MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Nappy

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
06 CBR1000 RR blue&yellow

Inside apartment > a thief jacking it out of the parking lot
Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parking inside an apartment is a fire hazard Versatile337 Fresnel Phan Attorney At Law 59 06-03-2011 02:36 PM
Apartment help inside the loop chasee69 Off Topic 18 06-17-2009 07:04 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #22
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy View Post
inside apartment or possible fines and possible eviction....

Which would you prefer...

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #23
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Every apartment I ever had mentioned not storing a bike indoors (maybe not exact wordings, usually no flammables to be stored indoors, etc.) You should read the fineprint in your lease papers (the 16 pages you probably initialed, but never read).
I agree, but it can be skewed, how many flammables are under the average kitchen counter, or bathroom sink?

, if you really think about it, everything inside the place is flammable,
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #24
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

If you can't get a garage, or a storage unit, get a downstairs unit with a patio that you can access from the exterior, if it's gated it's a plus. Park your bike on the patio.

Run a couple of lag bolts inot the concrete, and use a cycle cover pod thing, and chain it down.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #25
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatram View Post
Everyone is spouting about safety, and fires and blah blah blah, but really the fuel in your tank is no more dangerous that the gas from the stove, or hot water heater.

How many homes have attached garages?
Most bikes have a more or less 4 gal tank.
Ever seen that much gas go up at once? The flammables in an apartment burn a little slower than that and the natural gas is low pressure and there are safety precautions built in to products that use it.
If the apartment caught fire, 4 gals of gas would be a dramatic change in a fireman's day.
On the other hand I used to park mine inside an apartment, I just took the gamble.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 PM   #26
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Most bikes have a more or less 4 gal tank.
Ever seen that much gas go up at once? The flammables in an apartment burn a little slower than that and the natural gas is low pressure and there are safety precautions built in to products that use it.
If the apartment caught fire, 4 gals of gas would be a dramatic change in a fireman's day.
On the other hand I used to park mine inside an apartment, I just took the gamble.
I have seen the after affects of an older hot water heater's pilot light get blown out and a house fill will gasin a matter of hours, the phone rang, and blew the house completely off the foundation. How is this any different?

Also, the gasoline in the tank will not explode like everyone believes, it will burn only at the exit point, ie, at the outlet on the tank, the flame cannot get enough oxygen to burn back into the tank. If it gets hot enough, t it match catch fire in the tank, but it will spew only the vapors as a flame becasue there is not enough oxygen inside the tank for it to ignite completely. I have a seen a lit cigarette thrown into a 5 gallon bucket of gas, and the cigarette was extinguished. The vapor is the most dangerous part of the fuel.

Now if you have the gas cap off, that's another story.

Last edited by anatram; 09-06-2011 at 01:54 PM.
anatram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #27
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatram View Post
I have seen the after affects of an older hot water heater's pilot light get blown out and a house fill will gasin a matter of hours, the phone rang, and blew the house completely off the foundation. How is this any different?

Also, the gasoline in the tank will not explode like everyone believes, it will burn only at the exit point, ie, at the outlet on the tank, the flame cannot get enough oxygen to burn back into the tank. If it gets hot enough, t it match catch fire in the tank, but it will spew only the vapors as a flame becasue there is not enough oxygen inside the tank for it to ignite completely. I have a seen a lit cigarette thrown into a 5 gallon bucket of gas, and the cigarette was extinguished. The vapor is the most dangerous part of the fuel.

Now if you have the gas cap off, that's another story.
Yep all of what you say is true but water heater explosions are pretty rare because there is a safety mechanism in place.
The pilot light is heating a thermocouple, when the pilot light goes out the thermocouple gets cold and shuts off the flow of gas. If that actually happened then there was either something wrong with the water heater or it was so old it should have been replaced.
And yes the vapors are the dangerous part of gasoline but that tank will only hold fuel, once it catches fire, for a little while. When it ruptures the remaining gas will gush out and things will go downhill quickly. I'll tell you a cool story sometime. It involves a campfire, a gallon of Coleman fuel and waay too much alcohol (in our bellies).
That's why the Fire Marshall's office has made it illegal to park motorcycles inside an apartment. You wouldn't want the guy in the apartment next to you keeping a 5 gallon container of gasoline in his living room.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 09-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
ciao_strada

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
CBR600F4i '04

hmm, whether its a fire hazard or not, you know gasoline is carcinogenic right? Theres also all sorts of byproducts from incomplete combustion leftover in your exhaust once you turn off your engine. Non-synthetic motor oil also has carcinogens. I wouldnt want to keep breathing that stuff in my own home. Just saying.
ciao_strada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #29
bumblebee

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciao_strada View Post
hmm, whether its a fire hazard or not, you know gasoline is carcinogenic right? Theres also all sorts of byproducts from incomplete combustion leftover in your exhaust once you turn off your engine. Non-synthetic motor oil also has carcinogens. I wouldnt want to keep breathing that stuff in my own home. Just saying.
Good point. Gas tanks are vented and there will always be some fumes coming out of the tank...
On the other hand, it's the State of California that says gas is a carcinogen, and who cares what "they" say
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #30
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hern5972 View Post
Thank Helios for finding that thread.....

Pay for a garage...
I'm the OP of that thread and have finished my 2 years without removing my bike. them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
reading the older thread I saw a good idea...
Take the gas tank off and put it in the trunk of your car. Then there's no gasoline in the apartment and no more fire hazard.

Of course this means you will almost never ride anymore because it's too much hassle. I have a friend that started keeping his bike in his living room.
Seemed like a great idea and the bike is like brand new. The downside is he doesn't ride anymore because it's a hassle getting in and out. Plus he likes to wait for it to cool off before bringing it in, so it's a PIA all the way around.
Find a friend with a garage or pony up and get your own, it's the only way...
in my particular case, they argued that even if the tank was drained, I was still illegally parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanRJ View Post
A cycle shell or similar is an option if the parking area has something solid to chain it to and they're cheap compared to garage or storage rent. Just get it in writing from the property manager that you can keep it on the property or else you might run into the situation I did at the last apartment where some complained that I was taking up an "extra" parking space and the manager pulled out a one line clause in the lease agreeement about prohibiting vehicle covers even though the same person a year earlier gave verbal agreement that I could use the shell. As stated earlier parking it in your living room will earn you an eviction notice from the landlord.
People all the time for no reason. Bunch of miserable . Wish all the miserable would all live in their own neighborhood and leave people with social skills and logic alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy View Post
YES. No Stolen bike thread for me. Feel sorry for the guy that lost his 08 CBR in the same complex as me but that's what happens.
Versatile337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement