MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Snow
Can I kick it?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Cars VS Bikes?

Can anyone chime in that does both on the track?

I am contemplating a track car, but would like some input before I jump in.

I am not really interested in racing, just track days pretty much. Would most likely pick up a miata or s2k.

Even more helpful would be someone who could give an opinion of the two for a track car, which may or may not be used on the street as well. I seem to see more miatas being used on the track.

Spec miatas are surprisingly cheap....
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
i know another bikes vs. cars andrew General Discussion (Moto Related) 53 10-22-2010 03:27 PM
cars vs bikes GreyF2 Taking it to the Track 53 04-02-2009 08:57 AM
tHIS IS WHY CARS HATE BIKES!!!!! SPYDER BITE General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-19-2008 05:54 AM
Naming Your Bikes/Cars ArturoC Off Topic 14 09-19-2006 08:17 PM
cars vs bikes TinyCycleKat General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 09-14-2006 11:36 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
Jetkillr
Trackdays:7 Crashes:3

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

motorcycles are cheaper than cars for sure. cars you have to put in a roll cage and what not. Also i think its easier to street your bike than street a track purpose built car. Obviously you can have a high performance street car that does well at the track also. A spec miata would be cheaper than an S2k but i dont know about faster...

what are you looking for? safety? lap times? competition?

if you have the pockets for a track car i would do that

just some thoughts...
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Jetkillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
TexasTwisties

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
1999 Suzuki Katana 750
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10
2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10r
2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10r
2004 YZF-R1

Track days are expensive for cars are they not?

Would love to track my evo
TexasTwisties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
1308cc
954 isn't a liter

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 Honda VFR800
2006 Honda CBR 1000RR(Wrecked)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR (sold)
2006 Suzuki GS500F (sold)
2010 Yamaha FZ6R (sold)

Member Garage

I have only tracked a car once, it was a modded Corolla AE86. I tracked it at one of those hyper drive events they had back in the day at Summit Point. I honestly couldn't afford to regularly track a car. Now Autocrossing, I do that on the regular. It's cheap, and lots of fun. You can autocross anything. I plan on autocrossing my 08 Odyssey.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

I am more tempted to go cars than bikes for the safety.

Everyone around me is crashing, falling, getting hit, serious injuries. I have yet to have my first crash...and I am NOT looking forward to it. I find myself extremely limiting myself when I am on the track because I know the consequences of getting over your head.

I just wonder if, after tracking a bike, tracking a car would be somewhat of equal enjoyment.

I think I haven't crashed on the track yet because I just go out there to have fun, not to be as fast as possible... but that has also made sure I stayed slow.

I think a car would suite me better because I would be much more willing to push myself.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
halfbr3d

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'08 GSXR600

Tires, brakes, and clutches are expensive on cars. You've also got to think about transport. Transporting a bike is a lot easier than a car.
halfbr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbr3d View Post
Tires, brakes, and clutches are expensive on cars. You've also got to think about transport. Transporting a bike is a lot easier than a car.
It would most likely be a street car that I used for trackdays. I am not really interested in racing, just want to do trackdays in a car.

I like riding the same bike that I use on the track, and I would like to drive the same car on the street that I use on the track.

Money is something I am willing to spend, bones I'd rather not break. Ambulance rides are expensive... lol.

The money/transport is not something I am worried about. I am just curious what people feel about driving cars on the track... and if it is as fun as bikes.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
forestkiller
Banned

User is banned

forestkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
HDA
Italians do it better

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2014 RSV4 APRC
1992 CBR RR
2003 RC51

Send a message via Skype™ to HDA
You offer me a pitcher tonight and I'll tell you whatever you need to know

JK, I track a street legal S2000 and a CBR1k 09.

It's just different, can't drag the knee with the S2000, can't oversteer *as much* my CBR09.

Cars cost more, that's a given.

But hey, motorsport is expensive, if you can't, play chess
Old 08-25-2011, 05:42 PM   #10
Snow
Can I kick it?

Bike(s):
Sick 7-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestkiller View Post
it would be fun, but i dont see how it could beat the rush of a motorcycle. Try taking a S2000 down 3090 or around Livingston, it won"t be near as fun.
Was on 3090 a few days ago. Mid turn, there was a cow... and the stupid thing came at me.

Try taking a daytona 675 through a cow...

I've been kicking the idea of no more street bikes for a while now... so I probably will continue doing it for a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDA View Post
You offer me a pitcher tonight and I'll tell you whatever you need to know

JK, I track a street legal S2000 and a CBR1k 09.

It's just different, can't drag the knee with the S2000, can't oversteer *as much* my CBR09.

Cars cost more, that's a given.

But hey, motorsport is expensive, if you can't, play chess
I would if I thought you were close to me. I live north of Conroe.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #11
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

If you want to get into it yu can do solo2 w/ scca the first sunday of every month at gulf greyhound park. I belive its only 50 bux or so if your not a member. Its been a few years since ive done it, but cant imagine it has changed too much. You dont need any special equipment for this. All you realy need is a helmet, and they provide them there if you dont have one.
You have to think everything mechanicly on a car is going to be more expensive. Brakes, suspension, clutch/engine.

www.houscca.com
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Jetkillr

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

you can run faster lap times in a well prepped car thats a plus! You can always get a cheap civic or something like that and track it. doesnt always have to be RWD
i think this makes him look human. you always get people thinking they soooooo perfect, well your not. at least Obama was cool enough to be himself. thats why i look up to him, he's like an average black male but with intelligence. -Actual Quote from a Barack Obama supporter
Old 08-25-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

I've contemplated this myself since we have driveway austin. Its expensive to start, but after that its only 20/session or so. Works out like a normal trackday would. Im apprehensive about bringing the C5 out on the track. Something tells me I would push just like on the bike, and end up sliding in the grass

Brakes/tires will be more expensive, but I bet its just as much fun in a fast car.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

I have done a few track days in my Vette. Its a blast. You can find a 1999-2001 corvette depending on the options and stuff for 11-15k. I would get into one of those, you can drive mine if you like, and see what you think.
Deadfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #15
Mark06gsxr
Let 'er eat

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
06/09 hybrid gsxr 750
'08 Duc' 848(sold)
'06 Gsxr 1000(sold)
'02 954rr(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadFred View Post
I have done a few track days in my Vette. Its a blast. You can find a 1999-2001 corvette depending on the options and stuff for 11-15k. I would get into one of those, you can drive mine if you like, and see what you think.
I know I;ve thought about it. Another guy at my work runs his miata. He seems to like it, but then again he's never done a TD on a bike

I think I like the civic/integra idea for a trackday car. Engines are bulletproof and easy to work on. Plus they make decent power with the right mods. Parts are everywhere too.
Mark06gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 AM   #16
Jetkillr

Bike(s):
2001 SV650S
2001 R6 SOLD

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark06gsxr View Post
I know I;ve thought about it. Another guy at my work runs his miata. He seems to like it, but then again he's never done a TD on a bike

I think I like the civic/integra idea for a trackday car. Engines are bulletproof and easy to work on. Plus they make decent power with the right mods. Parts are everywhere too.
yea i think your best bet is a 94-2001 Integra. you already have a B18 and may or may not have vtec but you dont need vtec anyway. Non vtec is cheaper. Just depends on if you want to street it or not.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #17
HDA
Italians do it better

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2014 RSV4 APRC
1992 CBR RR
2003 RC51

Send a message via Skype™ to HDA
Naaa, get a Miata, even if not faster a RWD is more fun!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #18
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDA View Post
Naaa, get a Miata, even if not faster a RWD is more fun!
if you want something japanese... Get a 2001-2003 Nissan 350z. You can find them with a salvage title for like 6-7k.

Its a v6 that produces decent power. and much more with mods. Also its RWD
Old 08-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I had a 94 Miata track / street. It was ultra reliable, kinda slow, handled great, and was very, very easy on tires. RWD meant you could steer with throttle, and drift, and drive it like a car is meant to be driven. Resale is great on older models. I drove it for three years, sold it for $500 less than I had in it. I drove it as a daily...good MPG, practical enough, fun to put the top down on a nice day, more than adequate A/C, I had a stereo so that helped highway noise. I put 500 mile days and it was fine.

Downside to Miatas is people think you are gay. Upside is all the girls want to be friends, go shopping for bikinis and makeup, and occasionally try to "change" you. And Miatas are slow.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Deadfred
Drop Dead or Die Trying

Bike(s):
Ducati EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.P View Post

Downside to Miatas is people think you are gay. Upside is all the girls want to be friends, go shopping for bikinis and makeup, and occasionally try to "change" you. And Miatas are slow.
LoL

Advertisement