MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
paniro187

Feedback Rating: (0)

how to tune guitar

i got a guitar today and I want to know about getting it tuned and a good maybe online tutorial to learn to play basic music. I have alot of songs written just needed to put music to them. if anyone can help me out let me know. by the way i'm left handed and i've heard you can switch the strings to get greatest to least set up youi're supposed to have.

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tune??? 02_gixxer750 Performance and Modifications 4 11-27-2013 01:00 AM
name that tune??? Homebrew Off Topic 3 08-30-2011 09:49 AM
guitar repair/tune up? gtdrivr Off Topic 8 03-12-2010 08:59 PM
tune-up ChrisGo Motorcycles Unlimited 0 10-01-2008 12:30 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #2
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Cool, what did you get? Pics? :icon_bigg
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
dbonezny
BaDD NeWz

Bike(s):
non fo now

Send a message via AIM to dbonezny
Take it to a shop.....self tuning is a waste.....take it to someone who's got years of experience and the right tools.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #4
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
Cool, what did you get? Pics? :icon_bigg
I hVE A YAMAHA acoustic that I bought about a month ago and i have this bs one i will learn on then rock out on the yam

do you have a tuner???

Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonezny
Take it to a shop.....self tuning is a waste.....take it to someone who's got years of experience and the right tools.

It's worth learning to tune it yourself, especially if your guitar goes out of tune often.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 10-29-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
I hVE A YAMAHA acoustic that I bought about a month ago and i have this bs one i will learn on then rock out on the yam

do you have a tuner???

I don't have a tuner, but I can tune it for ya.
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Old 10-29-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArturoC
I don't have a tuner, but I can tune it for ya.
pm me yout number again cause like always i forget your number. :laughing6 alzheimer's

Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #8
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):
1996 Harley Davidson Sportster 883

Send a message via AIM to BikerBarbie Send a message via Yahoo to BikerBarbie
I have a tuner and can tune it for you. I can also show you how to tune it without a tuner in case you're stuck.

You MUST learn how to do it yourself. A cheapie tuner costs under $20.

BikerBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

until you buy a tuner..this will do you good....

http://www.cyberfret.com/first-fret/...ning/index.php

scroll down halfway down the page....click "tuning notes" Click this button for the tuning notes on all 6 strings. This includes both standard tuning, all strings lowered a 1/2 step, and all strings lowered a whole step.

just listen and tune away.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbonezny
You tune your guitar everyday. Sometimes more than once a day. If you don't know how to tune it yourself, you're screwed. You can't very well go to the music shop every day!!!

(Finally, a topic that I know a little bit about!!!!)

Old 10-29-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
^

agreed. that being said, it wouldnt hurt to take it to a shop once. ask to "set the intonation".

even if you tune a guitar so the low end is in tune, sometimes the high end of the fretboard can still be out of tune, etc. it has to do with the exact length of the strings across the fretboard. half distance, etc...

yes, you have to be able to tune yourself. an ok electric tuner is $20, and if your new its a must. eventually if you play alot and keep practicing you wont need the tuner.

your a leftie? oh my. well so was jimmie hendrix so that should help you with some inspiration. lefties have various styles to adapt, everything from just learning to play right-handed (its a whole new skill anyways) to playing a righty guitar upside down, or getting a guitar made for lefties.

i played electric for about 3 years, and could rock out fairly decently. im not one of those hardcore musicians that can play and sing at the same time, that takes talent!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 PM   #12
paniro187

do i just switch the strings because i'm left handed.

Old 10-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #13
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

i'm lefty too....do yourself a favor....just learn how to play right handed..its a pain in the at first...but soo much easier when learning how to play tabs .
Old 10-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

setting the intonation has to do with a note being in tune at one place on the fret board but the same note in the upper octave being out of tune. It has to do with neck "relief" The bow in the neck. It is recommended that what ever string size and type you have the guitar set for that you stay with that string size. Increasing or decreasing the string size will change the relief and make the intonation go out of adjustment. Definetly get a cheap tuner and tune every time you pick up the guitar. If you a learning the guitar with it being out of tune you are learning the wrong finger positions on the fret board. Any beginner book with dvd will be a good start for learning the basics. As far as the strings go, it is better to get a lefty guitar than to reverse the strings on a righty. the notches in the bridge and neck are sized to specific string size ranges. It would affect tuning and sustain.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:01 PM   #15
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by paniro187
i got a guitar today and I want to know about getting it tuned and a good maybe online tutorial to learn to play basic music. I have alot of songs written just needed to put music to them. if anyone can help me out let me know. by the way i'm left handed and i've heard you can switch the strings to get greatest to least set up youi're supposed to have.
The very first thing you should learn is how to tune it. It's not like a piano - that you can tune once a year. You'll have to tune it just about everytime you pick it up. Buy an electronic tuner for about $40 to help you out.

For learning guitar, I thihk the easiest thing to do is go down to Walmart and pick a magazine like GuitarWorld. These mags have popular songs tabbed out for you and since you've probably heard them a million times so they'll be easy to pick up. Also pick up a simple chord chart and learn 3 chords. Practice switching between those chords over and over until it gets easier.

It's just like when you learned to ride. Difficult at first then one day - it just clicks.

If it's an electric guitar I can set the intonation for you (also called a 'set-up'). Acoustic guitars are a little more difficult to set-up so I couldn't help there.

Last edited by MadseasoN; 10-29-2006 at 08:03 PM.
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #16
1FastMF

Member Garage

Right on another player I've been playing for alot of yrs now !!! Where ya live would be happy to get together with ya and teach u whatever ya wanna know and jam together Open invite to anyone else that might be interested too !!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #17
MadseasoN

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastMF
Right on another player I've been playing for alot of yrs now !!! Where ya live would be happy to get together with ya and teach u whatever ya wanna know and jam together Open invite to anyone else that might be interested too !!!!
Cool. I'm in Kingwood.

I've been playing for about 13 years. I'm really a bassist though. Kinda sucky at guitar.:icon_bigg
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:10 PM   #18
BikerBarbie
I only look plastic

Bike(s):

I'm really a keyboard player and do play in a band. If you guys get together to jam, lemme know!

S0unds like we need a drummer.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #19
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by denhou1974
The very first thing you should learn is how to tune it. It's not like a piano - that you can tune once a year. You'll have to tune it just about everytime you pick it up. Buy an electronic tuner for about $40 to help you out.

For learning guitar, I thihk the easiest thing to do is go down to Walmart and pick a magazine like GuitarWorld. These mags have popular songs tabbed out for you and since you've probably heard them a million times so they'll be easy to pick up. Also pick up a simple chord chart and learn 3 chords. Practice switching between those chords over and over until it gets easier.

It's just like when you learned to ride. Difficult at first then one day - it just clicks.

If it's an electric guitar I can set the intonation for you (also called a 'set-up'). Acoustic guitars are a little more difficult to set-up so I couldn't help there.
+1, that little electronic tuner will save some headaches. Lots of good guitar sites out there. Just depends on what style your really interested in.
Good luck, and be PATIENT!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #20
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Cool deal!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement