MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Peregrine

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Track Suit Questions (1pc vs 2pc, Hot vs Cold) etc.

I'm going to start going to the track this month and so need to start looking at suits (even if I rent or borrow for the first time).

What do you guys recommend as far as one piece vs. two piece suits?

If you get a 2 piece do you guys wear the top with other pants when you ride around town?

What about when it's cold? Do you have two suits for the different times of the year since summer ones are vented?

Last, I have decided that I want a decent suit to start but don't want to spend $1,500+ for top of the line. Is there a general consensus at what price point you shouldn't go below if you're being prudent?

Thanks!

Last edited by Peregrine; 08-03-2011 at 09:32 PM. Reason: I a word.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Street Riding-1pc or 2pc leathers tbcaveman General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 09-29-2011 09:27 PM
1pc/2pc track/race leathers Ares Gear Talk 8 10-28-2009 01:25 AM
Aerostitch 1pc suit and RoadCrafter 2pc urbanXJ Gear Talk 6 04-06-2009 03:56 PM
Cold Track, Green Track, Tire Warmers and Cold Tires... cdill35 Taking it to the Track 40 11-24-2008 11:48 PM
1pc vs 2pc suit? PhilAnder Safety Corner Main 40 02-27-2006 11:06 AM
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I like a 1 peice at the track and a 2 peice around town, so If I want I can take the top off and look quasi normal when I want to/not on the bike.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
Blackjack
7Fiddy Ryda

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 750

Never, ever, ever use a 2 piece at the track. It can come apart in a crash and give you a nasty road rash. The best suits are kangaroo. Otherwise get an Arlen Ness or Alpinestars (higher end). I got an Arlen Ness kangaroo on closeout. It crashes well from experience.

See you at the track.
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

I have a two pc suit. Only because I only had enough for the jacket at the time when I started riding, I later bought the alpinestars track pants when I did my first track day. If you have the money to buy it all at once, definitely go for the one pc.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
switch
two fifty

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

1 piece. perforated if its a preference (you won't be doing that many COLD trackdays).

Brands of note:
Ride Smart Taichi: awesome suits. kinda on the pricey side, have heard nothing but good things.
Arlen Ness: awesome suits, especially the kangaroo suits (pm user Cdill35 for more info on them). i personally have Arlen boots & gloves, and i reeeally like them.
Pilot: awesome custom built suits. contact John with south central race center for info and pricing.
CatWalkLeather: pm me or google for info. awesome service, and awesome custom built suits.

all that being said, i wear an alpinestars suit (trigger model) no complaints. fits me, and its comfy. moderately priced.

CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #6
Vegas Kid

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Great info
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Kid View Post
Great info
i remember you.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
Peregrine

Bike(s):
Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
1 piece. perforated if its a preference (you won't be doing that many COLD trackdays).

Brands of note:
Ride Smart Taichi: awesome suits. kinda on the pricey side, have heard nothing but good things.
Arlen Ness: awesome suits, especially the kangaroo suits (pm user Cdill35 for more info on them). i personally have Arlen boots & gloves, and i reeeally like them.
Pilot: awesome custom built suits. contact John with south central race center for info and pricing.
CatWalkLeather: pm me or google for info. awesome service, and awesome custom built suits.

all that being said, i wear an alpinestars suit (trigger model) no complaints. fits me, and its comfy. moderately priced.

Awesome info man, thanks.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #9
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Never, ever, ever use a 2 piece at the track. It can come apart in a crash and give you a nasty road rash. The best suits are kangaroo. Otherwise get an Arlen Ness or Alpinestars (higher end). I got an Arlen Ness kangaroo on closeout. It crashes well from experience.

See you at the track.
BS! maybe a cheap suit with just a zipper in the back. a full circumference zippered 2 pc is solid. to the op. a 2pc worn seperatly doesn't work the same as wearing a jacket by itself. the jacket on a 2pc. is cut shorter that a standard street jacket. as far as hot/cold... I used to wear a windbreaker under my leathers when it started to get cold out to keep me warm. go with a perferated suit. if you plan on doing lots of track days get a 1pc. if you plan on doing just a few and plan to wear the leathers to weekend rides and such, get a 2 pc. that way you can sit and eat with the jacket off. plus, one pc suits are a pain in the to get on once you start getting sweaty.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575 View Post
BS! maybe a cheap suit with just a zipper in the back. a full circumference zippered 2 pc is solid...

I think a more reasonable answer to that question is probably somewhere in between. Current 2pc zippers on track suits are pretty strong and not very likely to break, but it's still an additional joint that can seperate under the dynamic stress loads of an accident.

My personal opinion is that I would most likely never have an issue with a 2pc zipper breaking, but I'm "that" guy. The one with the really bad luck. For my own self assurance I prefer the 1pc.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

With a one piece, you never have to worry about misplacing the top or the bottom
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
If you have the coin, get the one piece. They're required for racing, and that should tell you a little something about the added safety. Also, get a perforated. You might do 1 trackday a year where its cold enough that you might consider not wanting a perforated suit....might. Fieldsheer makes some good suits in the ~$800 range. Your best bet is to make the trip to Motorcycles Unlimited, and have them fit you properly. A lot of people can give opinions on what brands they "like" based on what they wear, but if you're not shaped like them, you can't wear that brand. I "like" alpinestars, but I just simply cannot fit into an a-stars suit because my thighs have too much meat. The fieldsheer is much roomier in this area. As is Joe Rocket.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #13
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Meaty is not a good thing in an Ride Smart Taichi suit either.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
gixxerman
Track Junkie Racing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000
2002 GSXR1000
95 CBR900RR
89 ZX7R
YAMAHA RADIAN 600

I have both 1 piece and 2 piece suits. I prefer the 1 piece for the track to eliminate the chance of a broken zipper, but I used to ride with the 2 piece at the track to. I use my 2 piece for street riding only.
I also wear the Teknic Suits myself. Some of the best around IMO. I've worn a lot of brands thru the years though and they all have evolved allot in comfort and protection. PM me I can get you a great deal on Teknic stuff or see my section Track Junkie Racing
See ya.

Need Body Work, Shorai batteries, Protection for your bike and body, Tire Warmers, Rearsets etc..? Come see us! We sale the top brands at the lowest prices around from Attack, Armour Bodies, Optimal Racing, Woodcraft, Forcefield, Chicken Hawk, Suzuka, Teknic, Sato Racing, Driven Racing, Arai, XT Racing and more!
www.Track-Junkie.com **Also swing by our trailer at all Fastline Motorcycle Events**
gixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

I wouldn't worry about cold weather when picking s suit. Remember global warming and this is Houston home of 365 days of riding season. the cold winter months are maybe 2 in a track season. I remember doing TWS (Texas World Speedway) earlier this year and it was 40 outside!! Man it totally sucked ...the parts that got cold where my hands and neck, I was wearing a perforated suit.
I have a BKS suit and love it. It's a top quality suit and if u catch it on sale the price is unbeatable. It was marked down from 999 to 699 and cycle gear had a 20% sale on anything marked down just be patient when looking....

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

One piece and perforated. If its cold, wear an extra layer inside the suit. If your hands get cold, wear some thin silk or lycra glove liners. Ty Howard recommended I get a Komodo one piece. I did and love it.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #17
babymilo36
(งಠ‿ಠ)ง

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2017 Grom

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

See you at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post

Brands of note:

Yes and yes

CMRA #620
Wreck it Pandas #68
babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Teknic, spidi, fieldsheer, cortech, shift, a*, pilot, arlen ness, Joe rocket, speed & strength.

All have great suits. Just beware of bottom end stuff. I always recommend buying more protection than you can afford. After all, your body should be priceless, and it really sucks to pay 4-500 for a suit and it only last for 1 small spill, or fail when you need it most.

Think of it like you were buying a bullet proof vest. Would you go to Walmart and buy a cheap one? Me personally, I'm going to want peace of mind knowing it will work when I need it most. Don't skimp on your protection.

Go 1 pc, and layer in the winter months. You can't survive a hot Texas day without perforation. Just be sure to have a reputable shop size you and start looking for closeouts

Last edited by FastLine; 08-04-2011 at 02:58 PM.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:58 PM   #19
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

1 piece for the track,

2 piece aint worth a when it comes to burst tests.

but it's your skin, wear what you like
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Another tip.
Tighter is better (except in the crotch). A loose suit will bunch and have wrinkles. In a crash the wrinkles will grind down as you slide and when you stand up your suit will have long, unrepairable holes in it.
A tight suit will have scuff marks but fewer and smaller holes.

Look at the suits the pros wear. Of course they are custom tailored and very expensive so, when buying off the rack, tighter is better.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement