MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
grantmcw

Feedback Rating: (0)

Need opinions

Hello everyone! I'm new here and new to riding. I've completed all my courses and have my license (Awesome Cycles is greatness btw) and I'm looking for my first bike.

Basically, I want something sporty, but that offers a more comfortable riding position and isn't such a death rocket like the aggressive sport bikes. I'm about 6 feet and 235lbs.

The two bikes I've really been looking at are the Yamaha FZ6R and ninja 650r. So first I was wondering if anyone has any feedback between these two.

Secondly, it seems the banks aren't wanting to finance anything that could be classified as a "sport" bike, so a dealer tried listing a sport-touring bike and got it approved. The only bike he has in the shop that they would bite on is a 2009 bandit 1250s. He is insistent that because it's a more touring oriented bike, it won't be overwhelming in spite of being a 1250. I really like the bike and it would fit my needs (long highway commute with no traffic during the week and lots of weekend fun) but it seems like that is an awful lot of bike for a newbie. Am I right to think it's too much bike? Is he right that being a touring bike would make it more manageable? Or, is he just trying to make a sale at the risk of me killing myself?

Third, anyone have any other suggestions?
grantmcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need opinions dboi Events, Meets and Rides 22 09-29-2013 10:05 PM
Need your opinions please help :-) 2KBUSA General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 10-24-2010 09:38 PM
Opinions... 1FastMF General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 02-28-2009 02:23 PM
Need opinions dbonezny General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 11-22-2006 07:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-28-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

The bikes mentioned (FZ6, 650r) are good bikes. Also, consider adding SV650s to your list.

I'm not a big fan of financing a first bike. Depending on your situation I would pay cash and buy something on the cheap. For example, SVs can be bought for 1500-3k all day long and are considered to be great bikes for all riders.

The bandit 1250s is WAY too much bike for a new rider IMO. Although, some will tell you start on a big bike blah blah blah.... plz ignore them.

Remember, you will also need to buy gear. Count on spending 500-1000 depending on the quality you buy.

You are starting at the right time. The temps are cooling down and it's a buyer's market at the moment.

BTW Welcome!
Old 09-28-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
jin

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

I've ridden a 650r and I currently own an FZ6R. Both are great but I took the Yamaha because I like the instrumentation better.
jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I wouldn't buy new or finance your first bike. Nobody intends to drop their bike or crash, but if it is going to happen it will surely happen in your first year of riding. Get any mistakes you will make out of the way on a cheap bike that you won't mind beating up. This will save you a lot of money in the long run, especially in insurance.

Even at your size, I'd say go with a used 250 or 500. Neither will have the acceleration of a 650r or fz6r, but they are really forgiving and are pretty much bullet-proof. Also, the acceleration you get out of either will not be dangerously slow.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Meaner-n-u
Just so you know...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2013 Triumph Speed Triple SE
09 Fz6"Rrrrr"

All good opinions and I'm sure there will be more to follow. A lot of us started on cheap, used bikes. Bikes that can be bought and sold for a small amount. Dropped and repaired for small amounts and replaced when we have the experience to NOT drop and need to repair them.

Buy used for your first bike. You won't ever regret dropping a used bike the way you will dropping that NEW ~ Over Priced ~ Financed ~ Crazy too big for a Newbie 1250.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
bluewave18
Safety Third

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The banks dont give a about the bikes classification. He is probably more concerned you will biks about the insurance and back out of the purchase
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
grantmcw

Thanks everyone. The bikes I'm looking at are definitely used and pre-blemished (I know I'll drop it). The financing issue is really more of an instant gratification issue for me. I could pay cash in a few months, or finance it and have the bike now and still have it paid for in a few months. Then, I'll drop the full coverage when it's paid for. So don't be afraid I'm buying some pristine fancy bike.

The insurance quotes have all been reasonable. Actually lower on what I want than what the bank wants me to have. So that's not the issue.

I appreciate the advice about a 250, but I am just physically too uncomfortable on them for the length and type of riding I'll be doing. Based on the way I handled the 250 at the msf course, I feel like I could handle the more user friendly 600s like the fz6r and 650r. There's no way I'd get on an R6 or gsxr.

Keep the responses coming. They've been very helpful. I'd really like to hear more feedback on the fz6r vs. the 650r. I assumed the consensus would be that the bandit is too much for a newbie. Thanks for confirming.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

So how did you do durring your class? Did you almost crass, feel comfey on the bike. Felt like the task they asked you to do were easy?
Would have to suggest a bike based on how well you can ride.
Have you ridden before? Dirtbikes? Quads? First time at the class?
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
rebelrider713

Honda cbr600rr. Great bikes. I had an 07 and now an 08 for the track. Can get them pretty cheap too
rebelrider713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
grantmcw

@Gabriel- I feel like I did pretty well in the class. I was confident on the bike, but not comfy. The 250 felt really cramped. After 1-2 repetitions to figure them out, all the exercises felt easy.

The course was my first time to ride.
Old 10-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #11
Lucar

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

you should research and really compare the 650R, IMO, it's the best bike you can get to begin, good looks, and good stance.. good MPG, and cheap insurance. try getting it used, like an '06+ there's the black/red.. it's an awesome theme, 17" rims, wabble front brakes, easy throttle and a great step to something cooler, faster, meaner, what have you..

Good luck, AGAAT
welcome
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #12
Dave S

I started on a Ninja 500, but in three months I had graduated to an FZ6. I think either of those would be reasonable starting bikes.

To me, the FZ6 was a better choice than the FZ6R, because it had the aluminum frame instead of the less costly steel frame. It also has more power, though either one will have more than enough power for me. (I'm not afraid to admit I'm still learning.)

In fact, the Ninja 500 had plenty of power for me, but I wanted the smoothness of the four cylinder engine.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #13
Dave S

Couple other things FYI:

I rode a Kawasaki Versys and found the two cylinder motor to be unpleasantly rough compared to the Yamaha four. I think it's the same engine as in a Ninja 650, so you might take that into consideration.

I also rode a Buell Ulysses XT that I really wanted to like, but the Harley motor was just too lumpy at idle. And I rode a Moto Guzzi Norge that I really liked, but it just felt too big for me at 600+ pounds wet.
Dave S is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement