MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Texas OHV Stickers - Price Increase!

The price on the OHV stickers went up from $8 to $16. The great people from the TPWD called me up to collect my credit card information for the 2012 stickers. If you don't have one, you can fax your order in to them or find them at your local dealer (that carries them).

I hope this price increase doesn't scare my riding buddies out of the woods!

Where to buy?
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/buy.phtml

Some info about the price jump:
Quote:
RULES REQUIRED OR AUTHORIZED BY LEGISLATION

HOUSE BILL 1 (GENERAL APPROPRIATIONS ACT)

OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE DECAL FEE

PROPOSAL PREAMBLE

1. Introduction.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department proposes an amendment to 53.17, concerning Miscellaneous Fees. The proposed amendment would increase the Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) decal fee from $8 to $16.

Parks and Wildlife Code, Section 29.003, requires that an OHV decal be obtained and placed on an OHV being operated on “public land over which the department has authority, on land purchased or leased by the department, on other public land, or on land purchased or developed under a grant made under Section 29.008 or any other grant program operated or administered by the department on which off-highway vehicle recreation is legal.” Parks and Wildlife Code, Section 29.003 establishes a fee for the OHV decal of $8 or an amount set by the Parks and Wildlife Commission.

Under the provisions of House Bill 1 (General Appropriations Act), Article VI, Parks and Wildlife Department, Rider 36, enacted by the 82nd Texas Legislature, Regular Session (2011), the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department is appropriated all receipts collected from increasing the OHV decal fee from $8 to $16, pursuant to Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 29, for the purpose of implementing and administering the program. The department has determined that it is necessary to increase the fee for the OHV decal in order to continue operation of the OHV program. If the fee is not increased, the department would be forced to suspend the OHV program for the 2012-2013 biennium, as there are no funds appropriated for it other than as a consequence of the proposed fee increase. The revenue from the OHV decal fee is used to establish and maintain a public system of trails and other recreational area for use by owners and riders of off-highway vehicles.

2. Fiscal Note.

Mr. Andy Goldbloom, Recreational Trails Program Manager, has determined that for each of the first five years that the rule as proposed is in effect, there will be fiscal implications to state government as a result of enforcing or administering the rule. The department estimates that the increased fee for the OHV decal will generate additional revenue of a minimum of $175,362 per fiscal year, which is based on the anticipated sale of an additional 21,920 OHV decals per year at $16 per decal. Between 2005 and 2010, sales of OHV decals have risen from fewer than 2,000 to more than 21,000, and the department estimates, based on those trends, that OHV decal sales will continue to increase at a minimum of 1.5% per year.

There will be no fiscal implications to other units of state or local government as a result of enforcing or administering the rule as proposed.

3. Public Benefit/Cost Note.

Mr. Goldbloom also has determined that for each of the first five years the rule as proposed is in effect:

(A) The public benefit anticipated as a result of enforcing or administering the rule as proposed will be enhanced funding for the creation and maintenance of trail systems enjoyed by the public.

(B) There will be an adverse economic effect on persons required to comply with the rule as proposed, namely, an increase of $8 per person in the cost of obtaining an OHV decal.

(C) Under the provisions of Government Code, Chapter 2006, a state agency must prepare an economic impact statement and a regulatory flexibility analysis for a rule that may have an adverse economic effect on small businesses and micro-businesses. As required by Government Code, 2006.002(g), the Office of the Attorney General has prepared guidelines to assist state agencies in determining a proposed rule’s potential adverse economic impact on small businesses. Those guidelines state that an agency need only consider a proposed rule’s “direct adverse economic impacts” to small businesses and micro-businesses to determine if any further analysis is required. For that purpose, the department considers “direct economic impact” to mean a requirement that would directly impose recordkeeping or reporting requirements; impose taxes or fees; result in lost sales or profits; adversely affect market competition; or require the purchase or modification of equipment or services. The department has determined that the proposed rules will not impose negative economic impacts on small businesses or microbusinesses. Accordingly, the department has not prepared a regulatory flexibility analysis under Government Code, Chapter 2006.

(D) The department has not drafted a local employment impact statement under the Administrative Procedures Act, 2001.022, as the agency has determined that the rule as proposed will not impact local economies.

(E) The department has determined that there will not be a taking of private real property, as defined by Government Code, Chapter 2007, as a result of the proposed rule.

4. Request for Public Comment.

Comments on the proposed rule may be submitted to Andy Goldbloom, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, Texas, 78744; (512) 389-8128 (e-mail: andy.goldbloom@tpwd.state.tx.us).

5. Statutory Authority.

The amendment is proposed under the authority of Parks and Wildlife Code, 29.003(b), which authorizes the commission to establish a fee for an off-highway vehicle decal

The proposed amendment affects Parks and Wildlife Code, Chapter 29.

53.17. Miscellaneous Fees.

(a) Off-highway vehicle decal — $16[$8];

(b) (No change.)

This agency hereby certifies that the proposal has been reviewed by legal counsel and found to be within the agency’s authority to adopt.

Issued in Austin, Texas, on

Last edited by hotnanas; 09-01-2011 at 02:47 PM.
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Price Increase as of Sept. 1 Challen Awesome Cycles MSF Riding Courses 11 08-29-2013 08:37 AM
OHV Sticker on Sunday CDN_bacon Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 06-12-2011 09:51 AM
Pazzo price increase maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 04-03-2008 05:16 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
spartandude
Custom User Title

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
750 honda shadow spirit

Member Garage

Sigh, I wish I had a bike that could handle that stuff SHNF looks like a lot of fun. Maybe tax return time.
spartandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
$8 is the deal breaker....Never going to the SHNF again!!!!!!!!!!!
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
TxSandman
My backpacks got jets

Bike(s):
05 Buell XB12R, 07 KLR650

$16 dollar OHV sticker + $25 multi use trail pass = best bargan in motorsports.
TxSandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

absolutely!

i actually wanted to tell the lady that I would gladly pay more than $16....if only I could buy the trail pass online. I think that during September, the ranger hut is open on Saturday.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
green88notch

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2009 KTM 300 XC

Send a message via AIM to green88notch
I called around to all the local shops and nobody has them in stock yet. They all said late this week or early next.

Chris
Old 09-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
cbr_corbin
RED RIDER

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
05 CRF450X 05 CRF450R 08 CRF250X 08 CRF250R
09 CBR1000RR 03 CBR600RR
99 CBR1100XX 99 CBR900RR
05 CRF50 99 Z50
96 CBR600F3 95 CBR600F3

Member Garage

So the only place you can ride with this sticker in this area is the Sam Houston National Forest?
cbr_corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
dhdrider

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr_corbin View Post
So the only place you can ride with this sticker in this area is the Sam Houston National Forest?
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/ride.phtml

The only ones "worth" riding are SHNF, Barnwell Mtn, and Emma Long City PArk in Austin (if you're local to Austin).

2008 KTM 200 XC

Klim Technical Riding Gear
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages
Retail Resource Group
Primus Real Estate Services
TORCS #301
TSCEC #1114
dhdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr_corbin View Post
any national forest in Texas that permits trail riding...but close to Houston, yes SHNF....what more do you want? There's like 75+ miles of trail in Huntsville....and it's only $16 for the permit. That's less than one day trip to a MX track.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM   #10
cbr_corbin
RED RIDER

Bike(s):
09 CBR1000RR 03 CBR600RR
99 CBR1100XX 99 CBR900RR
05 CRF50 99 Z50
96 CBR600F3 95 CBR600F3

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/ohv/ride.phtml

The only ones "worth" riding are SHNF, Barnwell Mtn, and Emma Long City PArk in Austin (if you're local to Austin).
I saw the link, and I am in the Houston area.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
cbr_corbin
RED RIDER

Bike(s):
09 CBR1000RR 03 CBR600RR
99 CBR1100XX 99 CBR900RR
05 CRF50 99 Z50
96 CBR600F3 95 CBR600F3

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
any national forest in Texas that permits trail riding...but close to Houston, yes SHNF....what more do you want? There's like 75+ miles of trail in Huntsville....and it's only $16 for the permit. That's less than one day trip to a MX track.
I didn't know there were so many trails over there. Is this for dirt bikes? I saw in the post it mentioned street legal vehicles.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #12
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

This is for dirtbikes or street legal dirtbikes. The OHV sticker allows a dirtbike to ride the marked trails in the SHNF as well as other trails in Texas maintained by the OHV/TPWD system. I think a street legal and plated dirtbike would still require the OHV sticker on the OHV trails, but I could be wrong on that.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Looks like I can go riding this weekend.

Dbuck, this key is for you.

2012OHV 1
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Does it have to be a dirtbike?
I was thinking of taking my gixxer up there. It's stretched and lowered with a chrome swingarm, polished frame and a TON of LED's.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #15
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnanas View Post
Dbuck, this key is for you.

2012OHV 1
SWEET, I'll meet up with ya after work today/tomorrow if it's convenient for you.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
Does it have to be a dirtbike?
I was thinking of taking my gixxer up there. It's stretched and lowered with a chrome swingarm, polished frame and a TON of LED's.
sounds like a hoot! i'll bring the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
SWEET, I'll meet up with ya after work today/tomorrow if it's convenient for you.
cool. let me know when. I should be near my house at 615-630 tonight. I should be home earlier tomorrow. If you want, I can leave it somewhere at the house and you can get it at your own leisure.

Advertisement