MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
lucydad

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Cool advice buying new bike: local dealers?

All,

I am patiently looking, trying and considering a new bike. My timetable is my own, but likely either later this fall or next spring. My goal is a bike with ABS, modern technology, and one I will be happy with a long time: mainly a sport bike to swan about Ft. Bend county and occasionally into the city, or to the coast.

To share an experience last weekend at a local big dealer on the SW Freeway that just moved across the street is interesting. I told the sales guy my interest, he got one put together and onto the floor. He started calling me...several times. So, after my Saturday morning ride, and lunch I dropped in driving my car in the heat. The temperature was 106F and first question: why did you not ride in so we can appraise your trade? Pressure tactic number one.

I finally sat on the red Duc, asked to see the instruments lit up, he disappears for a long time to get a key. Then, he rides onto the floor a brand new, red model of the bike I am considering. Ok, great I think. NOPE: SLAM...buy this one, right now, that we got this morning, or the owner is taking it for his son. Well, frankly, I considered it, but $8K impulse buys just are not in my venue at age 57. Also, I surprised my wife when I bought my first starter bike: not again.

I decided: ok, let's run the numbers: cash out deal, consider the trade: would they give me a few days to think it over? NOPE: SLAM, either now, or never. Would they let me put a $500 deposit down, and if I decide in a few days this is not the bike, can I apply it to another bike? Nope! So, I said thanks but no thanks and the dealership owner rolled it back. I did sit on the 1100 evo version of the bike, and that might be the one I eventually choose.

But, what got me: the extreme sales pressure, and tactics. I tend to be considerate and expect the best from people, including sales people. Thinking about the situation for a week: I do wonder if it was just the sales rush game? Anyway, does anyone know of a Ducati dealer in Houston that might be a bit more professional? Or is this dealer being honest with me, or playing games? Once they lose my confidence, we are finished.

Patiently looking,
Lucydad
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a bike on saturday, ADVICE REQUESTED GrandmasBoy General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 02-23-2015 09:31 AM
Buying bike w/ no Title..advice? CDN_bacon General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 08-23-2012 02:20 AM
Need Bike Buying advice BRYAN General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 10-22-2010 09:59 PM
Buying 110cc Stunt bike. Need Advice Mr.D Stunters Lounge 95 06-28-2010 08:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
HMFIC

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Super Duke R
08 YZ450F
Santa Cruz Blur 4x
09 YZ250F

Id say look elsewhere. You should be totally confident and satisfied with the purchase experience.

Ive never bought a Duc, but I have heard positive things about Lundsfords on the North fwy....
Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
3xv

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

My advice would be to do a LOT of research about the bike(s) you are interested in. Educate yourself with the specs, actual market price that people are paying for the bike, cost of ownership, insurance rates etc..

Narrow down your choices and start shopping around local dealers for the best OTD price (give them the oppurtunity to earn your business first). If local dealers can't give you good service and have for salespeople, shop online and get your new bike out of state. Just factor-in the cost of freight to get the bike to you, and taxes you will have to pay to register your bike.

Good luck. and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
3xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
BLAKE81

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2017 KTM 450 SX-F
2012 KTM 350 SX-F

CHECK OUT TEJAS IN THE HIGHLANDS THEY SEEM TO BE A LITTLE CHEAPER THAN EVERYONE ELSE
I JUST BOUGHT A 2011 GSXR 1000 FOR 10,900$
BLAKE81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #5
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMFIC View Post
Id say look elsewhere. You should be totally confident and satisfied with the purchase experience.

Ive never bought a Duc, but I have heard positive things about Lundsfords on the North fwy....

+1

Hopefully they have the model you're looking for.
Most the guys I've dealt with there are straight up honest people that ride just like you and me.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
1deadrider

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
07 Z1000

If you are looking at a duc that is used watch out for the maintance. The valve train is not like other motors. The newer models are better but it is something to consider.
1deadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

buy the bike on your terms. When I bought my BMW, I knew it was a huge cost and that there wasn't much wiggle room, yet I found some! Thats the deal you have to figure out.

I bought on my terms and on my time and if anyone ever says to me "it will be gone tomorrow" I always say "this is the last one they will ever make?" with my really confused face.

Then I say before they can respond, oh wait, that can't be true because your competitor has one as well that hes trying to sell me!

Then you find wiggle room, lots of it. Maybe not in the cost of the bike (but in gear, etc). Yet I did find wiggle room in my bike, yet I also thought it was affordable seeing when it first came out it was $23k.

So have fun knowing you have the upper hand. Although Gulf Coast BMW Service has sucked for me, I definietly liked the sales team!
Old 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #8
Colonel
Big Blu

Bike(s):
BMW s1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
buy the bike on your terms. When I bought my BMW, I knew it was a huge cost and that there wasn't much wiggle room, yet I found some! Thats the deal you have to figure out.

I bought on my terms and on my time and if anyone ever says to me "it will be gone tomorrow" I always say "this is the last one they will ever make?" with my really confused face.

Then I say before they can respond, oh wait, that can't be true because your competitor has one as well that hes trying to sell me!

Then you find wiggle room, lots of it. Maybe not in the cost of the bike (but in gear, etc). Yet I did find wiggle room in my bike, yet I also thought it was affordable seeing when it first came out it was $23k.

So have fun knowing you have the upper hand. Although Gulf Coast BMW Service has sucked for me, I definietly liked the sales team!
or take me with you, hahahahahah! I'll give em a beating!
Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

Colonel,

Actually I have yet to seriously consider the BMW line. My buddy Ed has a RS1200 and loves it. And, I own a BMW 330i, and love it. Taking my time will happen. There is an old saying: "he who has the money, makes the rules". I might check out the other Duc dealer. Thanks all...
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

From my experience, dealers only take deposits for new bikes that are supposed to come out in the US market.... i put a deposit when i ordered my 1098 3 months before they shipped the bike, but for a used bike i do not see a reason to hold a bike for a week to see if you change your mind, it is a business after all, if you dont buy it then somene else will eventually. You can also try Houston Superbikes, they also have a few ducs in their showroom floors just dont expect them to hold the bike for you until you can make up your mind.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #11
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I went to the same dealer you are talking about when I was considering a new 848EVO...got some of the same type treatment... high pressure buy it now....
I checked with Lunsford and got both places to price the bike out.... same bike, with the same extra goodies and Lunsford was $1000 cheaper.. the bike was the same price but the SW FWY guys had rediculous shipping and assembly fees...
as it turns out I decided on a cbr600rr in the end, it had everything I really needed and was much cheaper..still like the 848 but it was just not worth the difference in price to me...
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

It is a bit of a trip, but Ducati San Antonio is pretty laid back. They also stock moto-guzzis, which might interest a potential Duc owner.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #13
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

wow , I got my bike off the showroom floor for a $100.00 deposit.
The deposit held it for me for thirty days.
I don't own a Duc , but it sure seems the salesman was applying presure tatics.
Sometimes , it is not the shop ,but just a poor salesman .

Advertisement