MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
crzy88

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636

Trailer hitches

What are the rules for borrowing a friend's trailer? Any legal issues that exist when doing that? Also, if I plan to get a trailer, what are the state laws, such as do I need an electrical hookup to have working brake lights on the trailers? Do I need to have my plate visible with a light on it? etc etc. Thanks for your help.

I plan on using my acura tsx to haul. I can't afford a truck. Any brand recommendations? Uhaul, Curt manufac, hidden hitch....

Last edited by crzy88; 08-13-2011 at 03:15 AM.
crzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone here install hitches? logan5 Off Topic 17 02-24-2011 09:41 PM
Trailer Hitches Lokati General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 12-29-2010 05:41 PM
Trailer Park or Trailer Apartment ? lanzer913 Off Topic 20 11-21-2009 03:28 AM
trailer/ trailer hitch info mekrew Off Topic 14 12-17-2008 03:13 PM
A couple of hitches... (if only the H was a B) the_grey_john General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 08-28-2008 02:14 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
SilverBullet

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2011 Husqvarna TE630
2003 KTM 200EXC
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy88 View Post
I plan on using my acura tsx to haul. I can't afford a truck. Any brand recommendations? Uhaul, Curt manufac, hidden hitch....
Brands:
Reese, Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch are all owned by the same corporation so are now all the same. This is the brand U-Haul sells and installs.

Other good brands are Curt Mfg and Valley.

Research for your specific car, some require drilling and are harder to install than others. Also I suggest buying a plug and play wiring harness with connectors.

_
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
FKNA

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzy88 View Post
What are the rules for borrowing a friend's trailer? Any legal issues that exist when doing that? Also, if I plan to get a trailer, what are the state laws, such as do I need an electrical hookup to have working brake lights on the trailers? Do I need to have my plate visible with a light on it? etc etc. Thanks for your help.

Yes to all of the above.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
81 XS650
95 Sportster 1200-sold
07 650R-sold

i got a tow set up at autozone and it was a pretty easy install on the civic. i never ran the lights and didnt have an issue. then again i was only pulling a 4x6 and you could see the brake lights off the civic. not saying that is legal but it worked
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
crzy88

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja ZX636

thanks, all I need now is to get the hitch, electrical, and off I go.
crzy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I did my entire setup from www.etrailer.com. It ran me $150 for everything - hitch, receiver, ball and plug-n-play wiring. They even sent me an extra receiver for free...I asked which height they suggested and they sent me both to try out

I use my 4cyl Automatic Honda Accord to tow 1 bike and it performs remarkably well...

Trailer hitches

The hitch was super easy to install...no drilling. Took me 20 minutes. The wire literally plugs into the back of a pigtail behind the tailight, and I am sure your TSX is the same (gotta love Honda ) If you are only using your car to tow once in a while, you can unplug it when not needed...again, no drilling There are plenty of youtube videos of how to do it directly from E-Trailer.

If you want someone else to do it for you, Uhaul does it for $25 installed (if I recall correctly) but they will drill for wiring and possibly for your hitch - something to consider. They do have a lifetime warranty for an additional $5-10 though. IMO, it's easy enough to install you can do it yourself. Even if you dont have a socket set or a torque wrench, just goto Discount Tire and borrow theres lol - they were nice enough to torque my bolts for me at no charge when I brought my car in for new tires

As for driving a fwd 4cyl automatic with 7-800lbs in back, just be easy on the go and be especially cautious with braking, giving yourself plenty of space.

As for legal/lighting, in 10 years of trailering stuff all over the place with multiple trailers, my dad has never been pulled over just for his trailer. Not even when he had lights not working or expired registration. If you are going to Louisiana, I would be cautious at night with popo but during the day, you should be fine.

Advertisement