MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Peregrine

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Van instead of Pickup for bike transport?

Because of my current issues getting to track days I am looking to buy a truck next month. The thing is though, I also rock climb/hike and for that a van would be ideal. Does anyone have any experience transporting a motorcycle in a van? Does anyone know if it is possible?

If it would work my wife has tentatively agreed to get a "person snatcher" as she calls cargo vans but would rather get a mini-van and remove the seats but I don't think that would allow for easy loading/unloading of a bike.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best way to transport a bike? tunaluna General Discussion (Moto Related) 29 01-31-2013 04:03 PM
Can you transport a bike in a U-Haul? theManofRussia General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 01-07-2013 10:09 PM
Bike Transport MSRH 6/3 CaffeineRacer Taking it to the Track 2 05-31-2012 02:33 PM
need help w/ bike transport from ptown to Motorcycles Unlimited dlocoracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 12-26-2010 11:59 AM
How To Transport Your Bike In Your Civic CubanGIXXER General Discussion (Moto Related) 17 05-17-2008 07:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Falkryte has a rapist van that she hauls bikes in all the time.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

There was an Asian guy who had his track bike in a beat up dodge caravan with the seats removed. It was a lil tricky trying to get it out as I helped him once but it can be done...

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squoddybody View Post
I've actually seen 2 bikes in the back of that thing at times. Its doable, but your van will invariably smell like gas and burnt oil so its not necessarily ideal.

A truck and a cheap utility trailer or........put a hitch on your current vehicle....is a better option.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

I'd go with a hitch. Bikes are so light and houston is so flat that you should have no trouble.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Thanks! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
There was an Asian guy who had his track bike in a beat up dodge caravan with the seats removed. It was a lil tricky trying to get it out as I helped him once but it can be done...
Hmm, yeah I don't want it to be a chore and then drop it tired at the end of a track day so maybe the rapist van is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I've actually seen 2 bikes in the back of that thing at times. Its doable, but your van will invariably smell like gas and burnt oil so its not necessarily ideal.

A truck and a cheap utility trailer or........put a hitch on your current vehicle....is a better option.
Good point on the gas/oil smell, that sort of negates the good for camping/hiking. I live in an apartment and can't afford a large storage space for a trailer. I guess I could find someone who would rent me space at their house or something, or shared use. Something to think about.

What is the minimum hp needed to tow a bike? A six cylinder would be fine wouldn't it?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

Quote:

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Quote:
Yep. It's what I use.

She pimps my Caddy...I get to flawce in the RaperVan.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Thanks! lol

Hmm, yeah I don't want it to be a chore and then drop it tired at the end of a track day so maybe the rapist van is the way to go.

Good point on the gas/oil smell, that sort of negates the good for camping/hiking. I live in an apartment and can't afford a large storage space for a trailer. I guess I could find someone who would rent me space at their house or something, or shared use. Something to think about.

What is the minimum hp needed to tow a bike? A six cylinder would be fine wouldn't it?
If the trailer is light a small 4cyl car would do the job too. My colorado is a 4 banger and it towes my full size trailer with 3 bikes and gear on it with minimal issues.

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
jimrad
Moderate pace forever .

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 7

I was thinking of buying a van too...maybe a chevy express van...But, the gas smell would get to me after a few miles..

If you can make a colapsable partition to seperate the bike from the front seats, block of the rear vents and keep the rear windows cracked to vent the smell......Parked trailer with visible motorcycles just seems like an open invitation to thieves...

Enclosed trailer..maybe..
jimrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
AaronP220
Sir Ballmanship

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2011 Fleshlight

Surprisingly the gas smell really isn't that bad.

I mean, it's there..but not as bad as you'd think.
AaronP220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

I would buy a trailer if I were you. 500lb for the bike + another 300lb for whatever gear + 1,000lb for the weight of the trailer = 1,800lb ~ 2,000lb which most 150HP+ engines can tow but its the transmission that takes the hit...
Get a trailer and a hitch. Here's more info: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...city-chart.htm

Last edited by Stromtrooper; 09-07-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

My step-brother raced flat track for years and now his 6 year old son does. He always uses his van and not his truck to haul bikes, parts, fuel, and gear to the track

0731 NY SDR B CamRafferty42B vs ShawnClark52B

Last edited by Bevo; 09-07-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #14
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Yes, the trailer is the better option, however I have no where to put a trailer and the expense of storage is prohibitive.

I think a truck is the answer, even a faint gas smell kills the deal for me and even if I would put up with it, the wife would veto.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I live in an apartment and can't afford a large storage space for a trailer. I guess I could find someone who would rent me space at their house or something, or shared use. Something to think about.

Uhual rents their little bike haulers for, I think, $20 a day. If you're not doing trackdays that frequently you could just rent when necessary.

A 6 cylinder car should be fine. I've seen both a mini and a 350z towing 1 bike on a trailer before.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Uhual rents their little bike haulers for, I think, $20 a day. If you're not doing trackdays that frequently you could just rent when necessary.

A 6 cylinder car should be fine. I've seen both a mini and a 350z towing 1 bike on a trailer before.
Uhaul charges like 30+ cents a mile which would get spendy quick for going to these tracks.

edit: Sorry, misread and didn't see it was for a trailer. That would be a good deal.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Uhaul charges like 30+ cents a mile which would get spendy quick for going to these tracks.

edit: Sorry, misread and didn't see it was for a trailer. That would be a good deal.

That 30+ cents a mile only applies to one way trips. In town its a flat day rate.

CMRA #302
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
That 30+ cents a mile only applies to one way trips. In town its a flat day rate.
I'm going to check that now, if that's the case then I'll just rent a truck at least for the rest of the track season.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #19
tamucc2004

Bike(s):
06 636, 06 DRZ400SM, 03 YZ 450 Motard, 07 Kawi Mean Streak, 08 Honda 50

If you look on some of the stunt forums there is quite a few Vans set up. If you are really worried about the smell put down a rubber mat that can be taken out. And if you just have metal sides/roof it really wont be that bad. Plus its easy to put a AC unit on top and be able to sleep in it at night and save on hotel rooms.
tamucc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #20
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Yeah, just talked to uhaul, for no mileage in town it's $100/day 100 miles, for $29/day it's 69 cents a mile. I think MSRH would be over a hundred anyway. Was worth a shot though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamucc2004 View Post
If you look on some of the stunt forums there is quite a few Vans set up. If you are really worried about the smell put down a rubber mat that can be taken out. And if you just have metal sides/roof it really wont be that bad. Plus its easy to put a AC unit on top and be able to sleep in it at night and save on hotel rooms.
Haha, my wife really might go for it if I can set it up with A/C on the top! Good ideas and I'll check the stunt forums, thanks!

Advertisement