Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 06:09 PM   #1
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Pilot EVO Custom Suit - Initial Thoughts

This year Ridesmart Motorcycle School put together an endurance team. It's been a rough rookie year as a team. We had a mechanical at TWS (Texas World Speedway), pit issues at Hallett, I broke my arm, missed Cresson and then Hallett. I think we are starting over with a new bike for Cresson and the future looks brighter, for sure. You can't be successful when it takes you 10 minutes to change a rear tire. :drool:

Anyway, I am an Arlen Ness die hard loyalist but I had an opportunity that I couldn't refuse on a brand new, custom Pilot Evo suit for the endurance racing and Ride Smart instructing duties. I was a bit reluctant because after wearing Kangaroo for the last 2 years I was dreading going back to cowhide. Mostly because of the weight and heat.

I was sent to the good folks at P1 racing to get measured. They basically take an off the rack suit and measure where the adjustments need to be made. Then I exchanged a few emails, regarding design and sponsor patch placement with Brandon and the final design was sent for production.

It took quite awhile to get the suit finished and this would be the only disappointment for me. Of course, Dave Wonders got involved in the designing part of it and if you've ever dealt with him and graphics then you can see how things might get delayed. LOL

When they suit was ready to be shipped, P1 gave me the heads up and the suit arrived right on time. I went over to P1, tried it on, and it fit like a glove! I'm a strangely shaped fella... 6'5", 235#, bird legs and a belly. :disturbed: Sometimes if the suit fits the torso, its too short in the legs. Or if if fits the legs, the torso and arms are too short, etc etc etc.

The suit is not nearly as heavy as I had expected it would be. Its relatively light. It's perforated all over the front side and surprisingly cool when riding. I am very happy and thoroughly impressed. I should have no issues with protection combining the Pilot suit with my Arlen Ness Kangaroo gloves and boots.

I will use this suit to endurance race and instruct. Because I have fallen in my previous Arlen Ness suit 10+ times and never suffered a scratch, I will wear it in the more, IMO, dangerous sprint racing. I've seen plenty of people crash in Pilot Suits and do not doubt that it will do it's job, however it's purpose it not sprint racing.

It's the same suit worn by Disalvo, Corey West, Domingez, and Dane Westby.

PS - The sleeve was supposed to rear "RideSmart.Info" but "you know who" got involved.

photo by: esi7esi7
33MSRC cw07162011

photo by: Blair Hart Photography
BlairHartECR7 30
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom suit: Pilot or Heroic? Jclark Taking it to the Track 29 11-26-2014 12:42 AM
thoughts on spidi sport evo h2out gloves craigntx Safety Corner Main 0 10-27-2011 05:30 PM
One piece suit - Your thoughts? Hebert General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 11-21-2010 01:54 PM
My new custom Xbox thoughts? Street Ninja Off Topic 29 07-19-2010 03:16 PM
your thoughts on pilot Roads MudBug General Discussion (Moto Related) 58 01-05-2010 12:11 PM
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Nice write up. Would you mind posting some pics detailing the stitching and the inside of the suit? Also, what would the cost be for a average schmuck such as myself? What was the turn around time from taking the measurements to delivery?

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Kingralphthe3rdsQueen

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
09 zx6

Sweet new get up Brandt !!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
Dr. Gonzo
BHCA...let's ride!!!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Trackdays: 1

Diggin the new suit, Brandt!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Nice write up. Would you mind posting some pics detailing the stitching and the inside of the suit? Also, what would the cost be for a average schmuck such as myself? What was the turn around time from taking the measurements to delivery?

Thanks.
I dont have a picture detailing the stitching but their website says this:

Quote:
• Most all seams are triple stitched with high-strength nylon thread for maximum strength and durability
An off the rack suit, altered, with whatever patches, names and stuff runs $1200 retail. Full custom, $1500.00.

I started the process of ordering in February and received the suit in July. I thought this was unusual but Ormand said his took equally as long. I can say that it was definitely worth the wait.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Came out great, man!
John's been tempting me to order one of these also.
Any shots of the back?
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

nice looking suit
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
Pabst214

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I dont have a picture detailing the stitching but their website says this:

An off the rack suit, altered, with whatever patches, names and stuff runs $1200 retail. Full custom, $1500.00.

I started the process of ordering in February and received the suit in July. I thought this was unusual but Ormand said his took equally as long. I can say that it was definitely worth the wait.
Brandt, thanks for the detailed and HONEST review of the product!! We couldn't be happier with the response we have received from all customers who have worn or purchased a Pilot suit from us.
Pabst214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
buzzltyr

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
09 Daytona 675
04 Daytona 600 (sold)
ninja 500 (sold)

nice!!!
buzzltyr is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement