MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
IllSam09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 GSX-R 600

Bike Accident advice (w/pics!)

I was going right down the street a couple days ago when a silver car jumped out in front of me. I tried to brake and swerve but my rear end swung around and smashed into the back of this car.

Cops came out and determined that I was NOT at fault as the car was making an illegal turn. So I started a claim with my company, and I plan to call their company Monday morning.

This is my first auto accident...can anyone offer any friendly advice? what should I do next? Do I need to take the bike to some shops and get some repair quotes to fax to their insurance company?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3199.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	47855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3202.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	47856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	47857  

IllSam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pics from the car accident i was in... upononer6 Off Topic 39 04-04-2016 06:15 PM
Accident- Not at Fault. Need advice! D-Man General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 05-10-2013 04:26 PM
Need some car accident/insurance advice!!! chum600 Car Forum 3 09-25-2009 07:17 PM
In theory......(accident advice) Solracer Safety Corner Main 69 05-10-2009 12:47 PM
Need Some Advice on the Forks!!! (pics) HoustonGixxer Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 11 05-08-2008 06:25 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
ringdingding
...at the track

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Aprilia Ride Smart 125 two times
CBR 250
Ducati 1000ss air cooled

You don't want your insurance to know even if it's not your fault there need to inform your insurance company. Handle it through their insurance only. Tell the adjuster that you don't want a new bike, you just want it to be the same as before. Nothing more, nothing less. This is how I handled my accident in April and I wasn't out any money.
ringdingding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

I'd contact your insurance to battle it out with them. Your insurance is going to try whatever they can to get them to pay so they don't have to (if you have full coverage)

I am not familiar with the negative side of letting your own insurance know, but they know a of a lot more than you might when it comes to whose fault it is and how to battle with each other. I think the worst that could happen is you get a NAF (Not At Fault) on your record when insurance companies look you up. Which could increase your insurance rate.

My buddy crashed his bike and he took it to the nearest shop to get a damage estimate. The insurance decided to scrap the bike instead because damage was too much.

Last edited by ivancuriel; 08-21-2011 at 10:36 PM.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #5
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

I would contact my insurance and let them know I was involved in an accident and it was Not your fault. Like the guy above said, your insurance will fight FOR YOU vs the other insurance so the other insurance would have to pay. Take your bike to a few repair shops and get a quote. Use the highest quote with the best quality. If youre hurt..or not hurt but fell off your bike.... make a dr.s appt. Who knows if youre hurt on the inside or not. Their insurance will pay. Hire an attorney. They dont get paid unless you get paid, and its usually split 3 ways. Docs, Lawyers, you. 33% each. Dont be soft...bc this driver could have KILLED you, PARALYZED you. Bc of his/her neglect and attention to the road, a life was in danger.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #6
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Protect yourself and contact YOUR insurance company. They will handle it from there. That is why YOU pay for insurance.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 AM   #7
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

Make sure police states it was there fault!! If not case lost, dont let ur insurance find out
Old 08-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

BTW Did they give the guy a ticket?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #9
DanteLee
Sexy Dynamite

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
suzuki katana 96(sold)
honda cbr f4i 06 (sold)
ride my neighbors harley cuz he doesnt ride it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringdingding View Post
You don't want your insurance to know even if it's not your fault there need to inform your insurance company. Handle it through their insurance only. Tell the adjuster that you don't want a new bike, you just want it to be the same as before. Nothing more, nothing less. This is how I handled my accident in April and I wasn't out any money.
you do realize if a cop was there they most likely exchanged info and the person at fault will try to turn the tables around and call his ins and state it was his fault not theirs.....thats what you pay your ins for, let them hash it out they have high priced lawyers who do this for a living.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
Rael
Communist Plant

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteLee View Post
you do realize if a cop was there they most likely exchanged info and the person at fault will try to turn the tables around and call his ins and state it was his fault not theirs.....thats what you pay your ins for, let them hash it out they have high priced lawyers who do this for a living.
This. You pay insurance to cover your in situations like this. They have the lawyers and the experience. Now if you went down without a cage's help, calling would depend on how severe the damage is and whether you have full coverage.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Houston Terrell

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DRZ 400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Get a lawyer, it wont cost you anything (They'll take their cut in the end). Also, id contact your insurance...his insurance company can still with u and say its not their fault no matter what the police report says.

+1 Best way to go about it..... Lawyer up!
Houston Terrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #12
Pachuco
So fly, I need feathers

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
1098s
S4RS
SC1000
999s
996 sps

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Pachuco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
This. You pay insurance to cover your in situations like this. They have the lawyers and the experience. Now if you went down without a cage's help, calling would depend on how severe the damage is and whether you have full coverage.
if it wasn't your fault, then contact your insurance. They will make sure they make the othe company pay 100% of your replacement costs.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #13
IllSam09

Bike(s):
2007 GSX-R 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuco View Post
if it wasn't your fault, then contact your insurance. They will make sure they make the othe company pay 100% of your replacement costs.
I talked to the other persons insurance tgis morning. The guy on the phone took my statement and said they would be 100% liable for the repairs. Just waiting for an appraisal now. They had USAA...decent company to deal with.
IllSam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #14
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Don't forget to include your gear and such in the claim. GL
BigComfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
swieland

Bike(s):
formula 2 Ride Smart 125
06 road king custom

Do not contact your insurance company. Do not get lawyer involved. They know they are liable for the damage. Take your bike to a respected shop for the repairs and let the insurance co. look at the bike at their shop. You should have no problems. If you do then you can still use your insurance or get a lawyer. To many sue happy people...just get your fixed and go ride.
swieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #16
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

From prior experience, let your insurance know what happened. Even though their insurance guy on the phone said they will take responsibility, they can change their statement. It happened to me. Even had a police report stating the offending driver failed to yield right of way while exiting a private parking lot. I didn't get my insurance company involved and ended up not getting .
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #17
swieland

Bike(s):
formula 2 Ride Smart 125
06 road king custom

You have a timeline to file a claim. Call your insurance if you want your rates to go up. I deal with insurance co. every day and do know what i am talking about!
swieland is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement