MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
cytukyl
Senior Member
 
cytukyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Never Eat Sour Worms...heights area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,584


Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)



Member Garage


buying thoughts

so im officially back on the market for a used bike, ive been checking alot of sites out as of late and the same questions and answers pop in my head when i read what the seller wants. may be its my own paranoia or just the lack of trust i have with strangers but i always thinking of these when i read for sale bikes:
1. CASH IN HAND- i get that no cash in hand means no test ride, in this economy and people filled with desperation the trust among people is low, so the reality of me carrying around 4-5k in my pocket is a negative, i rather just go to the bank and get a cashiers check
2. PRICE IS FIRM - in a perfect world, you will get the perfect price with the perfect buyer, i know a low ball is a low ball but when theres no room for negotiating because blue book value sais u deserve 7k for a 03 R6 really doesnt mean a dam thing to a buyer
4. BRING PEOPLE WITH YOU IF U HAVE CASH- my theory is that there will always be more of them than us
5. BRING A GUN- i nearly slaped the out of the person who gave me this option, a stray bullet is a stray bullet
6.WALK AWAY- does this really encourage sellers to break?
7. TAKE IT TO Motorcycles Unlimited BEFORE YOU BUY- like i said before in a "prefect world"

i could care less if i get laughed at for thinking like this but in reality why shouldnt i think like this since im the one droping the cash,
i know this is a weird rant but i was always curious about everyone elses thoughts bout these questions when they are buying a motorcycle
__________________
I CAN ONLY PLEASE ONE PERSON A DAY-
TODAY IS NOT YOUR DAY.
TOMORROW DOESNT LOOK GOOD
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
thoughts of buying a bike that belonged to a deceased person superkat General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 10-12-2011 02:55 PM
thoughts? BoyO General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 01-06-2011 11:17 PM
Some thoughts now that we are where we are. Mr. Unassailable The Circus 54 11-05-2008 06:14 PM
thoughts?? paniro187 The Circus 7 09-24-2008 04:03 PM
What are the thoughts..... Slingblade92 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 04-02-2006 03:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,330

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


It sounds like your is bleeding. GL
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
lucydad
Senior Member
 
lucydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 855

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90






I share your thoughts about the cash in hand. Buying a used bike is a difficult proposition. I am pondering the same thing, in the 8-9 grand category. We will see what the seller wants. No test ride means no sale though, and that is a of a lot of cash to be carrying. Strange game. Good luck.
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








  • There's no way in I would have cash in hand.
  • I would definitely be packing
  • On my bill of sale, I incorporate this one line "Seller allows the Buyer ___ days to have the Vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic, and agrees to cancel the sale if the inspection is unsatisfactory to the Buyer". The amount of days can be agreed upon the sale. This will give you time to bring it to Motorcycles Unlimited or where ever. If the Seller doesn't agree to those terms on an "AS IS" sell, I'll walk away.
  • FIRM? There's no such thing as firm. Now I won't try to negotiate a price until I inspect the vehicle and ready to buy. If it's a vehicle I don't want, no since in negotiating before hand.
  • Walk Away? straight.....you always have to be willing to walk away. When I bought my R1 4-5 years ago, I negotiated the price down to $6k. Then I started talking about the back tire (needed replacing). Told the seller last thing I wanted to do is spend $6k and then have to sink money into the bike. He wouldn't do a thing. So I walked away. The next day he called me and his end of the convo went something like this..."If I put a tire on the back will you buy the thing?" Told him yes. I think he was strapped for cash, for it took him 2 weeks before he got a tire on it. But once he did, he had a sell. So YES......ABSOLUTELY YES. You ALWAYS have to be willing to walk away, no matter how bad you want something. Once you are willing to do that, it tilts the playing field into your favor.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
cytukyl
Senior Member
 
cytukyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Never Eat Sour Worms...heights area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,584


Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
It sounds like your is bleeding. GL
Really?!....
cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,330

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by cytukyl View Post
Really?!....
Really...You've bought bikes before no? A little bit of common sense goes a long way. if you don't know what you're looking at bring a friend. Meet in a nicer public place i.e. not gunspoint. Make sure you are comforatble with the person you are dealing with before showing cash (leave cash in car or tell them you have to go get it) etc....

COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY.
__________________
"I haven't seen the crash, but I think Marc needs to be penalized for two or three seasons! Until I stop racing!"-VR46
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider
 
Smart Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alief
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,241

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)







Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY.
but that doesn't make any of his points invalid.
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
cytukyl
Senior Member
 
cytukyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Never Eat Sour Worms...heights area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,584


Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
  • There's no way in I would have cash in hand.
  • I would definitely be packing
  • On my bill of sale, I incorporate this one line "Seller allows the Buyer ___ days to have the Vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic, and agrees to cancel the sale if the inspection is unsatisfactory to the Buyer". The amount of days can be agreed upon the sale. This will give you time to bring it to Motorcycles Unlimited or where ever. If the Seller doesn't agree to those terms on an "AS IS" sell, I'll walk away.
  • FIRM? There's no such thing as firm. Now I won't try to negotiate a price until I inspect the vehicle and ready to buy. If it's a vehicle I don't want, no since in negotiating before hand.
  • Walk Away? straight.....you always have to be willing to walk away. When I bought my R1 4-5 years ago, I negotiated the price down to $6k. Then I started talking about the back tire (needed replacing). Told the seller last thing I wanted to do is spend $6k and then have to sink money into the bike. He wouldn't do a thing. So I walked away. The next day he called me and his end of the convo went something like this..."If I put a tire on the back will you buy the thing?" Told him yes. I think he was strapped for cash, for it took him 2 weeks before he got a tire on it. But once he did, he had a sell. So YES......ABSOLUTELY YES. You ALWAYS have to be willing to walk away, no matter how bad you want something. Once you are willing to do that, it tilts the playing field into your favor.
besides cosmetics, wear and tear and the sound of the engine, is there anything else u look to use negotiatiing?
__________________
I CAN ONLY PLEASE ONE PERSON A DAY-
TODAY IS NOT YOUR DAY.
TOMORROW DOESNT LOOK GOOD
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,330

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Shark View Post
but that doesn't make any of his points invalid.
oolong pancake
__________________
"I haven't seen the crash, but I think Marc needs to be penalized for two or three seasons! Until I stop racing!"-VR46
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #10
brandontx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 4,747

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2008 Husqvarna SM 510
2008 Yamaha YZ250F








Quote:
Originally Posted by cytukyl View Post
so im officially back on the market for a used bike, ive been checking alot of sites out as of late and the same questions and answers pop in my head when i read what the seller wants. may be its my own paranoia or just the lack of trust i have with strangers but i always thinking of these when i read for sale bikes:
1. CASH IN HAND- i get that no cash in hand means no test ride, in this economy and people filled with desperation the trust among people is low, so the reality of me carrying around 4-5k in my pocket is a negative, i rather just go to the bank and get a cashiers check
2. PRICE IS FIRM - in a perfect world, you will get the perfect price with the perfect buyer, i know a low ball is a low ball but when theres no room for negotiating because blue book value sais u deserve 7k for a 03 R6 really doesnt mean a dam thing to a buyer
4. BRING PEOPLE WITH YOU IF U HAVE CASH- my theory is that there will always be more of them than us
5. BRING A GUN- i nearly slaped the out of the person who gave me this option, a stray bullet is a stray bullet
6.WALK AWAY- does this really encourage sellers to break?
7. TAKE IT TO Motorcycles Unlimited BEFORE YOU BUY- like i said before in a "prefect world"

i could care less if i get laughed at for thinking like this but in reality why shouldnt i think like this since im the one droping the cash,
i know this is a weird rant but i was always curious about everyone elses thoughts bout these questions when they are buying a motorcycle
Shopping for a bike is supposed to be fun you know.
brandontx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider
 
Smart Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alief
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,241

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)







dude


/threadjack
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Smart Shark
The Prodigal 250 Rider
 
Smart Shark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alief
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,241

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650
2006 Honda CBR600RR (RIP)
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (RIP)







Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontx View Post
Shopping for a bike is supposed to be fun you know.
Agreed! I've been bike shopping for three years now. Such pain-staking fun!
Smart Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!
 
Rykoson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 5,305

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street


Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
oolong pancake
__________________
Ryan S. CMRA # 915
sigpic17258 1
...what doesn't Kill you only makes you stronger!!! "Live Now"
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #14
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








Quote:
Originally Posted by cytukyl View Post
besides cosmetics, wear and tear and the sound of the engine, is there anything else u look to use negotiatiing?
When it comes to my negotiating, the #1 thing that drives me is a budget. I come up with a dollar amount that I am willing to spend on a certain product/vehicle, then I STICK TO IT. That's where being willing and able to walk away comes in handy. So do your research before hand. Find out the blue book value of the bike before you even meet with the seller. Check other ads for the same kind of bike to see what others are asking. I can't stress enough though, BE WILLING TO WALK AWAY.

When I bought my travel trailer 7-8 years back, I had a price in mind on how much I was going to spend. At one point the salesman thought he had a sell, he thought he had gotten the price down to what I was willing to pay. He was still $1,000 off the mark. I really really REALLY wanted to buy a trailer (new) that day, but the price was still $1,000 over what I had in my mind. I was willing to walk away. Told the salesman he needed to get the price down another grand. At first he was unwilling......that is, until I got up and was about to walk out the door. Two hours later, he got the price down another $950 (which was close enough for me) and the deal was done. Moral of the story, even though I wanted that trailer soooooooo bad, I was still willing to walk away. When negotiating, you really don't need a "reason" for the seller to drop the price (cosmetics, wear n tear, etc.) Only reason you need is what you want to spend. It puts all the power in your hands. And if the deal doesn't go through, so be it. There will be other deals out there to be had.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #15
cytukyl
Senior Member
 
cytukyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Never Eat Sour Worms...heights area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,584


Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Really...You've bought bikes before no? A little bit of common sense goes a long way. if you don't know what you're looking at bring a friend. Meet in a nicer public place i.e. not gunspoint. Make sure you are comforatble with the person you are dealing with before showing cash (leave cash in car or tell them you have to go get it) etc....

COMMON SENSE GOES A LONG WAY.
Ohhh right dam I forgot about this desperateness in people now adays, someone that owns a house probably isnt facing a forclosure, someone that wears a suit every day surely isnt unemployed, someone with 2 kids isn't in a divorce, the waiter giving u that eating grin is because he's ecstatic to be waiting on u, people that talk on the phone r better drivers....What kind of ignorant arrogant fool goes into a deal without all cards facing up
cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #16
cytukyl
Senior Member
 
cytukyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Never Eat Sour Worms...heights area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,584


Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
When it comes to my negotiating, the #1 thing that drives me is a budget. I come up with a dollar amount that I am willing to spend on a certain product/vehicle, then I STICK TO IT. That's where being willing and able to walk away comes in handy. So do your research before hand. Find out the blue book value of the bike before you even meet with the seller. Check other ads for the same kind of bike to see what others are asking. I can't stress enough though, BE WILLING TO WALK AWAY.

When I bought my travel trailer 7-8 years back, I had a price in mind on how much I was going to spend. At one point the salesman thought he had a sell, he thought he had gotten the price down to what I was willing to pay. He was still $1,000 off the mark. I really really REALLY wanted to buy a trailer (new) that day, but the price was still $1,000 over what I had in my mind. I was willing to walk away. Told the salesman he needed to get the price down another grand. At first he was unwilling......that is, until I got up and was about to walk out the door. Two hours later, he got the price down another $950 (which was close enough for me) and the deal was done. Moral of the story, even though I wanted that trailer soooooooo bad, I was still willing to walk away. When negotiating, you really don't need a "reason" for the seller to drop the price (cosmetics, wear n tear, etc.) Only reason you need is what you want to spend. It puts all the power in your hands. And if the deal doesn't go through, so be it. There will be other deals out there to be had.
hey thanks for the advice, im gonna keep all this in mind when i start approaching sellers
__________________
I CAN ONLY PLEASE ONE PERSON A DAY-
TODAY IS NOT YOUR DAY.
TOMORROW DOESNT LOOK GOOD
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #17
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,330

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by cytukyl View Post
Ohhh right dam I forgot about this desperateness in people now adays, someone that owns a house probably isnt facing a forclosure, someone that wears a suit every day surely isnt unemployed, someone with 2 kids isn't in a divorce, the waiter giving u that eating grin is because he's ecstatic to be waiting on u, people that talk on the phone r better drivers....What kind of ignorant arrogant fool goes into a deal without all cards facing up
Depends on the suit

Then again, WTF do I know. I've never bought or sold bikes for profit before....
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #18
cytukyl
Senior Member
 
cytukyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Never Eat Sour Worms...heights area
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 2,584


Bike(s):
01 red/white R6 badass edition
1996 honda cbr f3 (sold)



Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Depends on the suit

Then again, WTF do I know. I've never bought or sold bikes for profit before....
__________________
I CAN ONLY PLEASE ONE PERSON A DAY-
TODAY IS NOT YOUR DAY.
TOMORROW DOESNT LOOK GOOD
EITHER.

cytukyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
FKNA
Senior Member
 
FKNA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 6,707

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing








BigComfy can tell ya (as a salesman) if you're not willing to walk away, how they have you by the . He sold me a Goldwing a couple of years ago, and that time I wasn't willing to walk away. I had a very small window of opportunity to get my wife into finally start riding with me. That window of opportunity was more important to me than a bottom line on a bike. He knows good and well he would have let that Wing for for less (not sure he would admit it though)
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #20
BigComfy
Senior Member
 
BigComfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: under a rock
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 24,330

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage


Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
BigComfy can tell ya (as a salesman) if you're not willing to walk away, how they have you by the . He sold me a Goldwing a couple of years ago, and that time I wasn't willing to walk away. I had a very small window of opportunity to get my wife into finally start riding with me. That window of opportunity was more important to me than a bottom line on a bike. He knows good and well he would have let that Wing for for less (not sure he would admit it though)
I can't really comment one that... What I can say, is that you did get the deal you were looking for (from what you told me). It was a better deal than most other people got from what I saw FYI. That deal was for from lucrative for me. BTW, Today you could probably sell your wing for close to 80% of what you paid for it. IDK about you but to me that's a pretty flipping sweet deal.

How is she running these days?
__________________
"I haven't seen the crash, but I think Marc needs to be penalized for two or three seasons! Until I stop racing!"-VR46
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy