MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > New Riders and MSF Course Info
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
BuddyWho?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

I am all Ears

Greetings all. I have a question about a moto comparison.

I was shopping today at Motorcycles Unlimited and was ordering a new pair of sized 14 clod-hoppers (new boot brand) anyways one of the questions the lady (I am guessing that was Patricks wife, I am bad at remembering names) was what kind of motorcycle I have. I said I don't have one but that I am considering a Suzuki GS 500. Long story short, she mentioned that a SV650 might be a better choice for my size and weight, not to mention has a little bit more "umph".

This got me to reasearching both models. I have been scowering articles and threads on the GS500 for nearly a month now and figured that with all the praise it was one of the most ideal used bike/starter bike choices. I have heard all the talk that VTwins are more forgiving, and what not, for begginning riders. In fact my MSF instructior mentioned the SV's cousin the VStrom.

I do a comparison of the two and seat height is not that big of a difference, a half inch, but the power is and the GS500 is not mentioned to be a VTwin. I have seen some negative points about the older GS models but, after further review, I am convinced that the imperfections don't outweigh the value.

I suppose my confusion is the benifit of having a VTwin engine and not knowing the technical difference of the GS. If you can enlighten me, please do. Also, does the GS actually act weak, like one of the goofy 250cc model GSF bikes, when a 6'5" 185lb giant like me sits on one, as the lady suggested? I am sure that the SV bike would be a great buy, but a 650cc bike to start on? When I asked my instructor the difference in the SV and 600cc super sport bikes, he gave me the impression it was one of those things that was better experienced and maybe took too long to explain.

It also seems that used SV650s are fewer and futher in between as far as being listed for sale anywhere, not to mention, nearly impossible to find a used VStrom. I am very receptive to facts, opinions and what have you since I prefer to learn from others experience, and mistakes, instead of fowling on my behalf. Any imput, links, and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

OH and BTW, if this topic has been discussed before, please lead me in the right direction, short attention span, since I have been reading posts hear for nearly 3 months and probably have not even touched on a quarter of the subjects here.
BuddyWho? is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music to my ears Colonel General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-26-2011 08:47 PM
Gauged Ears........... LunchBox Off Topic 79 04-07-2009 02:59 PM
Something new for your ears! Slowkat Off Topic 9 07-01-2007 10:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
scrapp
I need earplugs.

Send a message via AIM to scrapp
Theres a few SVs for sale around here, and if you go to houston-imports.com and go to the motorcycle for sale section I know of TWO for sale. vtwins give more linear power, instead of ringing the out of it like a 4cyl. you might not "feel" like your going fast because there is no sudden urge of pulling, its just strong solid power up. It going to prolly feel more easier to use on the street.
I have a honda RC51 (1000cc vtwin) I love my vtwin. Sure its not going to rev to the moon, and it doesnt feel like im shooting off on a rocket like the feeling of a 4cyl gives, but it IS defintally moving.

I was defintally looking to get a SV650 as a first bike, but ended upwith a ninja250, so im partial to the SV still.

also a SV can REALLY grow with you. LOTS of aftermarket products to upgrade, and they handle awesome. if you decided to just keep the SV and upgreade it, you would have a winner on your side always ready for YOUR next step in performance change

Last edited by scrapp; 10-26-2006 at 05:20 PM.
scrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:20 PM   #3
Squeaky

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
I've got a 34" inseam and I had an SVS for 9 months. After 14k miles, I just couldn't take the riding position anymore and moved up to the Strom.

The Wee Strom (DL650) has almost the same engine as the SV650, but it's tuned differently. Unless you're becoming a racer, the Strom will do everything you want and need, with the added bonus of extra room for luggage, passenger, etc. and LOTS more comfy!

...then again, you have to be Ok with the "ugly" factor. most Strom owners get over it quickly because the bike is just so versatile!
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #4
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

even check out the FZ600's...there's a ton of bikes out there to ride...
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

SV hands down. As stated previosly there are plenty of upgrades available for it and the V-twin is forgiving. An added bonus is that it is naked making it sexy as .
Old 10-26-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
hotnanas
i rock knobbies

Feedback Rating: (4)

naked is most definately sexy
hotnanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
BuddyWho?

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

Thank you Citzen T. That was what I wanted to begin learning about VTwins. Guess maybe I should start researching the technology to learn it better . Seems I have a bit to understand, no wonder when I ask people they have that, U kind of need to experience it, type of look on their face. It does sound quite a bit more usefull feature and I see what they mean by more user friendliness, as compared to a SS bike.

Thank you too Squeaky, gives me a bit of understanding to what I may encounter in the future with the sportbike posture. BTW the VStrom pictures I have looked at kind of have their brakes/shifter postion blended into the nakedness of the bike. The VStrom is a standard type of positioning versus sportbike positioning right? Kind of makes me wonder why Suzuki lists the SV650 under both their Standard and Sport Bike sections.

And for Hotnanas. Is the FZ600 like a de-tuned YZF model. Kind of like the tuning relation between a VStrom and an SV? It is still an inline 4 model. I guess the specs sections for new models don't describe enough.

Thanks for the input and any more responses/experiences are more than welcomed. I suppose not too many tall people actually try their luck with the GS500. I was curious if it would act so wimpy if anybody but a midget rode on it.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:18 PM   #8
scrapp
I need earplugs.

well there is the sv650, it has normal handlebars and is more upright sitting

then there is the sv650s, with clipons, and a more agressive sitting stance
Old 10-26-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
BuddyWho?

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

True. But both models are listed under both Standard and Sport sections of the Suzuki website. Deceptive marketing? Oh and forgive me if I am wrong, but both models have the shifters in sport postion. Same sitting position right? They look the same just body changes add the extra $$.

Last edited by BuddyWho?; 10-26-2006 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
scrapp
I need earplugs.

just get a honda.

"dont be caught dead, riding other then red"
Old 10-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

The SV (nekkid and S) are considered standards, but there's a very fine line there. It's nothing like the position of a CBR or other purely-sport bike, but it was still too cramped for me over time.

Don't get me wrong - I've done 600 miles in a day on the SVS, but my calves were cramped the next day and it required more comfort stops.

Have ridden an FZ1 and an R1, and the R is most certainly a sport bike. The FZ was more upright than even the SV, but still nowhere near the comfort of the Strom.

For the purpose of insurance, the SVS is a standard and should be a reduced rate over sport bikes (it was one of the big reasons I got it).

How about you tell us what you're looking to do with the bike so we can try to figure out what is best suited for you?

PS: There's a 6'8" guy on another forum that rides a Strom and fits well on it, although when he stands next to it he makes it look like a minibike! I'll have to find a link to the pic...
Old 10-26-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Here's a link to a thread with just pics of Stroms around the world.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64304
Old 10-26-2006, 07:08 PM   #13
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
the s modoel handle bars are about 2 inches lower than the regular, but its still a little higher than the rest of the sportbikes
Romeo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #14
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
hey bud. i own a sv650s back home and i still love the little v-twin i also own a 06 R6. and to be honest with you, i would recommend the sv650 to you. the naked version that is. i have the S model back home it hurts the lower back a little bit on long rides. But as for comparing bikes. what are you looking to buy new or used. if you going to go with an SV650 Motorcycles Unlimited has a decent black one for sale that would make a great starting bike. as for the gs500 you would look like a monkey a foot ball. and it's way under powered for a guy of your size. the SV would be the best option. i would say that is one of the best starter bikes out there. and the V-twins are prob the most fun to ride lol. But it all depends on what your looking for. just don't over analize everything and just do.. you will be happy with no matter what you buy. buy the GS500 will be a little under powered in the end for you. just my 2 cents...
S_M_J82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #15
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
for the record the GS500 is also a vtwin. air cooled if i am not mistaken which means less maintenance and such. it is for sure a cool bike.

but i would also recommend the SV650, its true more upgrades are available, has more power. both bikes are good starter bikes, the SV is a starter bike and more. its also more versatile.

so if you find you like to go touring, the SV is capable, and if you find the twisties are your thing, the SV is more than capable. its a very popular choice at the track!

be safe out there!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo36
the s modoel handle bars are about 2 inches lower than the regular, but its still a little higher than the rest of the sportbikes
I put Heli bar risers on my S and it was a HUGE help to the ergos. It sat me up a little taller, which made it easier to use my stomach/back muscles to hold me up instead of putting my weight on my wrists.

I'm not knocking the SV folks, but the guy is 6'5"!!! At the very least, he'll need to put rearset plates on to move the pegs down and back for more room, which will reduce lean angle drastically and then it won't be as track-able as stock.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

And as if I hadn't already contributed enough to this thread, there's a thread running on TWT titled "So what's so great about a VStrom?" that you might enjoy reading through.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:46 PM   #18
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

the GS is a better beginner bike, the SV is a great 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th bike.

take the www.msf-usa.org class before you do anything

btw, i also own an SV.

"that'll be the day"
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:39 AM   #19
BuddyWho?

Bike(s):
2004 GS 500F

Thank you for inputs, links and replies. Double check on the MSF. Mission accomplished about 3 weeks ago. "My MSF instructor suggested the VStrom." And yes, riding around on the Eliminator definatley made me feel like I was a little monkey riding around on a dog's back at the circus .

As for riding purposes. I was mainly interested in a daily commuter which I could go for a brisk weekend ride every so often. I am not, yet, interested in the 600 mile rides, however I do enjoy scenic routes though town where lights are frequent and traffic is less common. I am not focusing on Highway power for the purchase and am looking into the used market. I don't plan on touching any freeways/highways for a while until I get my bearings. Work is merely 13miles away and I can easily avoid the freeway.

GS500 is air cooled but I did not know it was a VTwin. No mention in any of the handfull of places I have looked. When I became interested in the GS I was looking more towards getting away from a 250cc model since the consensus seemed that one grows tiresome of it in less than half a year. The SV does seem to fit the bill since I will want to hang on to my first ride for a year, at least.

I agree with you Racer X. The GS is one of the most recommended starter bikes, in fact I was quoted $100 less a year for full insurance than a Ninja 250, prob something to do with resale value. Thanks for the input all.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #20
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

the 500 is a parallel twin

as for growing tired, it;s all a mindset, one of my fellow inst. just bought a ninja 250, he;s been riding 40+ yrs, is over 6',300+ lbs

he's put 9000mi on it since jan this yr, he also a 1200cc-bandit and 1300cc? valkyerie in tha garage.

first bike, buy small cc, buy used, buy cash.......it;s a training tool. they have great resale and usually will sell within hundreds of what you paid for. then get you "dream" bike.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement