MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #1
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

dr250s sudden jolt of "power"

riding home today, i was surprised with a sudden surge of rpm's.
i was cruising at around 65 to 70 in 4th and the bike suddenly revved to 9k. i upshifted and it seemed like all was well after that.
wtf caused that? wtf do i need to do? money is tighter than usual right now, so i cant take it to a shop.
it also doesnt like to go into neutral and show the neutral light. aaannnnd my bike wont kick start unless that light is on. i can get into neutral fairly easily... its just getting that light.

i cant wait to get this bike's problems sorted out. it should make for a fun little commuter toy. i'm looking fairly adv now. ive got my gallon gas tank on the rack and a small bag o tools with it.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this a re-post? "Fastest" MotoGP full length documentary sequel to "Faster". eltejano General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 05-27-2011 10:23 AM
What was your first "whoah, power!" bike? GAU-8 General Discussion (Moto Related) 59 05-26-2010 06:05 AM
Good Bye "Habeas Corpus", Hello "Enemy Belligerent Act of 2010" CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 70 03-12-2010 03:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-23-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

also, i thought i had the carb somewhat sorted out. it wasnt leaking and it held a nice idle, but after a little riding, the bike will only idle around 4k. any less and it dies. it also leaks. i have to keep the petcock on reserve because it wont work on the main setting. i have to remember to turn it to main when i shut it off because reserve is gravity fed. this is my 1st bike with a petcock- is that a normal scenario?
Old 09-23-2011, 04:29 AM   #3
SilverBullet

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosenoose View Post
riding home today, i was surprised with a sudden surge of rpm's.
i was cruising at around 65 to 70 in 4th and the bike suddenly revved to 9k.
What? DR250 cruising 70mph in 4th gear and it can suddenly rev up to 9K? Your clutch must be slipping for it to do that. But in any case an increase of revs is probably due to sticking throttle cable/tube or carb slide.

Quote:
it also doesnt like to go into neutral and show the neutral light. aaannnnd my bike wont kick start unless that light is on. i can get into neutral fairly easily... its just getting that light.
Does your bike have a clutch interlock switch? If so it could be electrically tied into the neutral light sensor. Next time when in neutral but light is off try holding in the clutch while you're kicking it over. For permanent fix check all wiring connections from neutral sensor and the sensor itself. Usually found under the clutch side engine case.

Quote:
also, i thought i had the carb somewhat sorted out. it wasnt leaking and it held a nice idle, but after a little riding, the bike will only idle around 4k. any less and it dies. it also leaks. i have to keep the petcock on reserve because it wont work on the main setting. i have to remember to turn it to main when i shut it off because reserve is gravity fed. this is my 1st bike with a petcock- is that a normal scenario?
Carb still needs cleaning. Sounds like your gas tank might have junk in it hence the petcock main pickup tube screen blocked and not working. If you already cleaned the carb but not the tank then it immediately got junked up again from the tank. Check the vacuum hose on the petcock also. No vacuum no gas flow even on reserve. I think you're currently using petcock on prime not reserve.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Tim Vipond
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Tim Vipond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

thanks for the reply
i dont know if i have a clutch interlock switch, but i do always hold the clutch in when i kick it. i noticed a couple of days ago that it would not start unless the neutral light was on.

the tank had the inside peice of the gas cap loose inside of it. there is still a washer in there that i couldnt get out. and i have what looks like very light surface rust on the inside. i plan to get a clear clarke tank as soon as i can.

i have heard something about a treatment or coating or something for old gas tanks. know anything about it? should i give that a try?

i gave the petcock a good cleaning when i had the gas tank off, chasing down the rattling washer. i think i do have it switched to reserve, also. in the other 2 settings the bike will just not run at all, even with a full tank.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 AM   #6
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vipond View Post
Check your engine oil level. If overfilled, it could cause clutch and other problems.

Using a JASO MA2 rated motorcycle oil is provides more friction and less slip for a wet clutch. Might be worth a try. My favorite is http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx?zo=1181889 and available at sited sponsor Motorcycles Unlimited, Stubbs Telephone Road, and Team Mancuso Power Sports Southwest.

Try a good gasoline carb cleaner made for motorcycles and 10% ethanol fuel. My favorite is http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx?zo=1181889 . Site sponsor Motorcycles Unlimited stocks it.

If you suspect a dirty air intake, try a good carb cleaner such as http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx?zo=1181889 . Just remove the air cleaner, idle the engine, and shoot it into the air intake. Nonsite sponsors AJ Foyt Cycles and Tomball Auto and Diesel stock it and the above site sponsors can order it for you.
i know at least the intake is good. i replaced that when i got the bike.
im hoping to change the oil on this paycheck. like i said above, money is tighter than usual. bleh. it looked pretty full when i checked it recently so there may be something to that.
thanks for the reply
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
SilverBullet

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Check your engine oil level. If overfilled, it could cause clutch and other problems.

Using a JASO MA2 rated motorcycle oil is provides more friction and less slip for a wet clutch. Might be worth a try. My favorite is http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mcf.aspx?zo=1181889 and available at sited sponsor Motorcycles Unlimited, Stubbs Telephone Road, and Team Mancuso Power Sports Southwest.

Try a good gasoline carb cleaner made for motorcycles and 10% ethanol fuel. My favorite is http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aqs.aspx?zo=1181889 . Site sponsor Motorcycles Unlimited stocks it.

If you suspect a dirty air intake, try a good carb cleaner such as http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/apf.aspx?zo=1181889 . Just remove the air cleaner, idle the engine, and shoot it into the air intake. Nonsite sponsors AJ Foyt Cycles and Tomball Auto and Diesel stock it and the above site sponsors can order it for you.
Did OP post in your Sponsors/Vendors forum by mistake? Better to help people without bias than strictly being a salesman for your products. Even the businesses that actually pay to Sponsor this site don't blatantly plug like this. I say stop the commercial breaks or be banned.

_
Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Last edited by Tim Vipond; 09-23-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
SilverBullet

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2009 KTM 250SX
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Loosenoose thanked me for my reply. I have helped others in the past. I've worked on my own bikes, vehicles and equipment for 40 years. I'm a retired Shell Oil chemist. Thought I could help him as I've helped others here.
Help is good and you did some of that. But like I said better to help without bias and not make a commercial out of it for your own products.

He also said he is on a very tight budget. So for example directing him to a $3 can of Berryman's B12 carb cleaner would be more helpful than your product don't you think? I can only guess yours is double or triple the price or more.

_
Old 09-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Tim Vipond
Banned

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200LT
1973 JC Penney 3 speed

User is banned

Old 09-23-2011, 07:33 AM   #11
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

a dr 250 cruising at 70 in 4th would probably be the culprit for high rpms...I had a dr350 with a 6 speed and you knew if you were at 70 in 6th, no way in 4th.

I dont know about your rpms, but I do know your carb needs attention if you have to ride with the choke on.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 09-23-2011 at 07:36 AM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
TomballD

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80

^ What he said, I have the 350 as well just dont have time to get into what some issues could be, Ill come back later when I have sime time to type, but I think Tim has nailed down a few issues to chase
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Did OP post in your Sponsors/Vendors forum by mistake? Better to help people without bias than strictly being a salesman for your products. Even the businesses that actually pay to Sponsor this site don't blatantly plug like this. I say stop the commercial breaks or be banned.

_
I think he spread the sponsor list out for him to see and possibly get a discount via using the site sponsors. I think it would have been different if he was promoting his shop directly like that, but seriously he basically was pushing the OP to, in my opinion knowledgeable various places that would/could help correctly. btw, I like amsoil stuff too, but when a carb needs opened up and cleaned, shooting stuff in it / on it, aint gonna help.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by ScooterTrash; 09-23-2011 at 07:42 AM.
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #14
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Main jet clogged? Maybe it was, and you "sorted it out" in that state. When it finally blew clean, it idles at 4000, and revved when it actually got the proper fuel.

That's my guess....

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Sounds like the low speed circuits are still clogged or you have a serious vacuum leak.
I'd bet it's the carb. You'll need to do more than just spray through it, it'll need to be fully disassembled and soak the body to clear the passages.
As far as the other issues, your neutral indicator switch or wiring my be dirty/have a short. Check your wiring for bare / pinched wires or corrosion.
Your sudden rise in revs could be several things. Since it sounds like it only did it once monitor it and see if it does it again.
Last, an over full crankcase typically won't cause the clutch to slip, if anything it'll cause the clutch to drag while it's disengaged.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #16
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Some good replies here. Thanks, everyone... even the pusher man. I like supporting sponsors when i can. It just wont be happening righ
t now.
Sunday will hopefully be a productive day for me
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #17
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Stupid phone double posting lol.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
TheMagicMan
SBN Mechanic

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'97-DR650 '01-RC51 '03-XR250R '83-XR80R '93-XR80R '03-XR50

Also the neutral thing could be from the thrust washer behind the basket. I remember reading about it a long time ago. Not sure if that's true or not. But read that when I was doing a lot of researching on the problems with the 350 and the 650.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement