the clutch. It should be less than 200 in parts to replace the fibers and steel plates. The noise could just be coming from chatter. Did you not test ride the bike at all?
I think we need to get back to this. You should of checked the bike out or had someone come with you to check it out.
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #31
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
I know it is handled in small claims court, that doesn't prevent the DTPA from being used. DTPA claims allow fee recovery independent of the damages in most cases, so if the case has merit it should be easy to get an attorney on board.

The misrepresentation would be failing to disclose a problem the dealer should have known about. I'm not up to date on what the buyer should be aware of in a motorcycle purchase according to case law, but the common practice of disallowing test rides might impact the outcome. Calling an attorney who works in consumer law would be the best way for the OP to sort this out though.
I guess it's a slam dunk. Can you represent him?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #32
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
You will have to prove that he knew the issues with the bike. He sounds like a flipper. He will deny knowing anything about the bike.
If he has a business regularly selling motorcycles there may be ways around this.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #33
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

Quote:
Maybe you could help a brother out and go to small claims court with him so he can get his money back. Let us know how that works out.
wow, you're retarded.
Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #34
cjlucas78
OOPS

Bike(s):
2007 R6
Huffy

I just got off the phone with the guy and he is not willing to do anything for the major repairs, he was willing to help with the smaller repairs though. He swears up and down that he did not know about anything wrong with the bike, but since it all went bad within 12 miles of me having it, he should have known something. He even repairs bikes as well as sell them.
cjlucas78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #35
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
+ 1.5 billion
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #36
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F. View Post
wow, you're retarded.
Did you come up with that all by yourself?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #37
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
I guess it's a slam dunk. Can you represent him?
If I worked in Houston and practiced consumer law, I would certainly take his call. Posts on a forum are enough to recommend that he contact an attorney, not enough to predict a win.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #38
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjlucas78 View Post
I just got off the phone with the guy and he is not willing to do anything for the major repairs, he was willing to help with the smaller repairs though. He swears up and down that he did not know about anything wrong with the bike, but since it all went bad within 12 miles of me having it, he should have known something. He even repairs bikes as well as sell them.
www.texasbar.com
Old 09-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #39
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I believe he didnt know about the bike. They buy these bikes sight unseen half the time and flip them quickly. I would be willing to bet her never even threw a leg over the bike.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #40
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
If I worked in Houston and practiced consumer law, I would certainly take his call. Posts on a forum are enough to recommend that he contact an attorney, not enough to predict a win.
Well, how about a referral?

Advertisement