MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #21
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

I just changed my fuel filter for my truck and my bike. when You say older vehicles, how old do you mean?
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EPA + Ethanol - I can't believe they're admitting it. lisiecki1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 04-25-2014 07:49 AM
Lots of info on what kind of bike to start off with, but what about info on upgrading phrenetiK General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 03-08-2013 06:32 PM
Ethanol - Response from Washington DGShannon General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 08-30-2012 07:13 PM
Ethanol sucks. lol Solracer Performance and Modifications 33 08-15-2008 12:54 AM
ethanol? jrock General Discussion (Moto Related) 52 04-18-2006 12:19 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #22
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

re-read the first page ^^^
Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
TnTEntR1
R.I.P Bobby K/ NY Matty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
'06 Yama R1

.........My Titan takes Ethenol so i'm guessing the fuel system is made for it??

Tuan Tran
MOTO-INSURANCE
Direct# 281-300-1333
"Like a Good Neighbor, TntEntR1 is there!"
TnTEntR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #24
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #25
BrutusTx

Member Garage

Just thought i would take a minute to pass on a little knowledge to all my MH family. Due to the fact that Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether (MTBE) has been found in groundwater tests in several states(it's benign in small quantities ), most gasoline refineries now use 10% Ethanol (E10) in their fuels. Although this is nothing new to most of you, some of the following info may be. . .

MTBE is BAD stuff in any quantity and has been banned. Because of separation issues Ethanol is blended right before delivery to the station. The refineries have nothing to do with Ethanol.

1. Ethanol is a solvent. In older vehicles, 10% ethanol is enough to damage rubber gaskets/hoses/seals/carb parts (FYI, most manufacturers have been using ethanol resistant materials for about ten years now) E10 can also loosen old gasoline deposits from your tank sending them through your fuel system, potentially clogging your fuel filters/injectors/etc. (Many of you with older trucks and cars will find this out all too soon)

MTBE is worse, but the only real issue would be if the car/truck/bike has been sitting for more than 10 years without having gas in it. Ethanol will clean the water and gunk out of the fuel system very well…….but if you’ve been buying gas for the last 2-3 years it has already done all the cleaning for you.
2. Ethanol absorbs water. Ethanol absorbs A LOT of water out of the atmosphere and disperses it through your gasoline, eventually seperating the ethanol/water from gasoline and settling to the bottom of your fuel tank. Since most fuel pickups are at the bottom of the tank, this leads to water in your cylinders, whick can lead to blown piston rings etc. I highly recommend using fuel stabilizers in all of your boats/atv's/lawnmowers/etc as preventative maintenance.

The separation happens very quickly, you can have a 5 gallon can of gas sit for two weeks and have all the Ethanol at the top and the Gas on the bottom.

3. Old gas with MTBE does not mix well with E10, leading to sludge buildup and fuel seperation in your fuel tank, whick can/will contribute to problems 1&2 from above^^^^. Pick a gas station you trust/use regularly and stick with it(if possible) Also, feel free to ask the clerks how/when the tanks were cleaned and prepared before the switch to E10. If they did not clean their tanks, you will pick up all of the sludge/water that settled in the tanks from the old MTBE gasoline. again contributing to problems 1&2^^^.

Most clerks are going to look at you like your nuts, tanks aren’t cleaned regularly they just get pumped out when they get a buildup of water and sediment which happens over time.
4. Ethanol produces less energy per gallon than gasoline(about 30%!!)
Your fuel efficiency will drop about 3% compared to MTBE gas, resulting in more trips to the petrol station, and more money spent on fuels. (Once again, chose your petrol stations wisely )

5. On a lighter note, E10 can raise octane ratings 3-5 points, and carries 5 times the amount of Oxygen that MTBE does, resulting in a cleaner burn and fewer emissions.

Cliffs Notes: Ethanol is bad, but it's not going away anytime soon
Stabilize your fuels in everything that you don't use on a daily basis, and keep an eye out for fuel system problems in older motorcycles/trucks/boats/lawnmowers/etc, or you will have problems before you know it. There is more to the subject than i posted above, but I'm tired of typing so we'll continue this discussion as questions are posted.
I hope this helps!!! JET

BTW If this is a repost, get over it!!!!!!

The best thing you can do is DON’T get fuel if there is a tanker truck there making a delivery and/or wait 15 minutes after it has left. You have a better chance of getting fuel that has separated if you buy from stations that are less busy, the longer the fuel sits in ANY size tank the greater chance for separation.

Ok, hope this helps some.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
mr_joe

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 R6-Sold
2008 CBR1000

Thanks for the info!!!!

www.myspace.com/mrjoes
mr_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:00 AM   #27
chasee69
ballin' outta control!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CRF 50

my car runs like after they started putting ethanol in it.

my friend is mechanic at bmw and says they have cars come in everyday with the same problem and theres nothing they can really do to fix it

ducatisignature
chasee69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement