MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #21
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yeah, just talked to uhaul, for no mileage in town it's $100/day 100 miles, for $29/day it's 69 cents a mile. I think MSRH would be over a hundred anyway. Was worth a shot though!

Haha, my wife really might go for it if I can set it up with A/C on the top! Good ideas and I'll check the stunt forums, thanks!
Oh, you looked at TRUCKS. I was talking about renting a trailer. Their 4x7 utility trailer appears to be $15 per day. That's big enough for one bike, but small enough to be pulled by near anything.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to transport a bike? tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 01-31-2013 04:03 PM
Can you transport a bike in a U-Haul? theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 01-07-2013 10:09 PM
Bike Transport MSRH 6/3 CaffeineRacer Taking it to the Track 2 05-31-2012 02:33 PM
need help w/ bike transport from ptown to Motorcycles Unlimited dlocoracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-26-2010 11:59 AM
How To Transport Your Bike In Your Civic CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-17-2008 07:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #22
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
interesting no one mentioned the safety aspect of having a large piece of cargo riding directly behind you. If you get into an accident, are you comfortable with the idea of you being inside of a sealed compartment with your bike flying around? I know a guy who had a bike in a van and he was in an accident. He was lucky that the bike just went forward between the passenger seats and hit the dash. If it had been a more severe accident, it would have been like a boulder in a clothes dryer.

Uh.....most people are smart enough to still strap the bike down in the van.

Or I'd hope, anyway.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #23
Luke

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'02 VFR 800
'03 KLX 400 Tard

I've driven a van for years and have hauled everything from a z50 to a Rocket III. I carried a wide ramp and never had a problem loading. I also camped in it while mountain biking, racing, or traveling across the country.

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9:30-6 Sat. 9-6
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #24
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

As a second vehicle, I'll be buying a van instead of a truck in the near future.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #25
Peregrine

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCommuter View Post
interesting no one mentioned the safety aspect of having a large piece of cargo riding directly behind you.
Not that you don't have a point but considering we are engaged in a lifestyle where having slight bump from a car means almost guaranteed injury and possible death it seems a little odd to be worried about a bike hitting you in a van six or ten rides a year.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #26
TheRising
Banned

User is banned

TheRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:12 PM   #27
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I've driven a van for years and have hauled everything from a z50 to a Rocket III. I carried a wide ramp and never had a problem loading. I also camped in it while mountain biking, racing, or traveling across the country.
Was the gas/oil smell a factor? Like, if your girlfriend/wife (I only have a wife!) were in the van after your fifth track weekend in a row would it be noticeable?
Old 09-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #28
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRising View Post
There is no better track hauler than a cargo van. Any gas smell can be reduced to zero with some cheap sheet metal and some insulation from the rear of the van if it's really that big of an issue. Or you could open the windows.
See, I don't mind the smell as long as it's not permanent. I can roll the windows down no problem, it's going camping the next weekend and it still smells, that's the impression I got from earlier posts. I guess that might not be the case sense there is no fabric for the smell to cling to.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #29
TheRising
Banned

User is banned

Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM   #30
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Truck with a ramp. Quit messing around
Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #31
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
The smell isn't permanent in any sense of the word. As soon as my bike is out of the van, the smell is gone. If I spent some time cleaning the interior it would smell brand new and it's 8 years old already. There's nothing in there for a smell like gas to cling to, like you said. Even the seats in those vans won't hold "gas" smell in. And they're a breeze to clean...open up the side door, fire some water in there and maybe some soap and rinse out. Boom.

Well, I think that settles it for me. Thank you sir, and everyone else for this really good discussion.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #32
7cain
Resident Ginja

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R

Member Garage

I used to have an E250 that I used to haul my bike around in. Not too difficult but strapping down might be an issue in the minivan. Mine was a cargo van with three rows of bench seats (2 removed to fit the bike) and I used the seat mounts to strap the bike down. I would prefer that over a truck as you can lock it and keep it out of the elements. I could still carry 5 passengers WITH the bike loaded.
FELIS DEMULCTA MITIS (translation: A stroked cat is gentle)
7cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #33
TheRising
Banned

User is banned

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #34
7cain
Resident Ginja

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R

Member Garage

BTW, my van smelled anyway. it was an '87 with a modified 351 Windsor. All I really used it for was hauling the bike, camping (pulling the camper), and collecting fire wood.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #35
7cain
Resident Ginja

Bike(s):
'02 ZX6R

Member Garage

Quote:
You have any pics of that?

I have an E250 but mine is a cargo and not a passenger...having rear seats would be pretty awesome...
I'll have to post them when I get home but yes (just not with the bike loaded). The thing sounded like a top fuel dragster with headers glass pack mufflers and no cat Sold it when I moved back to the city, it wouldn't have passed inspection anyway.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #36
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #37
cbrfxr67

Bike(s):
77 kz1000 project
sold everything else,...

I pack my bikes in my Astrovan when I need to. Also great for going to pick up busted parts bikes or project bikes.
cbrfxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM   #38
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
there is nothing a truck can do as it pertains to track bike hauling that a van can't do better.

I disagree. Loading/unloading bikes from a truck is easier because you can stand up. Minor, but still something.

CMRA #302
Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #39
TheRising
Banned

User is banned

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #40
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper View Post
I would buy a trailer if I were you. 500lb for the bike + another 300lb for whatever gear + 1,000lb for the weight of the trailer = 1,800lb ~ 2,000lb which most 150HP+ engines can tow but its the transmission that takes the hit...
Get a trailer and a hitch. Here's more info: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...city-chart.htm
My dual bike trailer weighs 400lbs.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement