Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Track tire shelf Life?

I have a set of Dunlop 211GPs (UK Version) with one TD on them.

I know that ideally they should last 4-5 TD's...

My question is however. What of the time gap between the TDs? my last TD was almost two months ago i think. should i be concerned about the tire sitting up (dry rot, etc.) until i do my Next one?


I COULD do a little street riding to keep them fresh. but i prefer to keep 500$ tires OFF the houston roads.

-B
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Tire Life Thread pinball General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 10-31-2015 08:38 PM
How much life do you think this tire has left? FowleR6 General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 09-18-2012 05:16 AM
Riding A Snow Capped Exposed Shelf Single Track Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-20-2012 03:19 AM
Race tire life span MATT L. Taking it to the Track 7 10-12-2011 10:33 AM
Track day tire life... [poser] Taking it to the Track 14 10-11-2008 05:15 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #2
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship
 
AaronP220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NW Houston: Jersey Village
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 20,446

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight









If it's got one track day on them and they were kept on warmers while at the track you'll be fine.

From what I understand, you want to keep the heat cycles down. So from the time you get to the track to the time you're done riding, if not riding the tires are on warmers. Effectively giving you one heat cycle for the day.

Letting them cool and sit for a month or so isn't really going to hurt them at all. I just keep my bike on the front and rear stands. But since it's a track bike It doesn't get ridden but once every 3-4 weeks.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP220 View Post

From what I understand, you want to keep the heat cycles down. So from the time you get to the track to the time you're done riding, if not riding the tires are on warmers. Effectively giving you one heat cycle for the day.

Letting them cool and sit for a month or so isn't really going to hurt them at all. I just keep my bike on the front and rear stands. But since it's a track bike It doesn't get ridden but once every 3-4 weeks.
i didn't use warmers when i used them at the track don't have warmers yet. the rear stand is on my bike in the garage currently and i plan on getting a front stand very soon.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
switch
two fifty
 
switch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 7,237

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+











Just gotta keep those heat cycles down. I guess don't store tires in direct sunlight. I'd ask whoopie about how best to take care of dunlops.

As an aside, I have some gpa take offs for sale. Ya know, if you wanna save your good tires
__________________
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!
 
Whoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Clear Lake
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 1,330

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000






2 months is nothing, I'd ride on them at full pace. But its best to store tires in a plastic trash bag if you know you'll be down awhile.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
BYRDMAN
WX MAN
 
BYRDMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 9,316

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker


Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
I have a set of Dunlop 211GPs (UK Version) with one TD on them.

I know that ideally they should last 4-5 TD's...

My question is however. What of the time gap between the TDs? my last TD was almost two months ago i think. should i be concerned about the tire sitting up (dry rot, etc.) until i do my Next one?


I COULD do a little street riding to keep them fresh. but i prefer to keep 500$ tires OFF the houston roads.

-B
Bryan I got some tyre sox warmers u can have....FLYINFATMAN from HPC gave them to me last year so I guess it's best to pay it foward to someone who needs them. I can't get em to u till next week though..... And yea keep those tires off these Houston streets cuz more than likely u will get a nail in them...
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS

Last edited by BYRDMAN; 09-07-2011 at 12:39 PM.
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
cdill35
717
 
cdill35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 9,587

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy







Riding on a tire aint gonna keep it fresh, brother. LOL

I use my D211 fronts off and on for sometimes 6 months. I always race on a new front then I'll put the old front back on for a month, race on a new front, put the old one back on, etc etc.

And like Allan mentioned, when I wont be riding on a tire for awhile 4+ months or so (like rain tires) I keep them in a black trash bag.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Bryan I got some tyre sox warmers u can have....FLYINFATMAN from HPC gave them to me last year so I guess it's best to pay it foward to someone who needs them. I can't get em to u till next week though..... And yea keep those tires off these Houston streets cuz more than likely u will get a nail in them...
WOO! you're the man! I'll send you a pm with my contact info!
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #9
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!
 
floyd600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri city
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 7,235

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP








Just ride them on the streets... you get to use the middle part of it. lol
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
Just ride them on the streets... you get to use the middle part of it. lol
yeah! right now the center has more tread than the sides.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!
 
floyd600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Missouri city
Feedback Rating: (8)
Posts: 7,235

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP








Quote:
Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
yeah! right now the center has more tread than the sides.
take all you can out of those tires.. look at any any track tire? what do you see?? most tires are gone on the edge and the middle looks like new.. so use it!!
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #12
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...
 
BRYAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: halfway to nowhere
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 3,256

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard







Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
take all you can out of those tires.. look at any any track tire? what do you see?? most tires are gone on the edge and the middle looks like new.. so use it!!
which reminds me, i wont be there this weekend. i have to attend Drill.
__________________
BRYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy