MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #41
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
Let me start by saying that we are a group of close friends, we all have busy careers and dont have too much time to get together during weekdays so we use our Sundays to do so, we meet for breakfast where we all sit on the table and talk for a while, then cruise for a bit, then stop for a few drinks/chat and ride some more and then take another break where we talk about anything but mostly about bikes and new stuff happening in our lives, it is very obvious that nobody talks when wearing helmets over our heads so thats why we stop a few times to do so in between the riding part.
So why not do all of this at a track? You'll get more "hanging out" time, get to ride harder, and get fewer tickets.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who got a ticket out on brookshire curves? M@tt General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 08-11-2013 07:02 PM
racers road nwall1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 09-26-2012 06:18 PM
racers road nwall1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 08-19-2012 07:00 PM
racers road 188ondafreeway Events, Meets and Rides 12 03-13-2011 07:59 PM
RACERS ROAD ALEXD General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-10-2009 07:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #42
Rael
Communist Plant

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post

Also, I don't get the social aspect of riding. You're on a bike, by yourelf, in a helmet, with so much outside noise you can barely hear YOURSELF speak, and you should even be wearing ear plugs. Sounds like there's lots of good conversation taking place. Take it from someone who has social anxiety: being in the same general vaccinity as others doesn't make you social.....it makes you in the general vacinity of others.

Now you MIGHT hang out with the guys you just rode with either before or after...and that's social. the riding, however, is not.

You're defining social a bit too narrowly. Most people consider being in the general vicinity of others to be social. Rock concerts are social, UFC fights are social, movies are social, anytime you experience something as part of a group you are being social. Talking isn't even a necessary part of being social, and certainly isn't sufficient. A long ride preceded by a shared anticipatory breakfast and concluded with saddle sore commiseration over a late lunch is definitely social. You may not know as much about the other riders' weeks as you would after a track day, but that is a difference in content not type.

Enough of that! More SMR discussion, please.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #43
sunday_rider

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd600 View Post
I really like going out riding with friends that I know.. The social part is spending time with them..

How does it feel riding by your self on the road?? how?? do you like it just as much as you do if you were to ride with a very close friend?? I dont think so!

why do people put M&G together to go to places?? Yankees or wednesday night?? why?? you dont ride each others bikes.. so whats the point???
is the Social part IMO.

People meet! Ride together and have a good time just by putting a helmet on! I know I do..

so whats so different at the track?? its just the riding part that its different, we are not taking it easy as much as you would riding on the streets. its not like you're just cruising in the middle of the track? you're always trying to work on your skills of riding.. BP, Braking points.. exit... etc...
Do you seat back and chill?? you always have to go the class room right off the track.. you keep moving all day long. Its an EVENT.

Once again.. a reason of why I will not quit riding streets.. spending time with close friends and going out riding its whats all about.

Track.. streets... its what we do that makes us who we are!
i couldnt agree with you more! Our SMR is not just about riding but more about getting together to share the same passion we have for motorcycles, it doesnt matter if it is on the street or at the track the only difference is that some can dedicate a full day at the track and some have other activities after the morning ride on Sundays so it is a lot feasible for us to ride the streets than getting everyone to do a track day!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #44
Versatile337
They call me V or Franco

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 GSX-R 750 (Blk/Matte Blk)

Member Garage

I'm hardly ever off on weekends and I don't make a shitload of money. Track is great and I'll try to make it as often as I can but for 's sake can we get any road that we can lean on a little
Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #45
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

here we go again.

in before "track angels vs street riders".
Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #46
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
I really like going out riding with friends that I know.. The social part is spending time with them..
I don't consider being in the general vaccinity of other people as "spending time with them." When you go to a Texans game are you "spending time" with the 100k other people in the stadium? No. you're "spending time" with the 5 people seated next to you that you can actually communicate with. This reinforces my point that the act of riding is a solitary one.

The only exception to this would be people that have those in-helmet walkie-talkies.

Quote:
How does it feel riding by your self on the road?? how?? do you like it just as much as you do if you were to ride with a very close friend?? I dont think so!
Can't answer this, don't ride street. When I'm on the track I'm on the track. Then when the brain-bucket comes off I'm chilling with friends.

Quote:
why do people put M&G together to go to places?? Yankees or wednesday night?? why?? you dont ride each others bikes.. so whats the point???
is the Social part IMO.
The M&Gs are social. I don't contest this. The riding that comes before or after isn't.

Quote:
so whats so different at the track?? its just the riding part that its different, we are not taking it easy as much as you would riding on the streets. its not like you're just cruising in the middle of the track? you're always trying to work on your skills of riding.. BP, Braking points.. exit... etc...
Do you seat back and chill?? you always have to go the class room right off the track.. you keep moving all day long. Its an EVENT.
Depending on the track org, only novice riders are required to go to class. So that gives me a full 40 minutes in between sessions to bullshit with my freinds. So what's the difference at the track? Not only do I get to ride harder, but I also get a lot more quality time with my friends than I would at a M&G where you might chat for an hour and then ride for an hour.

In conclusion: for the proper usage of a sportbike, AND for socializing, the track wins.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 09-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #47
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
Most people consider being in the general vicinity of others to be social. Rock concerts are social, UFC fights are social, movies are social, anytime you experience something as part of a group you are being social. Talking isn't even a necessary part of being social, and certainly isn't sufficient.
So if I go somewhere, and share an experience with someone who never even knew I existed.....I'm being social? I don't know. That sounds like "alone in a crowded room" to me. Social implies some nature of interaction between parties.

CMRA #302
Old 09-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #48
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
So if I go somewhere, and share an experience with someone who never even knew I existed.....I'm being social? I don't know. That sounds like "alone in a crowded room" to me. Social implies some nature of interaction between parties.
This is like listening to a claustrophobic guy providing rational explanations as to why tight spaces are bad.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #49
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

Bike(s):
- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

gayaway
Old 09-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #50
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
If you see others, and they see you, you are interacting. Interaction doesn't require verbal communication. The quality of the interaction may be poor, but it is still interaction.

If you pass a guy on the inside during a group ride, while going 30 mph and dragging knee, you have interacted with him.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #51
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcypert87 View Post
wow.... sorry about the social anxiety bro... i guess its a lot easier talking to a bunch of people on the internet huh?
Anyways.... who cares what people do! Track or street. Ride what you want to ride and stop about whose more mature.
hahahaha but this is MH man, what do you expect lol

you coming back this sunday? i think Will and Carlos are coming out!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #52
sunday_rider

Bike(s):

Quote:
So why not do all of this at a track? You'll get more "hanging out" time, get to ride harder, and get fewer tickets.
as much as i like that idea, i really dont have much time. i already have my routine on Sundays that pretty much covers hanging out with friends and riding, brunch or dim sum with my family, shopping to contribute to our economy, and back to work after a nice dinner with wife. I enjoy my schedule and not willing to sacrifice any of it just to do a track day.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM   #53
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

1. (adj.) social
pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations:
a social club.

2. social
friendly or sociable, as persons or the disposition.

3. social
pertaining to, connected with, or suited to polite or fashionable society:
a social event.

4. social
living or disposed to live in companionship with others or in a community, rather than in isolation.

5. social
of or pertaining to human society, esp. as a body divided into classes according to status.

6. social
of or pertaining to the life, welfare, and relations of human beings in a community.

7. social
Zool. living habitually together in communities, as bees or ants.

8. social
Bot. growing in patches or clumps.

9. social
pertaining to or between allies or confederates, as a war.

10. (n.) social
a social gathering or party, esp. of or as given by an organized group:
a church social.

Etymology: (1555–65; < L sociālis&equals;soci(us) partner, comrade &plus;-ālis -al1)

Definition of 'social' Princeton's WordNet

1. (adj) sociable, social, mixer
a party of people assembled to promote sociability and communal activity

2. (adj) social, societal
relating to human society and its members
"social institutions"; "societal evolution"; "societal forces"; "social legislation"

3. (adj) social
living together or enjoying life in communities or organized groups
"a human being is a social animal"; "mature social behavior"

4. (adj) social
relating to or belonging to or characteristic of high society
"made fun of her being so social and high-toned"; "a social gossip colum"; "the society page"

5. (adj) social
composed of sociable people or formed for the purpose of sociability
"a purely social club"; "the church has a large social hall"; "a social director"

6. (adj) social
tending to move or live together in groups or colonies of the same kind
"ants are social insects"

7. (adj) social
marked by friendly companionship with others
"a social cup of coffee"

Definition of 'social' Kernerman English Learner’s Dictionary

1. (adjective) social
relating to enjoyable activities done with others
a calendar of social events

2. social
social life
time sb spends doing enjoyable things with others
I don't have much of a social life.

3. social
relating to society
social policy; social trends/history

4. social
relating to sb's place in society
the family's social position/class/background

Definition of 'social' Webster Dictionary

1. (adj) social
of or pertaining to society; relating to men living in society, or to the public as an aggregate body; as, social interest or concerns; social pleasure; social benefits; social happiness; social duties

2. (adj) social
ready or disposed to mix in friendly converse; companionable; sociable; as, a social person

3. (adj) social
consisting in union or mutual intercourse

4. (adj) social
naturally growing in groups or masses; -- said of many individual plants of the same species

5. (adj) social
living in communities consisting of males, females, and neuters, as do ants and most bees

6. (adj) social
forming compound groups or colonies by budding from basal processes or stolons; as, the social ascidians

Translation of 'social' Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary

Sense: concerning or belonging to the way of life and welfare of people in a community
Old 09-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #54
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

PO-PO... By the way.. this only goes to people that Ride STREETS AND TRACK.
You are out of it sir!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #55
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Old 09-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #56
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday_rider View Post
as much as i like that idea, i really dont have much time. i already have my routine on Sundays that pretty much covers hanging out with friends and riding, brunch or dim sum with my family, shopping to contribute to our economy, and back to work after a nice dinner with wife. I enjoy my schedule and not willing to sacrifice any of it just to do a track day.
I feel that Houston area track orgs are missing a decent portion of the market by not catering to people just like you: They need to offer half days. You could easily continue with your normal Sunday routine by simply dropping in a half trackday in place of your SMR. However, that's currently not an option available.

CMRA #302
Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #57
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
PO-PO... By the way.. this only goes to people that Ride STREETS AND TRACK.
You are out of it sir!
This thread was originally about racers road. Its been completely derailed, and was so before I ever posted. Therefore, if you want to call me out, you dictionary definitions into the thread is equally so.

CMRA #302
Old 09-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #58
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
This is like listening to a claustrophobic guy providing rational explanations as to why tight spaces are bad.
This from the guy who actually said, verbatim, "being in a bar doesn't make you social, you have to actually talk to people."

Good work

CMRA #302
Old 09-01-2011, 01:50 PM   #59
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
This from the guy who actually said, verbatim, "being in a bar doesn't make you social, you have to actually talk to people."

Good work
You. As in YOU specifically.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #60
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
You. As in YOU specifically.

Other people can sit in a bar foreveralone and be social but I can't?

mind=blown

CMRA #302
Closed Thread

Advertisement