Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
MGZT
No, I don't know KungFu

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Aprilia RSV4R
05 R1

Question For Track: Keep The bike or Trade It In Dilemma

So I picked up a track crack pipe recently and I'm hooked now.
By just observing one track day, there is a pretty big chance that my bike will hit the ground. Prob is my bike is new and hate to see it go down plus it's a liter bike. I do not have full coverage insurance but from what I heard, insurance doesn't cover track anyway.

Budget is kinda tight for another track bike now. So if you guys track junkies out there were in my shoes (novice), would you trade it in for a track bike and save the cash or just get race fairings and track it?
MGZT is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
next dilemma. i know, i know. gtdrivr Off Topic 5 03-12-2015 04:47 PM
The Dilemma Yorke Taking it to the Track 13 06-02-2012 06:14 PM
HID dilemma...HELP. pmorenoiii Performance and Modifications 10 03-27-2012 03:51 PM
job dilemma? Da9tegra Off Topic 11 01-22-2009 04:49 PM
MY NEWEST DILEMMA 1hander General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 06-25-2007 10:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
13 636

SEll it, use that cash to buy a track ready bike, and still put some cash back in your pocket!
That is, if your bike now is paid off...
There is a guy actually looking for a black rsv on here with cash in hand.. I think "Omer" is his screen name...
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #3
MGZT
No, I don't know KungFu

Bike(s):
Aprilia RSV4R
05 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreaM View Post
SEll it, use that cash to buy a track ready bike, and still put some cash back in your pocket!
There is a guy actually looking for a black rsv on here with cash in hand.. I think "Omer" is his screen name...
Thanks I'll look for him when I am ready to sell.
Hmm.. there is no chance I'll learn with liter bike? lol ...yes, the bike is paid off.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

If you chose to learn to ride on a liter bike just remember to respect the out of that throttle.

I remember your bike from GSS two weeks ago. That was you, correct?
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
tamucc2004

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

Some insurance does cover track as they look at it like a school. They just dont cover racing. If you like the 1k go for it just don't get lazy depending on the low end power out of corners. I recently went to a 1k after a few years on a R6 and I'm like the 600 better and am going back.

CMRA Novice #484
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
MGZT
No, I don't know KungFu

Bike(s):
Aprilia RSV4R
05 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post
If you chose to learn to ride on a liter bike just remember to respect the out of that throttle.

I remember your bike from GSS two weeks ago. That was you, correct?
Yes, GSS 8/28. I agree, that throttle could be a to handle and the bike was in the sports setting all day.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
MGZT
No, I don't know KungFu

Bike(s):
Aprilia RSV4R
05 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamucc2004 View Post
Some insurance does cover track as they look at it like a school. They just dont cover racing. If you like the 1k go for it just don't get lazy depending on the low end power out of corners. I recently went to a 1k after a few years on a R6 and I'm like the 600 better and am going back.
That's what I've been hearing about the R6. I wish I can just rent R6 for a day and see how it feels on the track.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

GSS is a hard track to ride on a 1k, especialy being new to the track.
You will like the 600 better, it will make you faster.
I would sell and get a cheap bike for track.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
iDreaM

Feedback Rating: (12)

Bike(s):
13 636

YoU can rent tony1k's r6 for 5500 all you want! Haha. It is a very nice bike tho!

1k would be more than enough as you are starting.. I would start with most a 600 for now.. My opinion.
iDreaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #10
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

get a track bike..
Old 09-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

I know some insurance WILL cover you for track days.
what insurance do you have and how much do you pay?

I saw you at Gss.. few of us were like WTF??? Is a new bike with paper tags and he's out here??? hahaha... we did hope for the best out of that day.

1k bike is just a little bigger and powerful. so sale it and get a 600 or keep it and put track fairings so you dont trash your when you do go down.. the good thing about crashing at the track is that for the most part its all fairings or handle bars.. mud, dirt and grass.. its not easy to anything other then fairings unless you really go down hard and bent, crack, blow your motor.. lol

I went down on a low side to high side to a flip and everything from head lighs to tail section when to .. but the fram and motor, sub fram, swing arm and radiator was not damage..
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

it does suck riding a 600 on the streets because its always on high rpms... you can find a track bike for about 2-3k and keep your 1k for streets.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGZT View Post
Hmm.. there is no chance I'll learn with liter bike?
Its possible, just more difficult. Also, the mistakes tend to bite harder. Does that make sense?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Are you wanting to stop riding the streets all together? If you can scrape $2500 together you could stumble on a decent track bike and keep your street bike. I'd make sure I was ready to give up the streets before I got rid of your street bike.

I think I would get full coverage and make sure the carrier would cover my bike if I had an accident at a MOTORCYCLE SCHOOL. If you crash it, make sure you total it. Then buy it back. Boom! Track bike. Take the change and buy a new street bike. LOL
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #15
Mayday0017

Bike(s):
2003 R6 Trackbike

Send a message via AIM to Mayday0017
Very few people who get deep into track ride streets.... if they do it is few and far between.... Just sold my R1 street becuase I put about 600miles a year street on it and even then it was just to ride with a friend who comes and visits once or twice a year, not worth it....

Trackday Registration:www.fastlinemcs.com

Motorcycles Unlimited / EBC Brake Pads www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
Mayday0017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #16
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

I had a street bike. Put 3,000 miles on it the first 4 months I owned it.

Then I bought a track bike.

Street bike sat for 5 months before I started letting friends borrow it and they put another 7,000 miles on it before I sold it.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Keep that fine bike street pristine.

Save up about 1500-2000 and buy a used track bike. Ninja 250, SV650, EX500, motard, older 600 already set up, etc. You won't be going fast enough for a while and it will allow you to focus on getting comfortable and getting good lines, braking points, etc. Take some classes for solid instruction.

You have to check the ego at the door to do this but you will build a better base to build on. It is always fun to ride a slow bike fast and I personally feel that these "lower model" bikes for track days help you feel and adjust to more inputs and feedback that you will learn to process later at faster speeds when you go to a faster bike.

After a year or so, re-evaluate where you are at. You may want to keep doing it, upgrade a bit, or go full on with the liter bike. But you will have a better base of experience to make a decision you feel better about based on that seat time.

My 0.02.

Staton
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #18
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Its possible, just more difficult. Also, the mistakes tend to bite harder. Does that make sense?
That guy Will...screen name SDW, was a perfect example of defying all odds and became a good racer even, after only a few months of hitting the track on his R1, which was his only street bike. I saw his wreck at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and his beloved street bike became strictly track after that, but he was obviously leaning that way anyways.

To the OP...I take it you still never did a TD, just observed?
I suggest to do atleast two or three TD's with your street beauty. Tape lights and all that stuff. If you are like most, you'll be tame and in the novice level and NOT push your bike or your limits to the point of wrecking.

This approach will allow you to see if the track bug sticks around for you. You'll buy leathers, bike stands, tire warmers, tires, tires, and more tires, more and more TD's etc. Then it would behoove you to either keep the liter bike for the track, buy extra plastics for it, or a trackbike if you still want to ride street.

I still ride street because my schedule seldomly allows me to attend a TD. Maybe two or three a year. 4 at best! I'd go crazy if I didn't ahve my street bike.

When I first started out, I wound up with two identical R6's after only a year of riding sport bikes. One was dedicated track. Their interchangability came in handy and ergonomic memory was a plus as well. might want to keep that in mind.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #19
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Are you wanting to stop riding the streets all together? If you can scrape $2500 together you could stumble on a decent track bike and keep your street bike. I'd make sure I was ready to give up the streets before I got rid of your street bike.

I think I would get full coverage and make sure the carrier would cover my bike if I had an accident at a MOTORCYCLE SCHOOL. If you crash it, make sure you total it. Then buy it back. Boom! Track bike. Take the change and buy a new street bike. LOL
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
omer
SMR

Bike(s):
whatever is at the shop at the time ;)
2010 r1
2009 CBR1000RR
2006 GSXR600
2008 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDreaM View Post
im looking for a BMW S1000 RR not an RSV
omer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement