Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
mekrew
naaaaaw i sayin

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to mekrew
Question Best Method of Track Instruction ?

After this weekend of getting some more personalized instruction at the track, I had to ask myself a question...

Is video instruction along with feedback multiple times a day for novice or mid pack racers, the optimal way to get faster and fix or improve on issues?

Being able to see yourself on video and actually seeing what you are doing as opposed to someone telling your or how you "think" you look or the line you are taking. Combining this with continuous video and review you can see if you are really breaking those bad habits or going back to what you are used to.

I am sure most people who are new to the track, or who are trying to get faster get help from the outside get help in one of these ways.

1. Ask someone to follow them, get verbal feedback on what that person saw and working on those issues. Later up to the rider request follow up review

2. Having someone faster than you tow you around the track and trying to keep up to their pace and their lines

3. Get followed with video and review of the video.

right now trackday riders or racers have multiple options as far as schools and instruction, and each offers their own method.

If you could choose a preferred method of instruction what would it be and why? What do you think some of the pros and cons are of the other methods?
mekrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1 on 1 Instruction wolverine1 Taking it to the Track 13 01-07-2014 06:32 PM
New CPR Method DLite Off Topic 1 06-20-2013 01:48 PM
Track day instruction gone wrong brandontx Off Topic 10 03-27-2013 06:11 PM
Best Method gix1k General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 03-01-2007 11:44 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I like it when the instructor follows me for 2 corners, then takes off after his buddies. Then, after the session, tells me I was "lookin pretty good".

Kidding. I think video and personalized intstruction work best along with good ole fashioned seat time and trying to keep up with the guy that's a bit faster than you.

Last edited by cdill35; 09-12-2011 at 11:07 AM.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #3
tankmonkey

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
sv650s (race)
ninja 250r (race)
crf450x motard (rip)

all of the above have their uses.

following someone around at a relatively slower pace and trying to use their lines is great, especially if you can do this a few times while picking out reference points and developing a little muscle memory (which you'll probably need once the pace picks up).

I think getting a tow at a faster pace helps when you are trying to get accustomed to the "speed" sensations - sometimes getting aclimatized to the speed helps consolidate what you've already learned up to that point and builds a foundation for taking the next step.

but there may come a point where progress slows even though you are doing "exactly the same thing" the faster riders are.

that's where video feedback can prove helpful - you quickly realize that what you think you are doing and what you actually are doing can be two vastly different things, for all aspects of riding.

I also find that post-session debriefing helps a lot - as noted above, perception is almost as important as reality on track, and having someone questioning me about my perceptions and perhaps trying to reshape them somewhat seems to work well for me.
tankmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Peregrine

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

I have never been recorded but I imagine it is extremely helpful. The best thing I have experienced is following a rider better than me. I've had a chance to do it both track days towards the end of the day and it really, really helped. Not just for the line but for body position and speed/braking as well. It's like you borrow some of their confidence, I check up on turns sometimes because I'm really not sure what "too hot" is for that corner at my skill level, 2/3 of the time it is way too slow but by the time I'm back at that corner again I get unsure all over. When following someone that is not way beyond my skill level I don't worry about that, I see that they're not dragging their elbow to make the turn and I'm totally confident. Obviously I have to make the leap at some point to have that on my own but for now it is incredibly helpful.

I think the ultimate though would be a system where someone is following you, and can talk to you through a headset. "You're doing it again, get your head lower, no don't put your helmet on your tank over by your left mirror, YOUR OTHER LEFT MIRROR."

Maybe not as good an idea as I thought, might get distracting. LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Every kind of method has its use at different points in your skill development.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I think the ultimate though would be a system where someone is following you, and can talk to you through a headset. "You're doing it again, get your head lower, no don't put your helmet on your tank over by your left mirror, YOUR OTHER LEFT MIRROR."
Ive been thinking about trying this out for a while now, and I have the ability to do this.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I think bike-to-bike comm would be a major distraction. A potentially dangerous one.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I think bike-to-bike comm would be a major distraction. A potentially dangerous one.
only if used improperly....
Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Doug Pollen uses the helmet to helmet communication on his courses.

To me, the best feedback comes from someone taking video of you. There are no lies or misunderstandings there. Per instance this weekend, on the straightaway prior to the bus stop, I thought I was using the full track, when I saw my video, I noticed I wasn't even using half the track. That helped push a little more there. Likewise, in your head, you may thing you have Casey Stoner's lean angle, then you see the video and notice how big of a wuss you are
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

while I have been riding for 47 years, I am new to sport biking and track days...I have had exactly two track days... and the two were VERY different...
the first track day was a whirlwind for me.. everything was new to me...the class size was way too large.... too many students and not enough instructors... the instructors were great guys but there is simply no way one instructor can take care of more than 15 students.. so I got no personal instruction that day.. but I did get to ride the track and get the feel of the new bike...when i signed up I paid for a video session....being old an out of shape, by the time they got around to take the video I was exhausted... it was really hot in those leathers... 107 degrees and I had had it...I was considering telling them to forget it and load up and going home.. I should have... but I went out anyway... the instructor following me with the vido camera did a good job... but I sucked... I was so tired I did not know where I was on the track or what I was doing.. I was just riding looking for the X's
I really thought I was doing a good job of it...when we finished, the instructor told me I did a good job considering it was my first track day...
when the video came in a week later, I realized he was just being nice....
it looked like my was glued to my seat... my hands were taped to the bars and a rod was strapped to my back...but at least I got to see what I looked like...and I learned a lot from the video...
My second day at the track was a whole different experience... I was with Fastline and they handled things entirely different... there were only 4 students per instructor.. the class time was more personalized.. they had time to answer questions...it was great..
my instructor was Terry and I think he did great job...I did not have to go look for him.. at the end of every session.. he came to me and gave me feed back on that round... during the session he would follow me for awhile and then when he noticed anything I was doing wrong... line, braking, acceleration... he would pass me up, tap the rear of his bike telling me to follow him and he would go thru the area I was having difficulty with... he would point at the section of the track he wanted me to notice and go thru what I needed to do to correct my actions... then would motion for me to pass and we would go thru the same section again.. after the round in the pit or in the class he would talk over the situation with me...
so I guess I would say that each of the points you mentioned are a part of the total.. and I do not know if there is a best one.. but combining them would be the way to go...
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM   #11
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

I'm speaking mostly to a novice level trackday rider, even though this thread was asking about novice/mid pack racers.

Rule one is to ride with your own comfort level and limts.

I felt that being pulled around by someone faster is probably the first step in getting better/smoother/faster. You'll start to realize "hey, they entered that corner at that spot, at that time, at that speed...I'll try mimmic that and see that me and my bike can do it as well"

important note: this person has to be willing to hang back with you, so a pre-session discussion must take place. They must just BEARILY tow you along, and they must be able to safely look around and check on you many times during each lap....at no time should you feel like they are walking away from you...then they're doing it wrong.

I'll name Tim (bubby) as a good dedicated person for doing this with. It's pretty fun.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Whether with Tom at LSTD or with Alonzo, Brandon, Tony, etc at Fastline, here are the items helped me more than anything.

1. They all asked what I wanted to accomplish (we aren't all looking for racing careers).
2. They all followed me early on and gave advice through asking questions, etc. after a session.
3. They passed me and had me follow them at some point in key areas to show me what to do versus what I thought I was doing.
4. They showed me some video footage and made comments to point out differences in my perception versus reality.

None of them offered magic bullets, but each time I picked something up that helped. In the end, I hope they all contribute to me being a smoother, safer rider.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I like it when the instructor follows me for 2 corners, then takes off after his buddies. Then, after the session, tells me I was "lookin pretty good".

Kidding. I think video and personalized intstruction work best along with good ole fashioned seat time and trying to keep up with the guy that's a bit faster than you.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #14
Jredford
Rotsevnieht

Bike(s):
FZ1
R1200RT
CRF450X Tard
R6 Friggin Rocket Ship
CRMA Lic #622

Greg - good to see you asking these questions, I do too.

I have been to the race school twice with Alanzo, Brandon and Tony.
Each time I have picked up some great tips and pointers that have
increased my skills, confidence and speed.

I also watched Scott (Tankmonkey) really improve his skills and speed by
taking instruction and frankly, working very hard at improving (seat time
and focus). He has improved a lot in the last year.

That got me thinking if he can do it so can I. Like others have said
there is no silver bullet. I think determination coupled with
track time and proper instruction will work.

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just waiting." Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in 'Le Mans'
Jredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by matemike View Post

I'll name Tim (bubby) as a good dedicated person for doing this with. It's pretty fun.
Yep. Bubby towed me around for almost a full session at TWS (Texas World Speedway) since it was my first time there and it got me comfortable FAST. Too bad he doesn't ride or instruct anymore.

Sadly that is the ONLY time in 4 trackdays an instructor has said or done a single thing to try and help me.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #16
Fil

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Tuono
SV650S

I find the smaller groups help a LOT too. I've done some days with large groups and was lucky if the instructor even saw me out there past the first couple sessions when we were following them/round robin, even if I was wearing a shirt. Smaller group sizes like at the last couple days I've done were very helpful and I probably got the most out of those days so far.

Switch videoed me for a few laps and when I saw myself it was a bit of a surprise. Nothing really bad, but definitely showed me that where I THOUGHT I was was different from where I really am. It gave me the knowledge that I needed to go out and work on some specific things the next session.

One of my biggest issues is that I don't know what speeds I can get away with.
For example, I was at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and found that going into turn one at 110 was a little nerve wracking at first but not so bad after doing it a few times, but I know that the fast guys go in there at 150+. If there was someone in front of me going in at 110, 115, 120.. etc it would probably make me confident picking up more speed into that turn.
Fil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #17
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fil View Post
One of my biggest issues is that I don't know what speeds I can get away with.

For example, I was at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and found that going into turn one at 110 was a little nerve wracking at first but not so bad after doing it a few times, but I know that the fast guys go in there at 150+. If there was someone in front of me going in at 110, 115, 120.. etc it would probably make me confident picking up more speed into that turn.
This is me. We should make sure not to accidentally try following each other any time soon. haha
Old 09-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #18
blaknwite

Bike(s):
KTM SuperDuke
SV650 Track
Shuttleworth 500
Ninja 250
Aprilia SR50 DiTech

What Tojo said.
blaknwite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #19
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

I am a firm believer in video. Video does not lie.

Feedback from instructors on said video.

Oh, and seat time, seat time, seat time.
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #20
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
Whether with Tom at LSTD or with Alonzo, Brandon, Tony, etc at Fastline, here are the items helped me more than anything.

1. They all asked what I wanted to accomplish (we aren't all looking for racing careers).
2. They all followed me early on and gave advice through asking questions, etc. after a session.
3. They passed me and had me follow them at some point in key areas to show me what to do versus what I thought I was doing.
4. They showed me some video footage and made comments to point out differences in my perception versus reality.

None of them offered magic bullets, but each time I picked something up that helped. In the end, I hope they all contribute to me being a smoother, safer rider.
very good post.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote