MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
cuttin red tape.

i swear im gettin good at this . here is my story.

i went to the registration office off 610 and 290 to try and get some plates. i saw a sign that said they dont do out of state inspections. i got in line anyways just to get directions to the main downtown office. i get up there, and tell the guy i need directions, well i guess he misunderstood me and thought i meant "instructions". he starts giving me 20 questions.

he asks me why my name isnt on the certificate of origin, he wants to give me some and paperwork for it. at that point im just trying to pound on the eject button and get out of there, but he asks me why my name isnt on the title. i (very stupidly) said it was a race bike, so it was never titled. "OH," he says, and sighs, he goes to the back for a min)

THEN he hands me a FREAKING STACK of more paperwork.

2 appraisal forms. he tells me i have to get the bike appraised from 2 places. (time + money im sure to get this done....TWICE!) plus he says this is the value that i will have to pay 1.5 times the value in a bond for three years ...whatever that means,....it sounds expensive!

1 FREAKING PACKET! A PACKET I SAY! to take to the POLICE auto theft department, where they thoroughly (sp??) inspect the bike. check not just the numbers, but parts etc... im like WTF ( im tryin to leave asap), he is like well this certificate you have is for a stock motorcycle, and there is no telling what is on it now, and we have to know (im thinking why, its not like you people understand the difference between a muffler bearing and blinker fluid anyways). and i would have to come up with a list of parts for the bike.

this made no sense to me at all. the only way they know its a race bike is because i opened my big fat mouth. from now on my story is grandma rode it to church on sundays...PROVE IM LYING! better yet, they will have no reason to ask, cause im sure as not bringing THAT up again. from now on my story is it just sat in the garage and the owner was scared of it.

there were more forms too, a "statement of ownership" which is basicly a fill in the blank FBI investigation on crack...

...he tells me after that i have to submit it, they review it, write a letter (OMG no way) to approve blah blah...then more , etc...

(this would take months if i did what this guy says)

then there is some bond form...ive done a bonded title before, and didnt have to fill anything else out with it, but this guy was havin a field day.

i got another 130-u form of course, and some miscelanious brouchures and pamphlets filled with various registration info...im like WTF!!:BangHead: but at the same time :laughing6 cause i know well im not going through all that!

he tells me that is all, get all that done and come back to get that letter. and i am like "ok, but ummm,...can you tell me where that downtown office is?" he was . he knew hed never see me again.

he gave me the address but no directions (of course) and a really disapproving look. i think he knew what i was thinking. there is no way in i was gonna go through all that, and ill be damned if im not gonna find another way, and im gonna start by just asking someone else, LOL,

which is what i did. i found the downtown office, and made sure to genuinly ask the counterperson how their day was (THIS GOES A LONG WAY FOLKS, TRUST ME!)

i just asked her if there was a way to get my name on the certificate of origin, and she said YES! bottom line all i have to do is contact the original dealer (i looked them up and they are still there), and explain to them what happened. i fax 2 forms (just two, one is the 130-u, and the other is a simple "statement of fact" ), they have to mail it back to me, and then the registration office will litterally STRIKE THROUGH the original owners name with a typewriter and put mine on there! :notworthy

if all goes well, i can fax it out tomorrow, and if they mail it same day, i can try to get plates again next monday.

i allready have all the other paperwork i need, and i believe doing it this way means it might not even be a bonded title, but im not sure. im not sure if it would be considered out of state or not, i do know i would be considered the original owner as far as registration goes.

i know when i go back to the downtown office armed with the forms i might get the runaround again, but i know how to get around these folks. JUST KEEP TRYING!

SHORT VERSION / MORAL OF STORY:

if you run into red tape, just wait for a shift change. present your information in a different way, and ALWAYS ask people how their day is going, before you start in with your problem. all you have to do is try multiple times before you get told what you want to hear.

oh and one more thing...

never ever, in any circumstances, utter the word "Race" in a government office. :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6