MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #21
morvegil
Banned

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about AGV GP-Tech Helmet Shell/Padding itsmebanky Gear Talk 3 01-05-2014 03:22 AM
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Helmet Questions? Fuzzy018 How To's and Q & A's 2 05-08-2008 04:54 PM
helmet questions??? matt440rev Gear Talk 5 04-12-2008 06:33 PM
Helmet questions???? Neversatisfied02 Gear Talk 22 02-22-2007 08:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #22
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
ah, i have an RPS-10 as well, going back to arai after this 1 is worn out, i replace helmets ever 5 yrs, regardless if they've been down or not
Any reason why? I've been considering an arai but not too sure. They feel kinda strange when I try them on. Also considering a GP-Tech or an X-12.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #23
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Try on an HJC RPS-10. They are not super expensive, and They fit really nice. They are very light weight, and flow very very well. Even in this heat, I still have no problems wearing it.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #24
KEM

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Hospital bed (returned)
ZX6R monster (crashed)
Ducati SS1000DS (crashed)
SV650S (sold)

Quote:
Helmets pass a minimum standard, remember its a gov't test........which lids exceed it or just meet it?
have to agree... don't know much about standards and how they set... is snell also goverment?
KEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #25
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcaveman View Post
Although you say you disagree, I cannot say where...I think you are just commenting on my post, and that is great. AGV GP-tech and Shoei X-Spirit II ARE motogp/wsbk helmets. I donīt particulary like Shoei for 22 reasons: Fit and Graphics, however, my comment comes from a documentary from Shoei where they stated the difference between components and structure requiered for a typical track accident as opposed to a road crash... Just my 5cnts...
most racers i see are wearing street lids, RX7RR4's, corsairs, Shoei X11-12s even the AGVs though i'm not up on their line. And i've never heard of a manuf. making race lids vs street lids, they are all one in the same. and tested similarly.

racers slide, street riders impact.

link to vid. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Any reason why? I've been considering an arai but not too sure. They feel kinda strange when I try them on. Also considering a GP-Tech or an X-12.
only saving graces for the HJC are the lightness and paint job. IMO, i have the ben spies replica. i've had 4 arais' before this HJC and will be going back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEM View Post
have to agree... don't know much about standards and how they set... is snell also goverment?
SNELL is independant testing
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
Ever manufacturer has a different shape some will fit your head better. In my case the suomy fits my head shape best. I highly recommend trying on your helmet before purchase.

The people at motorcycles unlimited can hook it up. If not just look online for deals.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #27
tbcaveman

Bike(s):
yamaha r1
yamaha MT-01
Yamaha V-Max
Yamaha Virago 750
kawasaki zx-10r

Quote:

racers slide, street riders impact.

link to vid. ?

Exactly my point, helmets defined as Speed are for racers. There are 2 main differences, the outer shell is made of exotic materials like kevlar and the material of the inner shell is also from a different material. Wish I had the vid, I saw it at a presentation at the opening of a Yamaha dealership...There is a german institute that has lots of studies about this topic and they also agree on this point.
tbcaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #28
Dread6
BANNED

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2009 Triumph Daytona 675
2012 Triumph Daytona 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitygroov View Post
SO Im in the market for a good helmet.
Cycle gear has some 707 helmets for around 150$ They are both Dot and snell approved..

I dont want to go cheap and risk my life... However is there anything special about the higher end up helmets such as shoei, arai, etc?
Are 500$ helmets constructed better?? Or am I simply paying for a 'brand name helmet' that does the same as a cheaper helmet. do they prevent brain injuries better than the cheaper helmets under 200$???

Please enlighten me!

Thx guys
I was in the same situation when I bout my 1st lid. I could've gotten a helmet for $100-$200 but decieded to get a $300-$400 lid insted. The only difference from research is, fhe more expensive lids use lighter materials and have amenities such as fog proof windscreen, air vents in the chin and head, flip up sunshades etc.

I have a good head on my shoulders and wanted to keep it that way. I just didn't feel comfortable buying a lid at that price.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #29
MCgixxer
stunter in training

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600
2003 GSXR 600

Send a message via AIM to MCgixxer
arai is definitely the way to go. while they are a little on the pricey side, they are well built and well worth the money. if youre gunna bounce your head off the ground i'd do it in one of those because mine sure saved my
MCgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:54 AM   #30
Joshua42007

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEM View Post
Snell Helmet Safety Standards

Quote:
Since its founding in 1957, the Snell Memorial Foundation has independently tested manufacturer's helmets. Its first safety standards for protective headgear were issued for auto racing in 1959. Subsequently, other specific helmet standards for motorcycling, equestrian sports, bicycling, rollerblading and skateboarding, snowboarding and skiing, and karting have been issued. These standards address performance, not specific materials or design. Periodically, utilizing specially designed test equipment, the Foundation upgrades its specifications on performance characteristics of helmets to keep pace with advances in materials, helmet technology and design.

Also, I found this on the Snell website:

Finding a good helmet is as easy as remembering the 4 S's: Size, Strap, Straight and Snell.

Quote:
Size: Try on several different helmets before you purchase one. The best way to gauge comfort level and fit is through comparison. The helmet should fit comfortably all the way around your head. Additional pads can be used to make it snug.
Strap: Pay attention to the chin strap. Make sure that the chin strap fits around your ear and under your chin snugly and comfortably. The helmet should not shift on your head.
Straight: Know how a helmet should fit. A helmet is meant to be worn low on the forehead, just above your eyebrows. Look into a mirror or have a friend/parent help you determine the proper fit.
Sticker: Look for Snell certification. Snell Standards are the most stringent in the world, exceeding those set by the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC), American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM) and the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). Need to know which helmet is Snell certified? Browse through Snell helmet certification lists.

Technicians at two state-of-the-art laboratories, located in the United States and the United Kingdom, test helmets on two levels. First, helmet samples from manufacturers are tested to see if they meet Snell certification testing requirements. Then, once a helmet passes and receives the Snell certification sticker, it is subjected to random sample testing. These dual-testing procedures are designed to see that the product a consumer buys off the shelf is as protective as the one submitted for initial testing.

Once you've selected a helmet, remember that it must be worn correctly every time you ride a bike. A helmet should be replaced immediately if damaged, and at least every five years based on wear and tear.

Last edited by Joshua42007; 08-26-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #31
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Dennis Kirk has some Soumy Spec 1R lids and Shoei RF1000 for about $200 right now

https://www.denniskirk.com/50-74.dis.../pricedesc.srt
urbanXJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #32
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
Dennis Kirk has some Soumy Spec 1R lids and Shoei RF1000 for about $200 right now

https://www.denniskirk.com/50-74.dis.../pricedesc.srt
Wow, some sweet deals on there. Nice find
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #33
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I may be wrong but I think some of the confusion about "Race" vs "Street" helmets comes from different types of construction and what it means in a crash.
Some helmets have very rigid shells that provide superior protection against certain types of crashes while other helmets have more flexible shells that are better in other types of crashes.
As I recall, the Snell certification is biased towards the more rigid helmets while CE (euro spec) favors "softer" construction.
In any case the main thing is to wear a helemt, 2nd consideration is that it's from a reputable mfr and 3rd is price. That said, don't buy into the idea that you have to spend $700 to get good protection.
That started with an old Bell (I think) advertising campaign that said, "If you have a $5 head wear a $5 helmet". People are still using that idea as a justification for buying $700 helmets.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #34
Luke

Bike(s):
'02 VFR 800
'03 KLX 400 Tard

The difference in helmets varies greatly. Unfortunately it is not as simple as finding a price and color that you're happy with. Most manufacturers build towards a certain head shape and that is why what works for one guy doesn't for his buddy.
It's best whenever buying a new helmet to be properly sized, and to have your head shape evaluated. A properly fit $200 helmet is more useful than an improperly sized $800 helmet.
When buying a helmet not only do you need to consider your budget and desired graphics, but also head shape, ventilation, the ability of the liner to be removed, shield clarity/distortion, replacement parts availability and warranty options

It sometimes helps if you equate helmets to the bikes we ride. As helmets go up in price the features become more refined. Just think of it as a difference between a Ninja 250 and a ZX10. Both of these will get you to where you want to go, but each offer much different levels of comfort and performance.

I have personally worn helmets from most manufacturers, and at this time thoroughly enjoy my RPS-10. The helmet is very light, stable at speeds, properly fits my head shape, and fog free using the provided pinlock insert. The air flow is excellent and very controllable with the six way adjustable vents.

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9:30-6 Sat. 9-6
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #35
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)