MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
BaliusXanthus

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Denim/Kevlar vs Textile

I intend on buying a perforated leather jacket and leather gloves, but I don't think I can do leather pants. I also don't want to wear jeans. I assumed when I started looking for alternatives that kevlar/cordura riding jeans would be more abrasive resistant and stronger than textiles - which simply had the advantage in comfort and temperature control and water resistance.

But then I realized I just kind of assumed that... am I right or wrong? Which one will give me maximum protection, assuming I wear armor underneath regardless of my choice (knee/shin guards and padded/armored shorts)?

Are there ANY jeans that can zip to a jacket? Or can you get jeans altered to zip to a jacket with a connection?
BaliusXanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kevlar riding jeans JOEBUSA Gear Talk 6 03-29-2011 04:01 PM
Kevlar or steel Schmitty General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 06-07-2007 01:48 PM
kevlar vs ss rickykline General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 04-14-2006 10:23 PM
Denim Gear tbone16 Safety Corner Main 10 05-07-2005 05:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Scottie

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
FJR 1300
FZ6 (Raven)

Both Jackets I have had (Olympia Motosport and Joe Rocket) in addition to the zippers for attaching to pants, have come with lops that you can snap round the belt of your jeans.

For commuting I wear a pair of Draggin' jeans with a pair of Thor Quadrant knee guards underneath, but when I am out playing at the weekend I wear armored motorcycle pants zipped to my jacket.

If you end up with mismatched (A*Stars vs Teknic) jacket and pants then there is a good chance that they will not zip together. If that happens just get someone who knows there way round a sewing machine to sew the pant side of the jacket zipper to the jacket side of the pants zipper. Instant compatibility.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

i went down in fieldsheer riding jeans a few years ago. i had an abrasion on my knee but the jeans held up great. i think the abrasion was knee versus kevlar, and the knee lost. the jeans have one or two small scuffs that are not visible from a distance and I still wear them often.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #4
BaliusXanthus

Experience: 1-3 months

Cool, I haven't actually looked at any jackets in person yet, so I haven't seen the connection systems. If it helps the ones I'm interested are the astars alloy or nyc. Loops or some kind of locks would be good. I guess I'm mainly worried about the back of the jacket folding up on me during a get off and loosing my protection, and skin over there.

If kevlar jeans are better than textile in crashes, then I'll continue looking into those. I have no opposition to riding in textiles even for short trips - I'm sure there's something good looking with good protection out there - so textiles are an option if they're better, unlike leathers which I think will either prevent me from riding or put me in a position where I ride with out them, something I don't want to do. Eventually I would like to get proper pants but seeing as how I'm a new rider, long fun rides or lots of high speed riding isn't in my near future. I want something convenient but still safe to run errands, do small/medium size streets. Definitely no highway riding. Eventually when my riding experiences expand , my gear collection will as well.

I have been looking at fieldsheer, in addition to draggin, astars, vansons, shift, cortech, teknic, slider, diamond gusset, hood, jr, and I really like the esquads but they're too expensive and not available in the US. I'm looking for something that has maximum kevlar coverage, and armor inserts aren't that important since I'll be wearing some bionic shorts and knee guards underneath them anyways.
BaliusXanthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement